Moonlight Lace rev5 - from John JD1813

Author
JD1813
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 813
2011/03/06 20:13:23 (permalink)

Moonlight Lace rev5 - from John JD1813

I've done several rounds of revisions on this instrumental piano piece and am offering it here for you to check out.
- I re-recorded the piano track from scratch, same with the 12-string guitar track
- purchased a set of sea-sound waves which to me sounded much more realistic for what I wanted
- removed portions of the drums, brought in where I wanted and enhanced parts, subdued other parts
- created a horn part where I felt it was needed
All comments welcome.  Enjoy.   

[original post:]
Here's a simple instrumental piece that I just finished; it's my first project since taking time off to purchase a new DAW notebook and switch up to Win 7 64-bit.   I'm using MC5 on this one, with a new Steinway Grand Piano synth, EZDrummer, and Dim-Pro Strings and 12-string guitar synths.  It should be on the top of the list on my SoundClick page, thanks for checking it out!  
post edited by JD1813 - 2011/04/25 20:40:39

-John  *Acer Notebook Win7 Pro-x64 /Edirol USB UA-4FX/SP B1 Mic/Sonar PE X2a; Alesis QS-7 & Ovation 12-String.  Site: www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1007877

Technology drives me to drink. Fortunately, it's a short drive..

22 Replies Related Threads

Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:Moonlight Lace - from John JD1813 2011/03/06 20:53:24 (permalink)
    Hi John,

Nice tune.   Couple of thoughts.  I might have liked the drums up just a tad, and the ocean sound just a tad lower.   Is there a lot of limiting on this track?   The top stuff especially seemed pretty loud.

All that said, it's a really nice song, I like the overall vibe and playing.

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

JD1813
    Re:Moonlight Lace - from John JD1813 2011/03/06 21:41:35 (permalink)
    Mathew,  thanks for the listen and the suggestions!  Well on the drums, I was more worried they were too strong especially in places.  I purposely tried to keep them behind the piano and guitar, since it is meant to be a quiet easy-listen song.  But yes I do agree that the ocean sounds track seems too high in the mix.  Limiting?  no, I don't have any; I mixed it down and then normalized the whole MP3 per my usual routine, but have no gate/limiter/compression in it per se.  I'll listen to it again as far as mix, and bring it down, many thanks again! 

-John  *Acer Notebook Win7 Pro-x64 /Edirol USB UA-4FX/SP B1 Mic/Sonar PE X2a; Alesis QS-7 & Ovation 12-String.  Site: www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1007877

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Moonlight Lace - from John JD1813 2011/03/06 23:05:37 (permalink)
    Hey John, good to see you.
    You have a generally nice vibe going on this.
    I'd very much like to her an un-normalized version.
    Normalize can tend to behave much like a limiter, and I think this is what Mathew is hearing.
    There is a hardness to the final sound that is not entirely complimentary the soft vibe you seem to be trying to convey.
    The ocean is a nice touch, but should be more ambient, I think.
    And more gradual. Listen to the ocean. It's a nearly steady roar, with more subtle variations. Those little foaming waves tend to diminish rather slowly.
    if you soften this up a bit, i think it will be more in keeping with the mood of the song.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    twisted6s
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2001
    Re:Moonlight Lace - from John JD1813 2011/03/07 07:03:53 (permalink)
    Kroneborge

Hi John,

Nice tune.   Couple of thoughts.  I might have liked the drums up just a tad, and the ocean sound just a tad lower.   Is there a lot of limiting on this track?   The top stuff especially seemed pretty loud.

All that said, it's a really nice song, I like the overall vibe and playing.

My thoughts exactly, still a lovely piece

Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 ghz processor, 8 gig ram, 2.5Tb drives, Sonar Platinum, Lynx L22, FMR Audio RNP & RNC, Mackie HR824, Neumann tlm 103, Window 10 64
    https://soundcloud.com/twisted6s/sets/tony-pruden

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Moonlight Lace - from John JD1813 2011/03/07 08:31:06 (permalink)
    John, I like the song.

