Switching to MAC, need help

Author
neinmcguitar
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2011/02/21 19:45:45 (permalink)

Switching to MAC, need help

I have been using Pro Audio 9 for almost 15 years. I have a LOT of archived music and sound files. I have made the switch to using an iMAC, and I want to be able to still access all my old files. I would like to stay with Cakewalk, and would certainly consider upgrading to Sonar if I need to, but I need to be able to run in Mac OSX. Has anyone here tried running through Boot Camp or Parallels on a Mac?
If not, is there some other program out there (Pro-Tools, etc.) that can import/convert my BUN files?

Thanks!

2 Replies Related Threads

larrymcg
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1310
    Re:Switching to MAC, need help 2011/02/23 12:47:53 (permalink)
    I can't comment on running PA9 under Boot Camp or Parallels.

BUN files are proprietary to Cakewalk and I'm pretty sure that no other program can open them.
    I once moved from a Mac to a PC and had to use a brute force method that worked but wasn't much fun.  Based on my experience here's what I think you will have to do.

In PA9, open the BUN file and then export each audio track to a wav file.  Then export the midi tracks as a SMF (Standard Midi File).  Move the files to the Mac, open the SMF and import the wav files.  (I'm assuming that the Mac can import wav files or there is a utility that will convert to something the Mac likes.) 

This will get you back much, but not all, of the stuff you had in the PA9 project.  Some midi info can be lost because PA9 supports midi features that are a superset of the SMF standard.  There will also be issues with any real-time effects you used in PA9.  The exact same effects probably will not exist in the new environment so you will have to re-do them as closely as possible using the new effects.  I suppose you could apply the audio effects to the audio tracks in PA9 before you export them but then they are permanently in the audio and can't be changed.  If you have PA9 audio clips that do not start at the beginning of the track, you will have to manually move them to the appropriate times in the Mac environment.

Such a brute force approach is not any fun and can take a lot of time.  And then you don't end up with exactly what you started with.

Maybe you will get lucky and be able to run PA9 in Boot Camp or Parallels.  PA9 is not a big cpu hog so it might work.  I'd think that Sonar would require more resources.

--Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    neinmcguitar
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Switching to MAC, need help 2011/02/24 12:59:38 (permalink)
    Thanks. I am trying my best to avoid the brute force method, since I literally have thousands of files to deal with (many with 15, 20, even 30 tracks). I will probably try running through Boot Camp or Parallels.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1