The River

Author
jsykes
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 631
2011/02/23 00:44:58 (permalink)

The River

I always enjoy sharing my songs on the forum. Here is one I did this week.

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_7402495

First time I've posted from ReverbNation so I'm not sure what the view is among forum members. Always appreciate your listens and whatever feedback is offered up.

Sykes

Sonar Homestudio XL
Dell laptop
Echo Layla
Takamine EAN-15C
Ibanez Artcore
Electoharmonix, Digitech, Tubescreamer, AdrennaLinn
Advice from forum members

4 Replies Related Threads

paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:The River 2011/02/24 17:20:30 (permalink)
    Has a nice feel to it, but the drums sound kind of thin to me and some of the vocal delivery sounds a little awkward - like you've got too many words to get in to the line if that makes sense, so I might be inclined to work on those areas. Don't think I've ever commented on anything by you before, so I'll add my usual disclaimer that these are just my opinions as a listener - don't claim to be any kind of expert - still trying to figure it all out myself !
    jsykes
    Re:The River 2011/02/24 19:31:57 (permalink)
    Hi Paulo. Thanks for the listen. I think I agree with you about that specific drum loop. I haven't liked it much so far either. 

I wrote this song a long time ago and can't sing it in the higher way I used to so I delivered it in a lower register, which may have took my focus away from delivering the lines.

I'll take a look at those areas.

Thanks again.

Sonar Homestudio XL
    Dell laptop
    Echo Layla
    Takamine EAN-15C
    Ibanez Artcore
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:The River 2011/02/25 13:29:40 (permalink)
    Wow, I love those chords and the way you use them.  Music with this beat really makes me move and it makes me happy.  I like the instrumental part and the vocal is not a bad vocal, it just seems with a really strong vocal and harmonies this could be a great tune.  I know what you mean about the octave thing.  I have the same problem.  All in all, a really good tune.  I can't comment on the lyrics because it takes me a few listens to get past the music to the lyrics. 

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    jsykes
    Re:The River 2011/02/25 14:37:00 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for your encouraging reply. The main chord is an Amaj13 played as a triad with open A on 5th string and then the C# on 4th string at 11th fret to start the triad. So it is way up there.  The other main chord is a G#m7.

I have always liked this song because it was a hopeful song and at that time I was writing mostly downers.
    I just began playing bass in the last couple of years and I am working on establishing a groove as opposed to my first inclination which is to noodle.

I will probably give the vox another shot next week. 

Thanks again for listening.

Sonar Homestudio XL
    Dell laptop
    Echo Layla
    Takamine EAN-15C
    Ibanez Artcore
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1