nailing "the groove" of the song!!

Author
whack
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1188
2011/03/17 06:13:45 (permalink)

nailing "the groove" of the song!!

Heh everybody,

Would love to know how people record the groove of a song?! Im not really talkin about a full live band since when all recorded playing together there is a natural groove,but when you are layering tracks, what do you start with, drums? then bass? If so how do you get the drummer to get in the groove when there is nothing else to listen to it? How do you give the track a bit of rythmical tension if your using MIDI?

Would love to know how people go about this.

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning

26 Replies Related Threads

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/17 06:43:05 (permalink)
    I'll give you my take for what it's worth. One thing I don't like is a stagnant click track. You know, that wood block sound or a cowbell. I just can't groove to that. So the first thing I do is create a basic beat using a midi of kick, snare and hats...or I'll substitute the hats for a ride bell. This really helps me because it's more realistic sounding than the normal click. I CAN play to a click, but I just don't like it at all...and I have to make it so loud, it's just an annoying process I can do without.

Once my midi drum sequence is set up, I then record a guitar track. After that, I record bass. When they are all done, I check to see that the tracks are tight and have the groove going on. If they do, I'll go back and play real drums or a V Drums kit. I'll pan the midi click track to the left so that it doesn't confuse me with the real kit I'm playing.

From there, I'll make sure the drums I just played are tight with the midi kit. Then, I'll listen to the guitar and bass and make sure they are tight with the real drums I just played. If I was a little loose with the bass or guitars now that the real drums are in, I'll either recut them totally or just punch in and make things tighter and more to the groove.

If everything checks out there, I'll play another guitar track so I have stereo guitars. If I will have keys in the tune, it will depend on how dominant they are and this will dictate when they get recorded. I sometimes have a bit of a problem with vocal pitches when wavery type keyboard lines are in the way of my vocals. So most of the time, I'll sing my lead vocals without any keys going on unless I'm in need of a piano or something.

From there, I'll do all the backing vocals and then add in the specials like lead guitar, strings, special effects, samples of special effects etc. All the "icing on the cake" stuff last. Hope this helps you a bit, best of luck.
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/03/17 06:44:10

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/17 08:48:57 (permalink)
    Well, this is a good topic. How to get the groove when you're a one man band laying down a track at a time.... it is easy to end up with a sterile performance if you're not careful.

To me the word Groove as relates to a song is synonymous with Feel.

I  lay down a drum track with Jamstix (very cool drum program BTW) instead of using a click track. In Jamstix it is possible to use a bit of humanize to get it a bit looser feeling. (www.rayzoon.com is the site) JS plays some creative stuff.

next I would lay down a scratch track of vocals and guitar.... with as much feeling and groove of the song as I could muster.

From there I add bass, piano and all the other tracks. Lastly, I record the vocal track again. Hopefully, the groove is there and the feel is still there.

How you choose to do it, even if it's not this way, is fine. You must find the work flow that works for you and allows you to capture the groove or feel you are seeking.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/17 09:17:56 (permalink)
    Interesting timing of this thread. I just finally nailed the groove on a 4 year old song the other night.

It all comes down to the drums or the interaction of the drums with bass. There are usually several ways to approach the beat of a song and you need options before locking into the final version. The quickest way is to find a song which has a similar feel and approach for the timing of the song and copy that basic drum approach. You can refine later. But the actual process of getting to the point of using a particular approach is different depending on the primary instrument of the song.

If the song has an acoustic guitar then track that first. A lot of drummers lock the hi hat pattern to the strum pattern of the acoustic. Alternatively if its a keyboard based song the hi hat pattern may emphasize the downbeat or the emphasis of the keyboard chords with the drummers right hand (if a right handed drummer). If it's metal then either the electric or bass will set the emphasis. So basically the approach is different depending on the genre.

As others have stated, sometimes a basic clik track is best when capturing the initial instrument which sets the pattern and tone of the song. This is my approach to which I will then add bass. At this point I will find a pro track with similar sound and feel. After I find a target track and duplicating the kick and snare pattern out goes the clik. I may re-record the bass at this point to match the feel of the drums. I feel it's really important to get this part refined so that the groove is done.

I had a 3/4 country song I wrote several years ago to which any drum pattern I found in Superior Drums or other libraries always sounded hokey. Last week I was listening to a Taylor Swift album, great production by the way, and I noticed the approach the drummer took on a 3/4 song which was completely different than any sample midi I had run across. I copied that pattern and it improved the whole song 100%. I modified the basic beat with cymbal embellishments and a hi hat pattern that matched the acoustic guitar and it really pulled together the song. Finding the best Groove is key to the foundation of any song. It's what makes us tap the foot or bounce the head and putting time in on refining it is key. Otherwise people don't buy the authenticity or passion of the performance.

The best alternative to all this is find a really good drummer and make him your best friend.
    post edited by Middleman - 2011/03/17 09:20:56

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/17 09:30:23 (permalink)
    I play the first sketch-version of the song with acoustic guitar, not caring about small mistakes or such, just concentrating on the feel and groove that I'm after.
    I let the metronome click, but I don't try to follow it faithfully, sometimes I'm behind it, sometimes ahead, but in average I keep the tempo. In the end I can make the final drums and other instrumentals according to the metronome and the acoustic sketch. Only occasionally here and there I edit the drums and bass to fit the details of the groove, guitars and other instruments are played according to the acoustic sketch to fit the groove.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/17 09:39:26 (permalink)
    Middleman

Last week I was listening to a Taylor Swift album, great production by the way, and I noticed the approach the drummer took on a 3/4 song which was completely different than any sample midi I had run across. I copied that pattern and it improved the whole song 100%. I modified the basic beat with cymbal embellishments and a hi hat pattern that matched the acoustic guitar and it really pulled together the song.