I agree on the ocean. It comes and goes... so I'd leave it out totally, even in the beginning.

I know you want to set the image stage with the sound effect, but let the music do that. A successful song will have people commenting that they could envision walking on a beach, even without the sound effect.

I can't listen loud cause my daughter is asleep in the other room but I'll come back later..... maybe you can have V2 up by then. ( no ocean sounds)

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    vechung
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:Moonlight Lace - from John JD1813 2011/03/07 09:42:03 (permalink)
    Nice tune,  agree with comments about the ocean.  I can barely hear the drums.  You could take them out completely.  If want the drums in, I would do a slower beat: have the bass drum on beat1 and beat2.5 and the snare/rim on beat3

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    JD1813
    Re:Moonlight Lace - from John JD1813 2011/03/07 10:42:05 (permalink)
    RobertB

Hey John, good to see you.
    You have a generally nice vibe going on this.
    I'd very much like to her an un-normalized version.
    Normalize can tend to behave much like a limiter, and I think this is what Mathew is hearing.
    There is a hardness to the final sound that is not entirely complimentary the soft vibe you seem to be trying to convey.
    The ocean is a nice touch, but should be more ambient, I think.
    And more gradual. Listen to the ocean. It's a nearly steady roar, with more subtle variations. Those little foaming waves tend to diminish rather slowly.
    if you soften this up a bit, i think it will be more in keeping with the mood of the song.

Herb, Vicente, Tony - thank you all very kindly for taking the time and for your comments.  I have no doubt I'll have a ver 2 of this very soon, possibly as early as tonight since it's one of the few days this week I have any free time left.   By the way, can someone tell me how you modify the Title/subject of a post on here, I always want to go in and change the title to "ver 2 of - Title..."  but drives me crazy finding how to do it?

RobertB, I'll address your comments separately because I honestly dont' have the gray matter to know some of what you're suggesting.  I definitely see the points you've all made and I fully agree - how to implement most of the changes is my current confusion.

Firsst, I have not had any success using gate/limiter/compression, when I have tried I seem to get odd and unnatural results, so I currently just leave it out.  It has only been very recently that I have begun to use normalize on most of my Audio tracks once bounced from the Synths - I do this because without it, I can't even see much of a waveform at all, and I often wind up cranking up gains much higher than what I want.  So this is a first-stage normalize which is at the Track level.  To not do this, was adding to the muddy/muffled sounds that Ii used to get.  Since I've started this (and Herb you once mentioned that you do this too), I have heard better, clearer audio tracks.  Am I bringing the waveform up TOO much?  I dunno.

Next when I do a final mixdown of the completed song (export all audio) and wind up with a 16-bit .wav and then I use 256K MP3 setting, I bring it up into a utility I have, and look at the waveform in a window.  I manually amplify it until it's esentially normalized, that is, I know where it needs to be in order for the website's Audio Player to be at about 60% volume, and with about the same on my Windows Media Player.  So that's what I refer to as a "final normalize" setting.   Are you saying I should not do this step or either normalize steps?

Regarding the drums:  I'm confused because not all comments were consistent; for my liking, drums in this song need to be subdued and not pronounced.  I even used a single EZDrummer brush beat as a scratch track intially, and it was just - there.  A slow steady beat was all I wanted, and it wasn't until nearly final review that I went in and varied beats, added fills, and fiddled with slight adjustment of gain on some phrases once it was bounced to audio. 

Ocean sounds:  listened again a few times late last night after Mathew's comments and I agree, and I wasn't able to express it as well as you Robert but you're right - as well as Herb's comment.  It's too much, it's too mechanical, and it's not needed in the song itself.  So I'll be seeing what I can do on that tonight for sure.  More ambient, and gradual - is what I am after.  Anyone know where to download any really good, varied and realistic ocean sounds?  What I'm using are only 2-3 clips of public domain .wav files.  And they are repetitive.

