Need Help With Simple VVocal Harmony Technique

Author
HumbleNoise
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
2011/03/03 16:04:21 (permalink)

Need Help With Simple VVocal Harmony Technique

I'm not a learned musician and have limited vocal skills but really enjoy experimenting and learning new techniques. I just read a thread where someone had used VVocal to create a harmony and I was wondering how?

Do I need a lot of musical theory to get it right? Or is there a very simple example that might get me started on the right track?

I can sing a simple ditty in the key of 'C' for instance - what then?

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
MAudio 2496
Yamaha MG 12/4
Roland XV-88
Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
NVidia 9800 GTX
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

12 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Need Help With Simple VVocal Harmony Technique 2011/03/03 20:52:36 (permalink)
    You simply use VV to transpose the track to different notes. You'd probably want to clone the original track to do this..... but that will create other issues. Things like phasing will crop up and also artifacts from the formants.  Not the best option.

The best way to use VV is to try to sing the harmony track as best you can and use VV to fix the notes as opposed to actually creating a harmony from the original.

If you have a problem "hearing the notes" set down at the piano and sing and play the melody, then find the harmony notes on the keyboard, then learn to sing them.... then record them..... use VV to fix the issues.

Having said that..... In the song Coming Home (on my soundclick page) I used Melodyne to move the female singer's vox to a harmony. doing this will work sometimes and others will leave noticeable artifacts of the move.  I use Melodyne.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    HumbleNoise
    Re:Need Help With Simple VVocal Harmony Technique 2011/03/03 21:01:36 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply. I was afraid I'd have to have some talent - bummer. Actually been playing around a bit and am finding just what you suggest. The biggest problem has been trying to hit the notes 'C' etc. Trying it on Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - in the key of 'C'. Might as well start at the top huh?

Really nice tune BTW and I think I can discern the harmonies you created and they sound really, really nice. Great vocals and great all around feel. I'll keep truckin. Thanks.

EDIT: I just noticed you used the words. "You simply use VV to transpose..." Whenever I see the words "you simply" I know I'm in deep trouble.
    post edited by HumbleNoise - 2011/03/03 21:04:39

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Need Help With Simple VVocal Harmony Technique 2011/03/03 21:31:59 (permalink)
    Larry.... yeah , it's never simple is it?

The cool thing about the DAW is that it is so simple (oops there's that word again) to punch in and out.... you can literally record a few words at a time.... learn the next section and record it...and so on.

On the song..... IIRC the first female vox..."I'll kiss your lips beneath the willows........" was recorded as a unison with my vocal track. I used Melodyne to move the notes into a harmony part rather than ask her to record it again. I like MD since it is very transparent when used properly.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Need Help With Simple VVocal Harmony Technique 2011/03/04 04:49:55 (permalink)
    I wouldn't even attempt to use V-Vocal to CREATE a harmony part - it's much better, quicker & easier to sing your own and get VV to correct any obviously wrong notes afterwards.

In order for a harmony to sound convincingly real, you NEED all the little timing & pitch variations that comes naturally from actually singing the parts yourself. (Better still get someone else to sing them alongside you main vocal, if that's an option)

If you go the V-Vocal route, you'd end up having to shift each note, not just in terms of pitch but also in time in order to introduce small timing variations, and you'll also have to play with the formant control to try and make the harmonies sound "right".

By that time you could have sung them yourself.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Need Help With Simple VVocal Harmony Technique 2011/03/04 11:50:19 (permalink)
    Best to pick out the harmonies on a keyboard first, so you know what your targets are. I wouldn't attempt to use V-V for harmonies more than a third apart (4 semitones), and even that's pushing the envelope for what V-V can do transparently.

That said, I have actually used V-V to synthesize a part that was a whole octave higher - mind you, it sounded like crap in solo but managed to work anyway when blended into the mix and equalized. It worked because it was one element in a 6-part harmony, the other 5 of which I sang.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Need Help With Simple VVocal Harmony Technique 2011/03/04 14:16:31 (permalink)
    Too low pitched to sing it Bit?

