Recording a video while doing stuff in Sonar??

Author
wayofmind
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 101
2011/03/06 14:13:13 (permalink)

Recording a video while doing stuff in Sonar??

Hey guys, this question is a bit different.

I've been wanting to record a video while in Sonar and, of course, include the sound in Sonar's playback. For the life of me, I can't get this to work. My interface is a Presonus Firestudio Project.

Yes, the "share drivers" option is checked in Sonar. Other stuff like opening Reason up simultaneously (not in ReWire) works fine.

I've tried CamStudio and Camtasia to no avail. I've tried flipping to different driver modes in Sonar. Nothing. The video software can't hear it.

Would anyone have any insight on this?

www.richieblac.com 
Sonar X3e Producer x64
Nuendo 4 
AMD FX 8350
16gb RAM 1600mhz
Windows 8.1
PreSonus Firestudio

1 Reply Related Threads

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Recording a video while doing stuff in Sonar?? 2011/03/07 15:50:59 (permalink)
    way, I can tell you how I do it if it helps you any....and this is on a system that is probably nowhere near as powerful as yours.

I run a Logitech cam and use the software for the cam as well as the built-in mic. I also run Sonar at the same time. All of this is done with a Realtek HD soundcard using ASIO4ALL drivers, so your Presonus should be fine.

I press the video "record" button on the cam software, then switch over to Sonar. The track is armed already and I press record. After I'm done recording into Sonar. I press stop and go to the cam software and press stop as well. The sound for the video is now in Sonar. If there is something I say or talk during the video, all this is picked up on the cam mic and it works perfectly.

From there, I take the video either into Sonar or for serious stuff, Vegas (no offense to Sonar, I just have way more control with Vegas) and sync things up by turning down the Sonar audio really low, turn up the cam audio as loud as I can get it. I have my cam set to kill room noise so the stuff playing on the cam audio track is kinda muffled but you can hear it and it's easy to sync up the cam audio to the audio I recorded in Sonar.

From there, I slip edit out all the cam stuff unless there is talking and I export it out. The original cam audio was just there for me to sync it up to my Sonar tracks. You may want to totally remove that if you don't need it. That should work for you but you may have issues if you are using one soundcard to run everything.

For example, though I am running my Realtek via ASIO4ALL, the cam audio capture is being done with the Logitech cam mic...which is like it's own thing. I don't know that I'd be able to use the Realtek mic in and the Realtek line in both at the same time and then record in Sonar too. You'll have to experiment.

On my good recording pc, I use other soundcards and also have my Realtek enabled on that in the event I just need to send some signal so that I don't get that "driver in use" error when everything is dependent on one card. Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have any problems or questions and I'll try my best to give you a hand.

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1