Questions about reamping and takeing a Di from my amp.....

Author
Norrie
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1665
2011/02/25 18:31:43 (permalink)

Questions about reamping and takeing a Di from my amp.....

Hi all

So Today I treated my self to a BlackStar Ht-5s Vintage limited Edition
http://www.guitar.co.uk/a...ition_valve_mini_stack
I managed to get the rig for £399 so made a bit of a saveing

I also bought a SE R1 Ribbon Mic
http://www.seelectronics.com/R1_Ribbon.html
I managed to get one new for just £ 145 !!!!!!!

I hope its good for recording the new amp..... I guess I will find out tomorow haha

I am one happy Norrie  and excited to try them

With all that said I have 3 questions I hope you can help me with

I have bought this amp and mic and useing a Sm57 aswell I plan to learn to mic it up as I have never miced up guitar cabs and recorded before untill now I have always recorded useing pod farm guitar rig 4 or my Vamp pro recording a dry signal then sending it to the Vamp and  so I can tweek the settings till I find something I like then freeze the track and so on.

So I have a load of songs I have ben working on that I can take the freeze off and be left with dry guitar tracks so I would love to re amp through the BlackStar and learn to mic them up

So Question 1 - is it safe to just go from an out put of my VS-700 with a guitar lead and run it straight in to the BlackStar HT-5 ?

Question 2 - The HT -5 has a cool feature that will let me use the head on its own and has a line out for recording with a 2x12 and a 4x12 amp emulation. When I take the conection from the amp to the line in on my VS-700 do I need to adjust the pre at all ? or do I just sadjust the setings to get the signal right at the amp head and also do I have the -20 pad on or off ?

Last Question is about the place ment of My SE Ribbon what distance should it be from the amp face and again should I be working with the -20 pad on or off when recording through the Ribbon going in to my Pre on the VS-700 ?

Thanks for all help on this I really apreciate any info on al of this

I am sorry if any of this comes across as stupid questions to you guys but I am a bit of a worrior and dont want to do anything that could cause harm to any of the equipment and have no experiance in this type of thing at all so just reading through the forums trying to pick up tips and asking here in this thread for any help on what Ive said above :)

Thanks to every one for any help you can give me

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
Pro Tools 11
Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
Adam A77x
i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz

11 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Questions about reamping and takeing a Di from my amp..... 2011/02/25 19:16:00 (permalink)
    "So Question 1 - is it safe to just go from an out put of my VS-700 with a guitar lead and run it straight in to the BlackStar HT-5 ?"

Sort of, Reamp boxes are made to work as both pads and to provide *ideal* impedance. If you don't have an Reamp box the VS-700 outputs will work IF you turn down the levels really low and if you use a cheap XLR to 1/4" mono balanced to unbalanced adapter. The Reamp boxes let you send out a full level on the VS-700 so there's slightly less noise in the final track.

Lot's of people have Reamped this way... give it a try... AND WATCH THOSE OUTPUT LEVELS.

"Question 2 - The HT -5 has a cool feature that will let me use the head on its own and has a line out for recording with a 2x12 and a 4x12 amp emulation. When I take the conection from the amp to the line in on my VS-700 do I need to adjust the pre at all ? or do I just sadjust the setings to get the signal right at the amp head and also do I have the -20 pad on or off ?"

You have to consider your gain staging in it's totality for this... if you are playing the amp hot the VS-700's -20 pad is going to be real useful. I'd say start with the pad and give it a listen. Learn to use the drive and the master volume on your amp... if you dime everything... which will probably sound real good on a 5 watt amp the line level output may be REALLY hot. Just be careful and usew good judgement.

"Last Question is about the place ment of My SE Ribbon what distance should it be from the amp face and again should I be working with the -20 pad on or off when recording through the Ribbon going in to my Pre on the VS-700 ?"

