having issues with my speaker setup

Author
7-string_guy
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
2011/02/23 22:37:49 (permalink)

having issues with my speaker setup

I took the advise of a few of you and now it appears i have to relearn mixing with this current setup..

previously, i had my near field monitors on desks with no mopad close to the wall and i learned the sound of the room well enough to record and mix that way...i heard plenty of bass and kick drum.

now, i got myself a pair of monitor stands with mopad, and have them 2 feet away from the wall, and am correctly positioned in the room with an the even triangle from speakers to listener.

The bass and kick drum have almost disappeared....The sound of my mixes are now strange and foreign to me...not just my mixes but any music i listen to now.

so i guess i have to relearn it all....or am i learning it for the first time correctly...

either way...im kind of at a loss...

suggestions or thoughts?

I7 2600k 3.4g on a ASUS MB with 16 gb of ram
FireFace 400 AI / Sonar 8.5 Producer / ToonTrack Superior Drummer 2
Alesis M1 Active MKII / Ibanez 7 string / Fender Super-Sonic
Schecter studio 5 bass / Boss Dr. Rhythm 880 , also Yamaha DTX full rack drum pad trigger system

20 Replies Related Threads

Positively Charged
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 744
    Re:having issues with my speaker setup 2011/02/23 22:52:48 (permalink)
    Which monitors, the Alesis?

What size is the woofer in those?

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:having issues with my speaker setup 2011/02/23 23:09:19 (permalink)
    Well this can be an isasue and I can almost say that what you were doing before was probably incorrect and what you are doing now might be much more accurate.

Having speakers close to walls and on tables can create all sorts of issues. Not only with bass build up in the corners and near walls etc but also with other surfaces vibrating that should not be.

I downloaded the manual for your speakers and it says that you have to block up ports etc if you are close to walls. So I asume you have unblocked any ports etc...Are you in the best position in the room now. Maybe you are smack in the middle of a low frequency null point (standing wave) and that is why you are not hearing any low end. Can you move one or both speakers around the room a bit to try and perhaps determine if there is a better sound to be had somewhere else. Also what happens if you move around while the speakers are playing. Is the low end present in other parts of the room?

But putting speakers on MoPads and on stands is a step in the right direction. There was a whole thread devoted to that a while ago. My speakers are on heavy concrete stands and I just love the sound of them now, they are seriously better than before. To confirm how things sound you need to take a very well mixed and mastered CD somewhere else where you know you are listening to an accurate system and have a good listen in there. Then come back and compare that to how your speakers sound now and you might find they are closer to that sound than you think.

My guess is you may be in a bad position now and you need to get away from that and try listening to your monitors in another part of the room. Stick it out because once you get used to the sound of them well isolated like that on stands you will never go back and you mixes will only get better.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2011/02/23 23:18:02

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    7-string_guy
    Re:having issues with my speaker setup 2011/02/24 11:19:23 (permalink)
    @ positively charged - 5 inch, i hear 8's are better..

@ jeff evans - I think this just took some tweaking and an ear adjustment to get used to.  I had a fresh listen with the current setup and spread out a little more and now I think it sounds better. it may not have been as bad as i originally said. For the last few years, i used tables and was used to it. I have Auralex on all the walls in big 3 x 3 patches. I was used to the bass increase and now that it is correct, i noticed a big difference. I always wondered how others were hearing things that i could not. and now i know.

The room is relatively small....8.5 x 10.. So now I'm facing the long way instead of the short. I think a few more hours will adjust me to the room and the correct way of things. thanks

Schecter studio 5 bass / Boss Dr. Rhythm 880 , also Yamaha DTX full rack drum pad trigger system
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:having issues with my speaker setup 2011/02/24 11:42:04 (permalink)
    I hate to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but shouldn't your speakers be firing down the long dimension of your room?

Like this:

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:having issues with my speaker setup 2011/02/24 12:03:08 (permalink)
    Colin's right - the speakers should be positioned like he has in the diagram.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:having issues with my speaker setup 2011/02/24 14:39:59 (permalink)
    why would you want to spread 'nearfield' monitors, 8' or more apart, in a 8-1/2 foot wide room?