There is an observation of my own that I'm adding, and I think you've heard this too, Robert - you described it as a "hardness to the final sound" - I used quantize (I do not always do this, but lately I've tried to).   I took my drums, piano, strings, and 12-string guitar synths and quantized all to eighth note beat.   For me, it's become an important thing to help me, since I tend to miss beats here and there or they get out of sync when I key in the notes live from my piano. 

But, it's given a very mechanical feel to the song, and there are at a minimum, two places near the end that I'm planning on going back to the MIDI and varying certain note durations and timing so that it breaks out of that choppy mechanical feel.  Overall, I realize this is a certain skill, of quantizing yet adjusting afterwards to vary that precise mechanical rhythm.  Can anyone steer me to some tips or tricks that give best results?  There are a lot of areas here that I am still struggling with for sure.  While I'm relatively happy to have brought the song to life, I'd love to give it more feeling.  When I wrote this song back in 2004, it was just a piano solo and when I play it, it's not to any beat.  I think it's the hardest thing in the world to take a piano solo and force it into a metronome beat, and try to build orchestrations around it.  But, I see it as the only practical way. 

I deeply appreciate all of your comments and the time you each took to listen!  Thank you!!   

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Moonlight Lace - from John JD1813 2011/03/07 10:57:50 (permalink)
    cool stuff, John!  I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said (I'll say for emphasis, tho, that I personally don't care for the ocean sounds on this).  really nice laid back tune!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    equality
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 716
    Re:Moonlight Lace - from John JD1813 2011/03/07 17:32:03 (permalink)
    Great to see you here again John! Very nice composition as always, soulful and emotional. Perhaps it needs a middle eight part where the piano rests? Perhaps a guitar solo? The mix needs some work as mentioned above. I don't want to sit on high horses but if you'd like to, I could give it a try?  
    JD1813
    Re:Moonlight Lace - from John JD1813 2011/03/07 20:02:22 (permalink)
    equality

Great to see you here again John! Very nice composition as always, soulful and emotional. Perhaps it needs a middle eight part where the piano rests? Perhaps a guitar solo? The mix needs some work as mentioned above. I don't want to sit on high horses but if you'd like to, I could give it a try?  

Mikael:  thank you, and you may be right about a guitar solo.  I think I wanted to do this, but couldn't find the right spot for it.  I have sent you a PM on this, thanks!

Beagle - thanks for giving a listen!  yep, the ocean sounds are going to go or perhaps all except a lead-in and way down at that.  I'll be seeing what I can do with it.  Thanks!   

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Moonlight Lace - from John JD1813 2011/03/07 20:24:08 (permalink)
    OK... I'm listening again, this time on the buds.... John, If I was you, and I had written this song, here's what I'd do

I'd delete it. ( don't freak on me...hear me out)

And start a new version... leave out the ocean and leave out the drums.... at least the "perky beat" I would slow this down considerably and give it more emotion.... more feeling in the song. Add the word "and" to the title.

Make us see and feel the lace in the moonlight in the music.... smell the perfume in the air.... the idea and melody is good, but to me the song is too fast and to upbeat.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Moonlight Lace - from John JD1813 2011/03/07 21:46:11 (permalink)
    Beautiful song, John. :)  I love the tune and the strings are a nice touch too.  I don't mind the ocean sounds so much, but they could be more subtle. 

I hear what you mean about the mechanical feel, but it doesn't have anything to do with quantizing it.  It's because all the piano notes are played with exactly the same velocity.  If you entered them by my mouse, of course it will sound that way.  If you played it, then I'm not sure why it's sounding that way, unless your keyboard isn't touch-sensitive. 

I see where Herb is coming from about making this slower.  But it could certainly work at this speed too.  The main problem I hear is the piano.  Unfortunately, I can't even imagine fixing this in prv,  (cause all I ever do in that regard is lower the velocities of the whole track).  But I imagine it can be done. 