I don't know enough about the SE mic but with my Royers or the AEAs I place them about 12"-18" back and I turned them a bit sideways so that the ribbon doesn't take any *wind* coming off the speakers but can sort of deflect it sideways if it happens.

Maybe you can get a friend to whack your guitar really hard while you stick your hand down in front of the speakers and try to see how much air is getting pushed forward and how far away you have to get to avoid feeling it.

You're asking thoughtful questions. If you stay that thoughtful while you work and you should be ok.

best regards,
    mike

Norrie
    Re:Questions about reamping and takeing a Di from my amp..... 2011/02/25 19:34:39 (permalink)
    Thanks Mike your a star!

I guess I just like to plan ahead and have Ideas rather than going in blind. ( That and I think abgout what I am doing far to much over cautious realy )

I have a friend comeing up tomorow so I can do just what you talked about hes going to play and I am going to play with tones and mic placement of the SE and see what I can get out of it it should be a fun day :)

So in Question 2 with the emulation I should try with the pad on and just drive the amp to find the tone and signal I am looking for and if thats not geting it use the pre to make the signal hotter or maybe try takeing the pad off and the pre down ? I would be on the right track trying that type of thing then ? Just always makeing sure the signal isnt to hot of course.

I dont have a re amp box at the momment but its on my shoping list I think a palmer but cant remember the exact one .

So for the momment you think It will be ok to try straight out the VS -700 and straight in to the guitar input of the amp but just be care full my signal isnt to hot before it hits the amp and I should be ok ?

You were saying about a Xlr to Quarter inch cable ? The VS-700 outs are just Quarter inch jack outs and the input of the amp is going to be a guitar in so would a guatar cable be ok ? Just to try reamping untill I get my hands on a reamp box. I think thats my only option at the momment untill I get a box ?

I am really looking forward to learning all this now tomorows going to be a fun day !

Thanks again

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Norrie
    Re:Questions about reamping and takeing a Di from my amp..... 2011/02/25 19:53:28 (permalink)
    One other thing I was going to mention was that I am still waiting on my Sm57 arriveing

I do though have a Beta 58 that I use for live vocals and some one mentioned a while back that if I take the capsule off the Beta 58 I have and used it for close micing like a Beta 57 for guitar cabs then it would do the same job as a Beta 57 ?

I dont know if this is true or not so not sure if its worth even trying what do you think obviously the Sm57 is the way to go but aparently a Beta 57 can be a nice mic to use aswell but not sure about useing a Beta 58 with the capsule off I dont know enough about mics and cab recording to know if its even worth trying.

Sm57 should be here with in the week so its not that big a deal but it would be nice to know if what I was told is actualy a possible option aswell....... or I was just being played for a fool (which isnt hard with me haha)

Thanks again

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Questions about reamping and takeing a Di from my amp..... 2011/02/25 20:11:56 (permalink)
    "So for the momment you think It will be ok to try straight out the VS -700 and straight in to the guitar input of the amp but just be care full my signal isnt to hot before it hits the amp and I should be ok ?"

You'll be amazed out how much you have to turn everything down... so start with every turned way down. Other than that you'll be able to work without hurting anything.

"You were saying about a Xlr to Quarter inch cable ? The VS-700 outs are just Quarter inch jack outs and the input of the amp is going to be a guitar in so would a guatar cable be ok ? Just to try reamping untill I get my hands on a reamp box. I think thats my only option at the momment untill I get a box ? "

If you have 1/4" outputs on the VS-100 I imagine they are balanced... so your best bet is to go from balanced to unbalanced. It's not really a good idea to shove a TRS into the guitar amp... it might be ok and just cause some signal loss... or it might hurt something on the VS-700... so I'd recommend some sort of balanced to unbalanced adapter or adapter cable.

best regards,
    mike

Norrie
    Re:Questions about reamping and takeing a Di from my amp..... 2011/02/26 16:52:00 (permalink)
    Hi Mike

So my SE mic never arived today so I didnt get a chance to mic the cabs

My friend came up to record a part and we used 4x12 the emulation from the head and WOW I am so impressed by the sound far better than anything I have used so far !!!!