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Need Help With Simple VVocal Harmony Technique 2011/03/05 01:59:35 (permalink)
    IMO:

Fortunately
    :

1) Crap vocs probably only exist with sick throats or mental damage.  You and I, average Joes, are certainly able to be top-shelf singers with the tools we have.

2) ... once you/I faithfully enhance those sub-conscious vibes, apply basic vocal coaching, emulations of fav artists, production materials and techniques, etc..  (Of course, every voc has serious limitations in numerous genres and do excel in specific genre(s) (like Opera vs Rap, Country vs. Metal, Gospel vs. Gothic, etc.)

3) With sweet backing vocs I've created in the studio, I'd be scared to death to ruin my kids vocs (and my own) with 'formal teaching'.

4) 90% of Mark Baxter's paradigms of "The Rock and Roll Singer's Survival Guide" ... are actually detrimental to me now.  Just give me a sane vox from the highways or biways ... (mine or anyone elses) ... and I'll make it fresh and beautiful ... for the song at hand.

5) Interestingly, both art and music require no formal training to become top-shelf in chosen genres ... just passion, vibe, love, etc.

6) Its too easy to find grooves and producer-loops to enable songs and backing vocs to sprout.

Unfortunately
    :

1) It takes inordinant time (hours/days/weeks ...), to create a painterly vox on today's colored canvases. 

2) ... with the scale-theories, tools and/or techniques,  Even a 'virtuoso' vox or 'emotive' vox requires a lot of vibe(s), takes, layers, motivation, backing vocs, inspiration, harmony, etc. and in proportionate measures ... IMHO. 

3) And if the moon is full, things may go amiss for the producer, who is the real vox artist and singer --IMHO.  (Ah, goto luv those producer's chops!) 

4) My 8 y/o girl can't sing worth a lick (at home, church, etc. she sings like a clogged vacuum cleaner, or like a vacuum (no voice at all).  Yet, with a little coaching and yelling ... her vibe 'elevates', the dribble spews forth into the signal chain.  After much spliceing and production she sounds better than 10 thousand Shirley Temples.  Of course the vox samples are 'fixed' angelicly.

5) The 12 y/o boy is worse; he sings like he's a chesty bull.  After yelling at him (like a Marine Sargent) to sing/repeat a few 100 times 3 or 4 words in the head register, that adolescent chest-bull-crap wears off... This producer suddenly births an angel ... etc.

Consider:

TBH, I've never encountered a vox that I (the producer) couldn't create into magic, though I crave the blessings from God on each.

Without Melodyne, I'd give up producing vocs.

There are a lot of tricks to do multi-scale, multi-octave harmonies (also applying the formant/pitch ratio ... roughly 1/3 or 1/4 ... in Melodyne or Melodyne Editor.  Google the Melodyne videos and the Cher magic unfolds.

Screw'd vocs on the low end are an octave down (12 semitones) with about 4 formant equivalents (4 semitones) down.

An octave high (Alto Soprano) must be girly-adjusted with the formant (by ear)

That isn't enough.  To avoid phase issues, despite chorus redemptions with the formant, you/I really want to split each screw'd voc to another track and pan them widely ... the best voc being centered.

You/I might delay extreme pans by at least 32msecs (Haased) ... to solve all phase issues, period.  But if you/I forget, the phase issues may go undetected.

I myself have much better luck at 90-100% LT & RT, Haased, than to place the backing vocs nearer the center (reverbed).