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Jeff Evans
    Re:having issues with my speaker setup 2011/02/24 15:05:49 (permalink)
    I agree with batsbrew here. Don't forget the equilateral triangle approach. Speakers should be about 3 feet apart (maybe just over) and get them away from the corners and away from the back wall as much as you can as well. You should be positioned about 3 feet or so from each speaker as well.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:having issues with my speaker setup 2011/02/24 15:49:55 (permalink)
    If you are mixing on 5" speakers, they are almost certainly going to have a serious bass deficiency. It's likely that the bass buildup you were getting with the speakers close to the wall was disguising the lack of bass from the speakers. Now you're hearing them more accurately, and it's only now become obvious that they were lacking bottom all along.

You're still ahead of the game, though, because that artificial bass was not uniform and therefore not representative of what was really going on in your mixes. At least now you're starting from a more realistic place.

Your best bet, if you can afford it, is to add a subwoofer to cover those missing frequencies. Of course, without careful placement of the subwoofer you could easily find yourself right back in the same situation, with unrealistic bass. It can be tricky finding the right spot for a sub in a small room.

You are right, 8" speakers would extend the range downward enough that you wouldn't need a sub, and although that's a better solution it's also going to be more expensive. That's why I suggested a subwoofer - it's cheaper than buying new nearfields. I use a little M-Audio 10" sub that works well, gets down to 28Hz and only set me back $400. I have the crossover set low so it only takes over where my (7.25") main speakers fall off, around 50Hz.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    7-string_guy
    Re:having issues with my speaker setup 2011/02/24 18:20:33 (permalink)
    @ batsbrew - what? where did you read that...lol

yes that diagram is correct for how i have it set up now. i may have wrote that wrong... speakers are down the longest side.  and about 4 feet apart due to my desk centered in between. one foot on wall sides and about 20 inches from short wall.
    post edited by 7-string_guy - 2011/02/24 18:36:55

7-string_guy
    Re:having issues with my speaker setup 2011/02/24 18:32:56 (permalink)
    Before:

After :

and my tv grew to 32 inches, cool

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:having issues with my speaker setup 2011/02/24 18:39:47 (permalink)

@ batsbrew - what? where did you read that...lol 

Bristol_Jonesey POSTED a pic showing where your speakers should be.

YOU posted that your room is 8.5 x 10

the speakers in bristol's pic are located almost in the corner of the 8 foot 6" side, so that means they're roughly 8' apart, as shown in the pic.

it's basic arithmetic.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Jeff Evans
    Re:having issues with my speaker setup 2011/02/24 19:11:10 (permalink)
    Looking at those pics and seeing where you sit and where the speakers are I can say that in my opionin they are too far apart. Many make this mistake. Also are they at the right height. Are your ears in line with the tweeters etc.  I am also not a big fan of laying them down horizontally either. (they are not really designed that way) The tweeters are more extended than the woofers sideways.  Stand them up the right way and lower the stands a bit. You might also find things sound different as well.

The soundfield that extends between two speakers is like a parallel ribbon. If they are too close, you get a bulging of energy around the centre and things that are panned centre sound too loud. Hence you will hold them back. Speakers that are too far away from each other create a weakness in the centre and things panned centre end up a little low in volume. You tend to compensate by bringing centered tracks up a bit. These centered parts can sound too loud on other more accurate systems. (Another great reason for using a small mono speaker at low volume for checking things, it eliminates all these variables)

The priorty is to get the speakers the corrcet distance apart, not placing LCD monitor screens. This is the reason why very large screens are in fact silly unless you can get them sitting in between or just behind the speakers. Set the speakers first and then deal with monitors screens after that. It could also explain the lack of low end. When they are the correct distance apart the bottom end will reinforce each other nicely in the centre too.