It's certainly a beautiful tune. :)
    JD1813
    Re:Moonlight Lace - from John JD1813 2011/03/08 12:06:10 (permalink)
    Janet

Beautiful song, John. :)  I love the tune and the strings are a nice touch too.  I don't mind the ocean sounds so much, but they could be more subtle. 

I hear what you mean about the mechanical feel, but it doesn't have anything to do with quantizing it.  It's because all the piano notes are played with exactly the same velocity.  If you entered them by my mouse, of course it will sound that way.  If you played it, then I'm not sure why it's sounding that way, unless your keyboard isn't touch-sensitive. 

I see where Herb is coming from about making this slower.  But it could certainly work at this speed too.  The main problem I hear is the piano.  Unfortunately, I can't even imagine fixing this in prv,  (cause all I ever do in that regard is lower the velocities of the whole track).  But I imagine it can be done. 

It's certainly a beautiful tune. :)

Janet:  thanks for the kind words.  I am overwhelmed by the range of suggestions on this piece, everything from remove the drums/bring UP the drums, to delete the whole project?   And two of you offered to help redo it!    So instead of jumping into more edits last night right away, I sat awhile and gave it thought, listened and studied it a bit more.  By "gave it thought", I mean I reflected about the events that made me compose this in the first place.  And that was pure piano, it wasn't anything else at that time.

I value your comments about that, primarily, thank you.  It was all done via my piano keyboard, played live.  So unless I had accidently unchecked the "touch sensitive" setting on record, I am stumped.  Trust me, I do not play WELL enough to be that precise on velocity!  haha!  

OK, so I have only one initial goal right now and that is to re-record the piano part again; this time I'm going to slow the tempo just a bit and re-record the piano.  I am going to address this critical part first, since the whole song to me, is the piano anyway.  I am going to try to find/download a more smooth, more realistic ocean/wave sound and use it ONLY as a lead-in but for a couple seconds longer time and slowly bring it up in volume until the beat kicks in.... then no more waves in the song. 

When I hear that result with new piano, drums adjusted a bit, and no ocean sound, I'll see if I feel it needs to be deleted or, can continue to address some other comments.   Actually I still like it in spite of all the nits.   I believe I can make adjustments fairly easily because there are no vocals or live guitar, it's all MIDI therefore I can change a lot with minimal effort - tempo, pitch, etc.  But I fully agree that the piano needs the feeling put back in to it.  It must have been that the steadines of the beat made me play so mechanically.  Not at all to my liking.  Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on this with me, Janet!! 

paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:Moonlight Lace - from John JD1813 2011/03/08 14:59:45 (permalink)
    Ok, seems I'm late to the party here and you've pretty much got a plan in place, so rather than add to all that, I'll just say that I can see where all the other comments were coming from. It reminded me of a Janet tune (none in particular - just that airiness about it). I'll come back and listen when you've made your changes.
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Moonlight Lace - from John JD1813 2011/03/08 15:24:14 (permalink)
    very good tune John. mix isn't too bad at all! yes you could easily slow this down, but i also like it the tempo it is. maybe needs a middle 8 to add some dynamic interest.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    JD1813
    Re:Moonlight Lace rev5 - from John JD1813 2011/04/25 20:27:20 (permalink)
    I've done several rounds of revisions on this instrumental piano piece and am offering it here for you to check out. All comments welcome. Enjoy.    

Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Moonlight Lace rev5 - from John JD1813 2011/04/26 06:23:28 (permalink)
    I concur. Nice song!

String Jammer
    Janet
    Re:Moonlight Lace rev5 - from John JD1813 2011/04/26 20:55:23 (permalink)
    Good for you for going back to this one, John.  It's such a nice song.  I love the simple melody and arrangement. The new ocean sounds are quite nice....makes me miss the beach.  The strings are lovely.

