Windows 7 Service pack 1

Author
JohnoL
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 241
2011/02/22 21:06:30 (permalink)

Windows 7 Service pack 1

Hey everyone,
this may be a pointless thread but I just installed Win 7 service pack 1 on my non-Daw computer.
No problems.

It took a while to download, I was expecting problems but I feel so good that it worked I just had to post.

9 Replies Related Threads

giankap
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re:Windows 7 Service pack 1 2011/02/22 21:26:43 (permalink)
    congrats! but why were you so excited? did anyone say that there are problems while installing th sp1 for windows 7?

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
    JohnoL
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 241
    Re:Windows 7 Service pack 1 2011/02/22 21:35:21 (permalink)
    giankap

congrats! but why were you so excited? did anyone say that there are problems while installing th sp1 for windows 7?

No, but usually major service packs have a lot of problems. I had a nightmare with a Vista service pack.

I also thought since it was just released today that someone might want to know that there was a least one success story.
    Genghis
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 827
    Re:Windows 7 Service pack 1 2011/02/22 22:02:27 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing John.  I'm still a little hesitant to be an early adopter myself, but it is good to hear at least one success story.  You never know with big updates like this how it will affect your DAW.

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
    My Music is Here
    Studio Cat DAW
    craigb
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re:Windows 7 Service pack 1 2011/02/23 02:10:59 (permalink)
    Genghis

I'm still a little hesitant to be an early adopter myself, but it is good to hear at least one success story.  

Kind of funny, but that's why I usually wait until the first service pack comes out before upgrading - I figure they should have all the major bugs ironed out by then (hmm... who irons bugs anyway?  I guess if don't take them out of the dryer right away...).

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Windows 7 Service pack 1 2011/02/23 06:49:01 (permalink)
    Basically SP1 is just a compilation of previously issused items. No new "fixes" or changes/addtions.  Sort of a testimony that they got it "right" to start with on Win 7.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    craigb
    Re:Windows 7 Service pack 1 2011/02/23 10:59:58 (permalink)
    fireberd

Basically SP1 is just a compilation of previously issused items. No new "fixes" or changes/addtions.  Sort of a testimony that they got it "right" to start with on Win 7.

Heh, unfortunately that's sort of a Microsoft first then!

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Windows 7 Service pack 1 2011/02/24 07:26:25 (permalink)
    Here is an overview from a newsletter I recently received:

And for those of you who followed the conventional wisdom and are waiting for the first service pack before installing Microsoft's newest OS, you waited without good cause. Win 7 SP1 sports a little nip here and a roll-up tuck there — but there's not a single significant enhancement to Win7.

And that's good news. It seems, for once, Microsoft turned out a major new product that was relatively problem-free, right from the start.

Service Pack 1's most significant improvements

Uh, there really aren't any. At least not for the average PC user. (SP1 does have a few nifty new features for Windows Server 2008 R2.) No need to take my word for it. Download Microsoft's official description, "Notable changes in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1," available on a Microsoft Download Center page, and see for yourself. "The impact of SP1 on the Windows 7 client operating system is considered to be minimal. Included changes address minor usability issues in specific scenarios," according to the unusually sedate Microsoft manifesto.

To save you a bit of time and effort, here's a summary:
  • Higher-definition connections with Remote Desktop: If you use Remote Desktop (I prefer the third-party service LogMeIn), installing SP1 on both PCs sets up high-definition connection via a new technology Microsoft calls RemoteFX. Snappy name. Based on virtualization technology (info page) Microsoft acquired two years ago when it bought Calista Technologies, RemoteFX makes it possible for full graphics to show through on remote sessions. Someday, we're promised, you'll be able to use RemoteFX with your phone. I'm not holding my breath — I'm not even sure I'd want it.

• More Windows Live ID support: A technology Microsoft calls "Microsoft Federation Gateway" will give SP1-enhanced PCs improved Windows Live ID authentication to non-Microsoft sites, using a long-established Web services protocol known as the WS-Federation Passive Requestor Profile. I thought Win7 already had WS-Federation profiles (detailed in an MSDN article) nailed, but apparently some fix is necessary.

• An HDMI patch: I have no idea why MS emphasizes this as one of the noteworthy changes in Win7 SP1. It's a bug fix to keep HDMI working when a PC is rebooted.

• An XML Paper Specification fix: The 10 of you who actually use XPS instead of PDF will be pleased that SP1 fixes a print bug affecting mixed portrait and landscape documents.

• Even more-obscure fixes: These include restoring previous folders at sign-in, IKEv2 protocol improvements (used in VPN connections), and a hotfix rollup from November (KB 982018) for Advanced Format disks. Little stuff.
    This is a case where "SP" stands for "slim pickings."

• "GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    craigb
    Re:Windows 7 Service pack 1 2011/02/24 11:55:38 (permalink)
    fireberd

The 10 of you who actually use XPS instead of PDF will be pleased that SP1 fixes a print bug affecting mixed portrait and landscape documents.

LOL!

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1