A great test is to listen carefully (blindfolded) while two friends pull your speakers apart slowly. You need a long piece of wood or plank to do this properly. Start with them too close, after a while you will hear everything sounding great and you get a nice ghost in the centre image as well. When they go too far apart, the ghost in the centre falls apart and disappears. So then you bring them just back in for that strong ghost in the centre image again. You can do this with your monitors in mono as well. It emphasises the ghost in the centre image.

Your mixes will get much better when you get this set correctly. But as I said the equilateral triange is pretty darn close. I sit 1.1 meters away from each of my monitors and they are 1.1 meters apart. They sound perfect like that. You need to get a tape measure out and cheack all this accurately. Don't do it by eye only.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2011/02/24 19:23:08

7-string_guy
    Re:having issues with my speaker setup 2011/02/24 20:38:46 (permalink)
    thanks guys... I'll move them inwards a bit with a measure tape for accuracy.

Edit : I got them to an even 36 inches apart. I'll try that out. My problem with having them upright is that the stands are at their lowest setting. so with the mopad, they stand at 37 inches off the floor. Also, i have a two year old and i'm afraid that she will knock them off cause they look slightly more unstable standing up. I see lots of studios with them on their side and cant really hear a difference either way. They feel more balanced horizontally on these "On-stage-stands." Peace of mind is a big factor with this child running rampant in the house when i'm at work.

It's bad enough that i had to put little white tape arrows on every knob in the studio because she is a button pusher and a knob turner. Im sure many of you can relate. "WHO THE EFF CHANGED MY SETTINGS?????  ARRRRGGGGG!!!!!"

yes, a lock on the outside of the door may be my next big buy....
    post edited by 7-string_guy - 2011/02/24 21:01:42

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:having issues with my speaker setup 2011/02/25 01:22:48 (permalink)
    I used to have those same speakers. On the advice of the manufacturer, I stuffed socks into the ports. Surprisingly, it helped to even out the rough low end. What worked best was only plugging one port on each side. For real.

I used white athletic socks on the presumption that 100% cotton would be more acoustically absorbent than a polyester blend. However, they were not cosmetically pleasing and invited ridicule from visitors, so I switched to dark gray foam.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Positively Charged
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 744
    Re:having issues with my speaker setup 2011/02/25 01:27:53 (permalink)
    Dude, I'm not about to tell you how to place your speakers.  Mine are all wrong and soon to be more so, at least for a period of time...

But what I WILL tell you is that you need to start locking the door to your studio while you are away, or your child will end up destroying your equipment or badly injuring herself.

1.  Kids push all buttons, sliders, and knobs.  It's what they do.  Eventually some setting will be acheived that will destroy a piece of gear.  It will not be her fault.  It is yours because you are the adult.

2.  Kids push their fingers, toys, pencils, butter knives, or whatever is at hand into speaker domes and cones.  It's what they do.  You have been warned.

3.  Kids put peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to floppy drives, CD and DVD drives, and even smartcard or USB ports.  It's cute until it was your DAW that she tried to feed.

4.  Kids pull on cords, cables, and stands.  If one of those speakers falls, she might be maimed or even killed!

Lock the damned door, if not to preserve your equipment, at least do it for her safety!
    post edited by Positively Charged - 2011/02/25 01:29:54
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:having issues with my speaker setup 2011/02/25 05:42:05 (permalink)
    batsbrew

why would you want to spread 'nearfield' monitors, 8' or more apart, in a 8-1/2 foot wide room?
    Sorry - that wasn't to scale.

The equilateral triangle set up is the way to go - about 4-6 feet between speakers and the same to your ears should be about right.

I personally can't work at anything like 3 feet away - it's too close.

post edited by Bristol_Jonesey - 2011/02/25 05:44:26

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    Re:having issues with my speaker setup 2011/02/25 06:13:51 (permalink)
    I always loved my M1A Mk1's (I used to run them 'socked up' also). Still have 'em but don't use them so much, they tend to come out for parties rather than music making these days!)

Couple of things:

They really do work better standing up rather than lying down, I didn't believe this until I tried it myself!