I have found what seems to be the perfect level but not sure if I have gone about it the right way basicaly a guitar cable going from the output of the head to the line in of my VS-700
    I have the -20pad on and have the master volume on the amp almost at full and it seems to be working great so I recorded like that today and was great.

I also Tryed with the volume right down and the -20 pad off and the signal is very very hot even at the lowest of volumes comeing from the head.

With that said Is it sounding like I am on the right path with what I have done ?

In regards to the re amping we talked about I havent tryed anything yet yes the V-700 has 10 line outs on it so I was hopeing to send a line out from it straight to the amp and then mic it up I thought useing a guitar cable would work this way ? I am guessing from what you are saying that this is not a good idea for me to do and I dont want to risk damageing anything.

I will need to think of another way to re amp the couple of songs I want to do :)
    I just cant aford anymore gear right this momment and was hopeing I could have done it this way so a bit dissapointed but it will just have to wait :)

Thanks again for everything !

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Norrie
    Re:Questions about reamping and takeing a Di from my amp..... 2011/02/26 17:08:31 (permalink)
    I also ment to say the amp has a Effects loop with effects level switc....... Is there anyway to use that to Re amp ?

Sorry if this comes across as stupid I just dont know that much about this type of thing

Thanks again

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Questions about reamping and takeing a Di from my amp..... 2011/02/26 17:13:38 (permalink)
    Hi Norrie it seems like you figured out how to use the emulation mode... just use the -20dB pad and enjoy.

The adapter for the Reamp hookup should only cost about $20-$30.

You probably can get away with out the balanced to unbalanced adapter, but without seeing schematics and the actual jacks for both items, I don't want to go out on a limb and say it's ok.

I'm glad to know you like the new gear.

best regards,
    mike

Norrie
    Re:Questions about reamping and takeing a Di from my amp..... 2011/02/26 17:30:09 (permalink)
    Awesome the -20 pad and cranking the volume works a treat we playedwith the 1x10 emulation mode and was quite nice and bright the 4x12 was a very big sound and very impressive just for emulation.

Let me know when you have had a shot of the one your friend owns and what you think of it :)

Could you recomend a reamp hook up for me to buy if thats the price ?

Thanks again!

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Questions about reamping and takeing a Di from my amp..... 2011/02/26 17:45:20 (permalink)

It can be a simple as a cable you wire up with TRS on one end and TS on the other.

Or, it can be an adapter plug contraption that has a small transformer built into it... most of those are XLR to 1/4" plug format. The fact that you need 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TS makes it less likely that you'll find a small adapter product... you'll have to look around.

Does the VS-700 say that you can use balanced or unbalanced output? I assume all the outputs are meant to be 1/4" TRS balanced connections.

This is a good document to look over should you choose to wire up something your self:

Fig 2.1 is the adapter cable. It shows a XLR so when you look at it think of pin 2 being the Tip, and pin 3 as the ring. Pin1 is the sleeve and the ground.

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/an/an003.pdf

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Questions about reamping and takeing a Di from my amp..... 2011/02/26 17:50:07 (permalink)

Norrie
    Re:Questions about reamping and takeing a Di from my amp..... 2011/02/26 17:51:41 (permalink)
    I am not sure I would have to check the book or with tec support on that one.

I have been useing my Vamp in this way with a Jack to Jack going from the out put to the input on the back of the vamp and then 2 x jacks to jack back to the Vs 700 so I can record dry and audition tones then freeze them once I get what I like.

This has been working with no problem and the same for my Tc helicon working in the exact same way

I dont know about useing it with just a jack to jack going to the HT-5 would be ok though I guess tec support could tell me that one

I really hope I can do it this way its all starting to sound a bit confuseing to me haha I just want to make a good sound and record it haha

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1