Live audio - with video - DVD DONE!

Author
skullsession
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1765
2011/03/14 13:13:43 (permalink)

Live audio - with video - DVD DONE!

It was probably a year ago that I recorded this live show for a band here in Houston called "ROWE".  Well, they've finally got the DVD edited and they're releasing it locally.

They've got one of the songs on their YouTube page...wanted to share it.  This one is called  "Fall In Line".

http://www.youtube.com/user/RoweBandMusic#p/u/3/XFX3DtxIMcA

They hired a video crew out of Austin to come film it in HD.  3 cameras total.  And they hired me to come in to record the audio...which I did.  I captured the whole show without any glitches and without any stopping to save.  Once it was mixed, I gave it over to the film crew which was editing to the sound they captured with the camera mics.  It's really cool to see it all married together....and even cooler to see it on my big screen at home.

I don't do many live recording gigs any more.  To do it right, so many things have to be done....and most bands just can't afford to get it done right.  These guys are an exception...they're not afraid to spend money to get what they're after.

They built a plexi cage for the drums to keep the bleed to a minimum, and the drummer went with in-ear monitors.  We used splitters so that the front of house guy could use my mics for the guitars, bass, and all the drums.  We also used splits so that I could get vocals from the mics on stage.

Enjoy!

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.

5 Replies Related Threads

Jamz0r
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1725
    Re:Live audio - with video - DVD DONE! 2011/03/14 13:45:15 (permalink)
    I was confused at first and listened to "Witches" that came up on that link, but finally found Fall In Line in the margin...

This is excellent!  Everything sounds great!  Vocals are cool, drums sound killer.
    Awesome job recording this, James!

BTW, those guys rock!
    skullsession
    Re:Live audio - with video - DVD DONE! 2011/03/14 13:47:24 (permalink)
    Yeh....be careful.  Make sure you listen to Fall In Line.  MOST of the stuff on there wasn't recorded the way Fall In Line was.

When I click that link, Fall In Line automatically loads....hopefully that's the same for you.

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    skullsession
    Re:Live audio - with video - DVD DONE! 2011/03/14 13:50:57 (permalink)
    Just noticed that there's another one there from the DVD.

Hallowed Ground

http://www.youtube.com/user/RoweBandMusic#p/u/4/K7-IYEv1dzk

digi2ns
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2694
    Re:Live audio - with video - DVD DONE! 2011/04/10 23:58:43 (permalink)
    Well done!!!
    Im a huge fan of the PlexiHuts around the drum kits as well for live show recordings. I think your mind gets a much better pictures hearing them through the PA and a lot less mic bleed from everyone when recording  

Nice

MIKE

--Dell Studio XPS I7/870 2.93 Ghz, 8GB Mem, 2-2TB Barracuda HDs, 500 GB Ext.HDD, Win7/64
    --X1 64 Pro Expanded, Dual 21" Monitors 
    --PCR500  
    --MAUDIO FastTrack Ultra
    --Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO
    --Line6 X3 Live
    --Gibson, Fender, Takamine, Schecter, Washburn
    http://pogopoppa.wix.com/5thgear#
     http://soundcloud.com/digi2ns  

batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Live audio - with video - DVD DONE! 2011/04/11 17:45:11 (permalink)
    great sound capture there!
    a perfect blend of the house and the actual gear sounds.
    nice job!

the vid is just eye candy for the capture.....
    do they just line stuff up by 'eye', or is there some kind of smpt signal to go along with?

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1