Panning after recording

Author
googoopie
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2011/02/28 21:58:14 (permalink)

Panning after recording

Ok, I'm new to this so please bear with me.  I have a two channel sound card, and I'm recording with my mic in the right input.  I set my input (in sonar) to the right channel (not stereo).  During playback, I can hear sound mostly on the right.  But as I'm listening, if I pan all the way left, I can still hear sound, but it sound very light with no low end (kinda like AM radio). 

My question is this:  Is it possible to record in such a way that I'd be able to hear the same full sound no matter if I pan left or right?  And if not, then how am I supposed to mix vocals in the middle if the sound is "heavier" on one side?

5 Replies Related Threads

lackluster strumming
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 211
    Re:Panning after recording 2011/02/28 22:31:08 (permalink)
    If you play something back that wasn't recorded by you, does it do the same thing? 
    googoopie
    Re:Panning after recording 2011/02/28 22:41:12 (permalink)
    Yes...actually, it's only through the headphones I guess.  I can't seem to tell a difference with the monitors.  It drives me batty when I record though.
    googoopie
    Re:Panning after recording 2011/02/28 22:54:03 (permalink)
    Thanks for your help.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Panning after recording 2011/03/01 08:06:55 (permalink)
    Be sure you have the input set to MONO.

IN my system, Also a 2 channel interface.... When I click on the track control area (maybe double click), a box opens that allows me to set my track inputs from the available options.

1 is stereo input, 2 is right input mono, and 3 is left input mono. This is the actual channels on my interface that I am selecting from inside the DAW, telling it what channel I have audio input coming in on.

Since I am a creature of habit, I have my guitar plugged into the interface on both channel inputs... but forget about that. I have a POD2 that supposedly has stereo FX available BUT...... I simply treat it as a MONO instrument.

SO..when I choose my input for the guitar channel, I ALWAYS choose the LEFT MONO input. This send the signal to the track as MONO, and centered equally on the R/L panning.  If I need it to one side or the other I can move it from center of the sound stage.

I think your problem might be that you are selecting the stereo input option. try the MONO and see if that works. If I recall, the setting is stereo by default so when I'm in a hurry or forget to select MONO, I get TWO lines/channels in the track when I record, and the Left channel is the only one with audio.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Panning after recording 2011/03/01 12:13:00 (permalink)
    googoopie

Ok, I'm new to this so please bear with me.  I have a two channel sound card, and I'm recording with my mic in the right input.  I set my input (in sonar) to the right channel (not stereo).  During playback, I can hear sound mostly on the right.  But as I'm listening, if I pan all the way left, I can still hear sound, but it sound very light with no low end (kinda like AM radio). 

My question is this:  Is it possible to record in such a way that I'd be able to hear the same full sound no matter if I pan left or right?  And if not, then how am I supposed to mix vocals in the middle if the sound is "heavier" on one side?

One way to find out if the input side of things is set up properly is this - arm the track to record and just play/sing omething into a microphone - what does your track level meter show? A single bar moving up/down or 2 separate ones.

If it's one single bar, you know you're recording in mono.

If it's 2 separate ones, well I reckon you can work that one out for yourself.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1