Randy Said

Author
jsykes
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 631
2011/03/10 14:39:58 (permalink)

Randy Said

Here is another track I am working on. Would enjoy your feedback about the mix, panning, etc.

http://soundcloud.com/jeffrey-sykes/randy-said

Sonar Homestudio XL
Dell laptop
Echo Layla
Takamine EAN-15C
Ibanez Artcore
Electoharmonix, Digitech, Tubescreamer, AdrennaLinn
Advice from forum members

6 Replies Related Threads

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Randy Said 2011/03/11 13:20:04 (permalink)
    Well, thought I'd check the forum before I started shipping orders.  I have time for one and this is it.  Buddy, some of it has REALLY nice stuff goin' on.  In the beginning, though, there were dissonant parts that didn't help the tune, imho.  The parts where the bass and guitars matched sounded nice.  The dissonant parts didn't work for me.  It sounds like the mix is close but still a little short of really good.  Here's my thought, humbly presented.  I think the bass should be in the middle and the guitar track should be on both sides.  The drums could come up a little.  Now, I am not really a mix guy but I THINK that's what I'm hearing.  I like the song, Jeffrey.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    jsykes
    Re:Randy Said 2011/03/11 13:44:02 (permalink)
    Thanks for the listen Warren. I have had more trouble with this arrangement than any other song I've ever done. The guitar parts are triads played high on the neck. The last chord is (bass to high) open D (4th string)-C#-F#.

I played an F# on bass and the dissonance is tough to overcome.

I will try to tab out the chords and see if anyone can help me solve the sonic problem.

Thanks for the comments on the song. I've been working on this one for a year or so off and on.

Sonar Homestudio XL
    Dell laptop
    Echo Layla
    Takamine EAN-15C
    Ibanez Artcore
    evadianepug
    Re:Randy Said 2011/03/11 14:51:01 (permalink)
    Dissonance is two notes or chords not working together, in my mind.  Sometimes intentional, sometimes not.  The chords sound fine, but I think it's the bass.  If you want to send an mp3 with just the drums and guitar I would be happy to see where or what is happening.  I am a person who likes "out of the box" things.  Remeber, we're the Pugtones and we live outside the box.  If you send that to warren@acsource.com I'll see if I have any suggestions for you.  Oh, it might be good to have the vocal so I don't miss anything there.  This is just an offer and I will not feel bad if you don't want to.   I could do a bass line for a few measures where I think the problem is. 

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    SonarX3
    jsykes
    Re:Randy Said 2011/03/11 15:00:19 (permalink)
    Thanks, Warren. I will try that in the next few days. I'm not a bassist, just try to get by on the root and a few notes here and there.

I didn't explain well in my last response, but my point was the bass note conflicting with the chord. I can't figure out what to play there. Neither C# or F# sounds good.
    post edited by jsykes - 2011/03/11 15:02:11

Sonar Homestudio XL
    Dell laptop
    Echo Layla
    Takamine EAN-15C
    Ibanez Artcore
    evadianepug
    Re:Randy Said 2011/03/11 17:02:19 (permalink)
    send it if you want , remember , without the bass track. :-)

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    SonarX3
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Randy Said 2011/03/12 21:42:34 (permalink)
    I like your chord progression and melody very much.  I would like to hear the lead vocal louder in the mix.  The acoustic guitar dominates the mix, hiding other elements such as the bass and percussion and lyrics.  The ending really appeals to me.  You're maybe one mix away from excellence.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1