left right

Author
kmsomethingmore
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 90
2011/02/23 23:58:36 (permalink)

left right

Hi all,
Am I correct that making a clone track of my acoustic and then panning one left 90% or so, and one right 90%, I end up with one track dead center with no pan, or am I getting a wider sound with left and right 90% each?  Is it best to change the EQ of one side to make it stand different? Thanks for your help!

11 Replies Related Threads

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:left right 2011/02/24 01:05:35 (permalink)
    The best way to do it is to actually play it twice, changing the sound in a way that complements the original. Then, either way you do it, take one and push it forward in time maybe 10ms and the other and push it backwards the same. Then it will get very wide and leave a lot of room in the middle. If it's really percussive though the difference in time can become more obvious.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Positively Charged
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 744
    Re:left right 2011/02/24 01:16:40 (permalink)
    A lot of hardware synths use the concept of "multisamples", where they activate as many as two, four, or more samples with each keypress.

A really pretty piano sound can contain samples from two or more pianos, a couple of violins or string sections, as well as a bell, chime, or xylophone, along with a few dozen internal EQ's, reverbs, a delay or two, and other effects.  Even with all that going on, a lot of people would still call it a piano.

I know this doesn't help you with your acoustic guitar recording, but I thought it might help contribute to general understanding.  Maybe you'll win a trivia contest one day.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:left right 2011/02/24 07:17:03 (permalink)
    kmsomethingmore

Hi all,
    Am I correct that making a clone track of my acoustic and then panning one left 90% or so, and one right 90%, I end up with one track dead center with no pan, or am I getting a wider sound with left and right 90% each?  Is it best to change the EQ of one side to make it stand different? Thanks for your help!

To answer your questions, 1 - you're right - all you're listening to is mono
    2, doesn't matter what you do with the EQ, as you need to introduce pitch and/or time variations to get a stereo spread.

You could try nudging the clone up/down a few cents and/or a few milliseconds, but don't be surpirsed if the result is horrible.

The best way is to do what droddey suggets, and record the thing twice. Now you can pan it and it will sound huge.

When recording the second take, try using a slightly different playing/picking technique, but also try and get the rhythm as close to the original as possible.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    giankap
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re:left right 2011/02/24 07:26:49 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

kmsomethingmore

Hi all,

To answer your questions, 1 - you're right - all you're listening to is mono
    2, doesn't matter what you do with the EQ, as you need to introduce pitch and/or time variations to get a stereo spread.

You could try nudging the clone up/down a few cents and/or a few milliseconds, but don't be surpirsed if the result is horrible.

The best way is to do what droddey suggets, and record the thing twice. Now you can pan it and it will sound huge.

When recording the second take, try using a slightly different playing/picking technique, but also try and get the rhythm as close to the original as possible.

+1

in case you have melodyne, you can import your recording there and use a special preset they have which moves every single note randomly by 5-10 ms. usualy they do it in vocals and I have never tried it on a guitar, but i think that it'll work.

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:left right 2011/02/24 14:39:10 (permalink)
    +1

I've done it with Melodyne Editor; guitar and vox are very similar, IMHO.

You can also experiment with slap-back delay or pre-delay ... 32-50msecs.  But if you do 2 seperate recordings you will have that Hass Effect that sounds so great with acoustic guitars, rhythm guitars, and guitars that accomodate a vocal.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:left right 2011/02/24 15:49:01 (permalink)
    try going 100% hard left/right with the 2 tracks...

leave one alone.
    move the other somewhere between 20-40ms. i'd move it back on the timeline (AFTER the original signal)

mix them at the same volume (you can link them to move together) for a upfront sound....

or, blend the 2nd moved track more to the background, and let the original stand louder, basically you'll move the 'panning' towards the original.

you could also put a reverb on the cloned-moved track, and move it back even further..
    there are a hundred different variations of this theme....

only time and experimentation will tell you what works for you.

i prefer what philip suggested, which would be to actually play the part again, and pan them hard L/R, and blend.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:left right 2011/02/24 16:26:59 (permalink)
    I use a right click on the track....go to the bottom item in the box..... CLIP PROPERTIES. select it and edit the Clip starting point.  It would be .000 if the clip starts at the beginning of the time line. change it to .030 and see how it sounds. You can always go more, less or return to .000 ...experiment and see if it works. This works IF the track is one whole recording and no other clips exist in the track.... if there are multiple clips they must be moved too by the same amount.

With cloned tracks sometimes you will get phase problems with small moves because they are exact duplicates. A second recording eliminates that possibility. experiment with the last 3 numbers and you can move the clip one click at a time...( millisecond? or some other cakewalk unit of measurement)

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. give it a shot and see.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:left right 2011/02/25 02:36:57 (permalink)
    I would say though, even if you play it twice, which is very preferable, nudging the two parts 20 or so MS apart from each other will drastically widen them and reduce how much they have in common (which is the same as saying drastically reduce how much they have in the middle of the stereo image.)

As mentioned, it has to be more than just a few MS, which often just makes it worse due to cancellations. Once you get somewhere up above 15ms to 20ms, it starts really widens out. You might want to slightly play with the relative volumes once you do that, to reduce any apparent difference in timing, i.e. the last one heard might now slightly louder since it happens later, that kind of thing.

But with two really differently played parts, which using a complementary tone, and then nudged, it can become very wide. Also keep in mind that our ears are much more directional at higher frequencies. So if you really want it to sound wide, reduce the low frequency content. That's partly why if you have something like a shaker or really high passed tinkly acoustic guitars hard panned they really sound like they out there a long way because it has very little low frequency content, and becomes very directional.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:left right 2011/02/25 05:39:07 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

This works IF the track is one whole recording and no other clips exist in the track.... if there are multiple clips they must be moved too by the same amount. 

You can avoid this easily just by selecting all the clips in the track and Bouncing to Clip.

But you knew this already GH

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:left right 2011/02/25 07:32:07 (permalink)
    +1 for recording two different takes and panning hard left and right.  You'll be suprised at how much difference that makes - without moving either one.  You've got to make sure your timing is good otherwise it can sound sloppy.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:left right 2011/02/25 08:07:26 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

Guitarhacker

This works IF the track is one whole recording and no other clips exist in the track.... if there are multiple clips they must be moved too by the same amount. 

You can avoid this easily just by selecting all the clips in the track and Bouncing to Clip.

But you knew this already GH

Yeah... I did...and I do.... select all the clips and bounce to a new track...make it "one"....when I need to. Since I don't very often use guitar or vocal doubling this is not something I do very often.

There are times where I have taken a compete track and snipped before and after " an audio event" and nudged the split clip one way or the other.... but that's another topic.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1