What's the best way of doing this...

Author
Zuma
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 525
2011/02/19 20:21:12 (permalink)

What's the best way of doing this...

I've never recorded a cover. Usually just do my own obscure s***t. But I want to cover Joni Mitchell's "Furry Sings The Blues". I'm a good singer but I can't play this on guitar... not yet anyway. So I'm gonna approach somebody for the guitar track. Maybe somebody here or my buddy on the east coast. Anyway, would it be better to sing the vocal first and pass the track off to the guitarist? Just wondering what a guitarist would  prefer when doing a cover over the web?

http://zumajunction.bandcamp.com/

"the bus came by and I got on that's when it all began. There was cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never ever land."_

5 Replies Related Threads

Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re:What's the best way of doing this... 2011/02/19 22:00:28 (permalink)
    Track the basic rhythm first , and add a scratch vocal, make sure the tempo and phrasing are close to what you need for a final. Than work the rhythm and finished vocal to the final guitar track.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:What's the best way of doing this... 2011/02/20 14:26:55 (permalink)
    The more you have it sounding like the final tune.... missing of course, the guitar, the better off it will be for the guitarist to play their parts.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Zuma
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 525
    Re:What's the best way of doing this... 2011/02/20 17:47:01 (permalink)
    OK. Thanks to the both of you. Joni's stuff is tricky for me because of her penchant for alternate tunings. I think what I'll do is play the song and try to get the tempo and timing figured out first.

http://zumajunction.bandcamp.com/

"the bus came by and I got on that's when it all began. There was cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never ever land."_

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:What's the best way of doing this... 2011/02/21 09:11:36 (permalink)
    search the internet... there is a bunch of stuff, like lyrics and chord charts that might be useful.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Positively Charged
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 744
    Re:What's the best way of doing this... 2011/02/24 00:12:21 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

search the internet... there is a bunch of stuff, like lyrics and chord charts that might be useful.

Be careful.  Lots of viral stuff out there.  When it comes to lyrics, sheet music, or guitar tab, there is very little good stuff that is truly free while not exposing you to computer diseases, identity theft, or credit fraud.  This is why I used to buy a lot of fakebooks and such.

Until better solutions appear, I suggest scores written on old fashioned wood pulp.  I've had success with Amazon, Ebay, my local bookstores, and my local music supply stores.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1