The manual goes in to a fair bit of detail about positioning, you should run them 'tweeters in' (regardless of if you're using them vertically or horizontally) your picture shows that you have them set 'tweeters out'.

Child
    7-string_guy
    Re:having issues with my speaker setup 2011/02/25 10:46:21 (permalink)
    you know, i never took the plastic off the manual...lol...It seems both placements are recommended by Alesis:

right from the manual :
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HORIZONTAL PLACEMENT:

Horizontal placement is a recommended arrangement with the M1's because the left and right mirror-image pair permits a symmetrical alignment of drivers and ports. This will be conductive to a balanced mix. skipping along --- The (vocal) image will be narrower than if the speakers are placed vertically, it will be possible to place the vocalist with great precision at center stage. In this orientation there will be less chance of first reflections from either sidewalls or the console coloring your mix..

VERTICAL PLACEMENT :

Vertical placement of the M1's is highly recommended. This position will simulate the soundfield that will be heard in most consumers' homes and (to a great extent) their cars. For this reason, even if the M1's are positioned horizontally for all of your mixing, the vertical position should always be used in the final "playback check" mode.

There are a couple of drawbacks to vertical placement of a nearfield monitor relating mostly to room interaction effects. Vertical placement allows the M1's to portray your mix with the widest and deepest soundstage possible, so many people in the control room have an image of the "sweet spot". However, this dispersion pattern in a control room with walls in too close proximity to the speakers can add strong reflections to the sound you hear, muddying your mix. and so on

So it seems you need both ways, and it depends on the room....

one more excerpt from the manual :

Generally, in the playback check mode, you want to arrange the speakers in the same equilateral listening triangle that you do in the nearfield setup, but instead of each side of the triange being about 3 feet long, the distances between stereo speakers and to your listening position should be between 7 and 12 feet. <------what?????

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    yes , i put the tweeters in as recommended. thanks again. seems individual results may vary....

Zenwit
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 191
    Re:having issues with my speaker setup 2011/02/25 15:42:26 (permalink)
    7-string_guy

you know, i never took the plastic off the manual...lol...It seems both placements are recommended by Alesis:

right from the manual :
    one more excerpt from the manual :

Generally, in the playback check mode, you want to arrange the speakers in the same equilateral listening triangle that you do in the nearfield setup, but instead of each side of the triange being about 3 feet long, the distances between stereo speakers and to your listening position should be between 7 and 12 feet. <------what?????

multi-"way" (2-way, 3-way etc) speakers do require a minimum stand back distance to allow the multiple elements generated by the multiple drivers to blend together into a single sound field at the listeners position.  Tweeter placement and design often involves tackling the phenomenon of beaming.  The mid-woofer on a 2-way spreads sound out all over the place while the tweeter is like a tightly focused flashlight.  Remember that the sound field, as it travels outward from the speaker, forms a cone shape more or less.  If you sit too close the tweeter hits your ears directly while the all important midrange, where the critical vocal range resides, undershoots your ears.  You'll know you've got this little problem if the slightest wiggle left or right of your head causes the image of the sound to change drastically.

I used to sell ridiculously expensive audio gear to audiophiles.  Can't count the number of times someone wanted to buy a massive set of tower speakers, typically with 5 or more drivers on the face like the bigger ProAc speakers and I'd tell them they were wasting their time and money.  Not because their room was too small to support the bass output but because they couldn't sit far enough back for all those drivers to blend into a single sound field.  They usually did much better with a set of smaller 2-ways or even more cool a pair of electrostatics (Quad) that are a full range single element planar speaker.

post edited by Zenwit - 2011/02/25 15:46:35

Sonar Platinum x64  Windows 10 x64
    Couple of guitars, a bass, bunch of plugins, not enough time....

Zenwit
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 191
    Re:having issues with my speaker setup 2011/02/25 15:47:49 (permalink)
    One of these days I'll learn how to use the quote option on these messages.  Groan.....

Sonar Platinum x64  Windows 10 x64
    Couple of guitars, a bass, bunch of plugins, not enough time....

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1