I love Al Schmit!

Author
jamescollins
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 747
2011/02/24 08:14:13 (permalink)

I love Al Schmit!

Well not the man - never met him - but his work. I just sat and listened to a few albums he's done for Diana Krall in 5.1 and don't think I've ever enjoyed listening to recorded music so much. Everything about it was just sensational - Diana is just brilliant, and everything Al has done, I just think it wonderful. So much depth, and if you haven't listened to any of his surround work, do it, because it will change your life!

I guess there isn't much of a point to this thread, just thought I'd share my excitement today. It's quite rare I get a chance to just sit and listen to music these days, and even if I have the time, I'm usually all 'music-ed out' from the day's recording. But business has been slow recently, which ain't good for the family, but it is good in a way, as I've been able to catch up on some studio maintenance, do a lot of work on my own music, and just listen to great music.

So anyway, Al Schmit is the man, and I'm learning a lot from listening to his work!

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
jamescollinsmusic.com

6 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:I love Al Schmit! 2011/02/24 15:48:06 (permalink)
    Hi James this is a good thing to do. In fact one of the best ways possible to seriously improve your recording, mixing and mastering skills is to listen. Listen to as many well recorded productions as you can and as often as you can. Because this builds up information in your mind as to what constitutes good sounding anything. Vocals, instruments etc.

When you are tracking and mixing etc the more stuff you have heard means you have got something to reference to in your mind. eg if you are say equing an acoustic guitar how do you know when it sounds good. If you have very strong mental pictures and memories as to great acoutsic guitar sounds then you have a reference point. You will find it much easier.

Don't get over technical about sound production. Some here would have you believe don't rely on your ears and make sure you measure and have a full technical knowledge of what you are doing. But they are simply wrong. These people don't know how to use their ears, simple as that. Using extra tools is fine and great but start with your ears first not the tools.

Use your ears, they are better than any technical measurement and they reveal so much about how things sound. And although listening may not reveal excatly how a certain sound may have been achieved but they certainly let you know what you are striving for.

Al Scmitt has a long list of wonderful albums to his credit including many Steely Dan productions among others. Try and track some of those down and have a good listen. They do show off how great the recording medium can be and how high to aim.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2011/02/24 16:02:59

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:I love Al Schmit! 2011/02/24 15:51:24 (permalink)
    "These people don't know how to use their ears, simple as that."

That is terribly insulting.

Many of us that use and recommend the use of extra tools have ample experience listening.

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:I love Al Schmit! 2011/02/24 15:58:30 (permalink)
    Something like 15 Grammies, he clearly knows what he's doing! He won his first Grammy when he was just a teenager. But he's also a very cool guy who's always been generous in sharing his vast knowledge of recording. Unfortunately, his advice always begins with "start with a U47...".

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:I love Al Schmit! 2011/02/24 16:06:43 (permalink)
    Yes, it occurs to me that I have been LISTENING to Al Schmidt's work for at least 45 years, maybe a bit more.

jamescollins
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 747
    Re:I love Al Schmit! 2011/02/24 20:13:04 (permalink)
    Amen to that Jeff. It was a very timely reminder that I need to make time to listen to the best stuff, even if i don't feel like it - it is essential to development. I guess I was also so impacted because I've been doing a lot of alt rock and rap (ughh) lately, so it was so refreshing to hear great music, played by great players, with a true master behind the desk. 

And Dave, I laughed when I read your post - he does indeed start off every interview by telling us we need a U47. And not just any, but his!

I've emailed him a couple of times, and have always received a very polite response from his secretary, "Thank you for your kind words, however, Mr. Schmitt does not do consultations at this time."  It was worth a shot.

I'm actually in the process of recording my next album in 5.1 (which has been so much fun!) and I am saving my pennies to hopefully have him do a mix of one of the tracks (this is for my original work, not my classical work). No doubt if I was in conversation with him I could pick his brain a little. I'll let you know everything he says if it ever happens! He may not even do single mixes...

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    bmdaustin
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1114
    Re:I love Al Schmit! 2011/02/26 19:15:47 (permalink)
    Check out the latest Pat Williams big band CD - Aurora. It's available through www.artistshare.com

Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    http://www.bakersjazzandmore.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1