Listen very very carefully to the piano and you'll see where it needs more pedal here and there.  Maybe that's what I was hearing before but couldn't figure it out.  Also, in a few places, like 2:34, the left hand is quite noticably pausing before coming to the next note.  That should be an easy fix in PRV.  Just make sure all the notes are pretty much right at the beginning of the beat.  I know it's tedious, but there aren't that many to fix to take this to the next level. 

On the pedal, you want the pedal off to be RIGHT before the pedal on, at least in most places.  I do all that in the staff view (when I have to edit them.) 

This is quite a beautiful piece, John.  I love the counter-melodies and harmonies and everything.  :) 
    JD1813
    Re:Moonlight Lace rev5 - from John JD1813 2011/04/27 09:02:21 (permalink)
    Thanks for listening again, Janet!   There are still a couple notes here and there that bother me and I'll go back in on it soon.  But your comments about pedal thoroughly confuse me!   Listen for where it needs more pedal??  I don't HAVE a pedal on my synth, let alone know how to USE one!  hahaha     Are you saying that PRV can add a pedal sound where there is none?  If so, I would not even know where to add it. 
    Curious about the left hand comment tho too, I'll listen close for that and see if I can adjust it.  This kind of detailed comment is really helpful, thanks so much!   I'm nearing the point I want to leave this one alone and get several others finished, I'm excited about a new piece I'm working on that's quite different from anything I've done before - pretty much a solid rock song with killer bass.  Coming soon! 

Janet
    Re:Moonlight Lace rev5 - from John JD1813 2011/04/27 09:13:11 (permalink)
    Your synth doesn't have a pedal?  :( Oh my.  Is there a place to plug one in?  You can buy one for under $20.  In the meantime, yes, you can add it in staff view.  Just click the little pedal icon, (looks like a really fancy P) then add the pedal underneath the bass clef.  (pedal on & off will automatically appear...you'll have to drag the pedal off where you want it.)  Basically, you want a new pedal 'event' every time there's a new chord. (usually the beginning of a measure, but even in the middle of a measure if the chords are changing quickly.)  If you don't have ANY pedal it will sound choppy.  If you have a pedal throughout the song, it will sound terribly muddy.  You wanna go for the in-between, obviously.  :)

(yes, you can do this in prv too...you'll have to choose the pedal CC, and I don't know which one that is.  Ask Robby...looks like he's figured it out.  But I think it's easier to do in the staff view anyway.) 

Sorry, I know it will be labor-intensive to get it to sound right...but if I have to spend frustrating hours trying to un-midify my orchestras, then I suppose it's not too much to ask to add a pedal to keys.  :) 
    JD1813
    Re:Moonlight Lace rev5 - from John JD1813 2011/04/27 09:36:17 (permalink)
    Janet thanks for the detail - I do recall that the synth came with a pedal and it obviously has a jack to plug it in..... the pedal is probably stuffed away in a closet somewhere.   Never knowing how to use it, it's kinda like a clutch on a car when all I can drive is automatic.      know what ah MEAN, Verne??    *lol*
    That being said, I have serious doubts about my ability to add a "pedal event" to "some chords and not all?"  but will be glad to give it a try. Sounds like I'm missing out on a whole world of tedium there, and can't believe I want to move in that direction....!   but OK, we'll see...!   Thanks again!   

Janet
    Re:Moonlight Lace rev5 - from John JD1813 2011/04/27 09:39:58 (permalink)
    Whole world of tedium.  That's pretty much my life at my DAW.  :(  Well, except the composing part.  :)  And well, just like guitar players would fuss at me if I tried to a guitar on the keyboard (yes, I tried for a couple seconds), you may have to put up with a pianist telling you how to add more realism.  :)  If you're going to play the piano (and you should...you're good!) you've GOT to learn to play with the pedal.  Go dig that thing out of that closet.  It can't be much harder than a clutch. And a lot less dangerous if you screw it up.  :) 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1