Plate Reverb should be avoided when using Haas on backing vocs.  The 32 msec wide-panned delay is plenty of natural verb, for today's lush pop paradigms, methinks.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:Need Help With Simple VVocal Harmony Technique 2011/03/05 11:25:22 (permalink)
    Aside from the technical issues you need to decide on the type of harmonies you want. The most obvious harmonies are usually a parallel third above the melody. Over the last fifteen years or so it's been popular to invert this interval and put the harmony an octave down which provides a more open interval (sixth). This works well with two parts. A parallel fifth works well on some songs but can sound somewhat foreign. Another two part harmony is to use an oblique, which involves a nearly monotone part for the harmony. This won't work with all melody structures but can be effective. It sometimes works in a three part harmony and can create nice suspensions, etc if you plan them carefully (on a piano) first. If you're going for a third part, the structure can be more confining since the second part can no longer bounce casually between a third and a fifth at will without making the third part a bit more obscure to sing. If the song calls for it, suspensions and extensions work nicely as passing tones (Beach Boys, Beatles, etc.). Sometimes the obvious thing isn't the best (listen to the last vocal chord on She Loves You, it's a major 6). The last common form of harmony motion is contrary motion where parts move in opposite directions. This can get a bit Barber-Shoppy if you're not careful.

These are the basics, and unless you’re heading toward modal counterpoint they should suffice for most forms of popular music. Have fun with it. I always enjoyed coming up with harmony parts more than singing lead. One last thought, consider using answering-parts (often used in R&B vocals) and don't underestimate doubling/tripling unison answering-parts with a slightly breathy tone. Very effective in the right song.

post edited by feedback50 - 2011/03/05 11:30:12
    HumbleNoise
    Re:Need Help With Simple VVocal Harmony Technique 2011/03/06 09:57:49 (permalink)
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their input.

I'm very new to harmony and harmony theory but my wife (who can hit a note) and I played with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star last night and did the work of singing the melody (to a background piano track) then finding the notes we liked in a harmony, then singing that (to that new piano background track.) It was very basic but very enlightening and with a little VVocal as was suggested AFTER the two parts were sung it sounded OK.

Obviously lots of learning needed but the basic ground work seems to be in place. Thanks again for the help.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    djjhart@aol.com
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2189
    Re:Need Help With Simple VVocal Harmony Technique 2011/03/06 10:14:37 (permalink)
    it's much better, quicker & easier to sing your own and get VV to correct any obviously wrong notes afterwards.

+1

Computer - Intel Q9550, Intel BX48bt2 MB, W8 64 bit. 8 gb Ram, SSD  
    Hardware - Tascam Fw1884 Control surface only, Ni S49 Komplete Kontroll,Roland Quad Capture, Ni Machine,Kore, Focusrite A/D converter, Blue Mic, Roland Gaia, Akai Mpk49, Yamaha HS80 Monitors.
    Software - Sonar Platinum , Vengeance VPS bundle,Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Turnado, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Dune, Rob Papen  Blade , Delay, Punch Evolved.
     http://soundcloud.com/johnhartson/tracks  
     http://www.youtube.com/user/jhart1313 

feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:Need Help With Simple VVocal Harmony Technique 2011/03/06 11:43:16 (permalink)
    Larry, I think you're wise to start with something simple like you're doing. I started by singing the high parts on Sam and Dave tunes (back when they were current, sadly). I used to work with a guitar player (correction... that should be guitar owner) that could only sing lead. We were able to get him to sing harmony by teaching him a song that he wasn't familiar with, and teach him the harmony as if it were the melody. It worked great for several weeks until he actually heard the original recording, then all bets were off.
    HumbleNoise
    Re:Need Help With Simple VVocal Harmony Technique 2011/03/06 12:22:45 (permalink)
    I am not a trained musician and am continually shocked at how much effort and preparation goes into creating music. I know that sounds strange if indeed you are a trained musician, but I always thought it was a bit of magic (which I guess it all is in a way) that got it done. Never realized it can be, and often is, an organized, systematic methodology. Again probably no surprise to those musicians but quite a revelation to me.

Really appreciate all the help. Now on to Jingle Bells - or perhaps Mary Had A Little Lamb - in G minor - lol

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1