Ah yes... grooves are not copyrightable..... so grab the good ones and use them. Excellent way to do it too BTW.

Just a warning...listening to too much Swifty can ...... well we won't go there....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Middleman
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/17 11:24:27 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

Just a warning...listening to too much Swifty can ...... well we won't go there....
    She is a bit sophomoric but the production on her albums is the best in Nashville.

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/17 12:29:41 (permalink)
    I usually start a groove with a beat, either midi or loop. Then lay down a guitar, bass or key idea. The point is to establish the groove by making the first recorded tracks against a real beat, as opposed to the metronome.
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/17 13:39:58 (permalink)
    +1 all,

Funny how one can love a groove one day and hate it the next.

Grooves sound 'professional' when their taken from song-kits.  Song-kits provide an excellent alternative to the re-invent-the-groove syndrome that groove-miesters try to re-invent anyway. --haha!

OTOH, Danny's kick-snare-hat paragidm is proven for me (especially with prior albums).

Thankfully, you/I don't have to rely on a studio drummer with today's beatz.

Lately, I've raised groove elements to higher "dominance", per Yoyo, Danny, and today's paradigms. 

Many may convince me that the groove, not the vocal or guitar, is the dominant element!  (Not just the rhythm, percussives, foundation, etc.)

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    whack
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/17 15:29:28 (permalink)
    Ok, to summarise then, most people here really lay down a midi based drum beat (usually not metrenome), and then try to get one of the instruments (usually the focal instrument of the song) to play the groove of the song to this beat.I generally take this method too.

Would I be right in saying that most people do not have real drums or an electronic drum kit to their availability and so basically (a) use the beat already there (maybe using some humanization tools) or (b) adding a new finer tuned beat instead of the initial structure based beat?

It is really time consuming at the start aint it, I find it takes so long to try to muster up the right beat so I can just get recording!

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/17 17:04:43 (permalink)
    if you have an idea of what you want to do, then finding a suitable midi pattern should take you no longer than 15 minutes (a lot less if you know your patterns and don;t have to audition so many). Most of the 5000 midi beats I have are already "humanized", in that they are simply a digital recording of the drummer's timing and feel in midi format. Other than the kick, very few of these beats fall directly on 2:000 or 2:480. Just a few ticks in either direction provide enough feel. along with minor level changes. 

Therein lies da groove.
    Danny Danzi
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/17 18:09:06 (permalink)
    whack

It is really time consuming at the start aint it, I find it takes so long to try to muster up the right beat so I can just get recording!

Cian
    I'll agree with that...but only when you're creating your own drum track from scratch. I have the highest respect for you guys that create your drums with grooves, samples or step written parts. If I didn't play drums for real, I probably wouldn't record much on my own unless I had a drummer. It is pretty easy to just drop in a midi beat to get yourself started. It's AFTER that it becomes time consuming. I programmed 2 drum kits from the ground up my entire life. The first one I loved because it was new and wasn't anything tricky.

The second one....whew, what a nightmare! I went out and bought an E kit after that because it was just way too time consuming. Of course back then, we didn't have the tools that are available today. So I'm sure writing out a part would take half the time it took me then...but still, it's way more time consuming for me when I can just jump behind my V kit or my real drums. The editing on my playing takes about 15 minutes or less...so this is something I sure am glad to have in my arsenal. God Bless all you guys that don't play drums or have a real kit at your disposal that create these awesome drum parts. :D My hat goes off to you!

My Site
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/17 18:58:21 (permalink)
    Rather than building up layers one instrument at a time, I work on the interplay between 2 instruments, one phrase at a time.  Once the groove has been established, more instruments can be added later without losing the groove.

The 2 selected instruments can vary from one phrase to the next.  Sometimes it's drums and guitar together, or it might be bass and piano together, or any other combination.  I focus on whichever 2 instruments are going to be prominent or crucial for that particular phrase.  To Me, it doesn't make sense to add a prominent instrument at a late stage in the process, or to wait before adding an important lead instrument just because the drums are not finished yet.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    Danny Danzi
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/18 03:43:42 (permalink)
    Kev999

To Me, it doesn't make sense to add a prominent instrument at a late stage in the process, or to wait before adding an important lead instrument just because the drums are not finished yet.
    If you're not quite clear on why I mentioned that about waiting, I'll explain. When I create a basic midi for tracking purposes, it's not like what you would probably create if you wrote a drum part. It's what I call a "stagnant click" and it's only there to allow the tracking of instrumentation. Once things are tracked, a real drum track is going to be different. Some of the beats may be heavily groove oriented, staggered, syncopated and there will be new life bread into the tune. This changes what the instruments will be doing, especially if it's a main instrument. If my stagnant midi track is a basic "boom bap, boom boom bap" (not to be cornfused with"bap-u" lol) and the real drum track has a bit more gusto and groove going on, your main instrumentation may need to key off of this type of thing more than following the stagnant click. For me, certain instrumentation needs all the right stuff before I can track it so I have the right feel going on. I sometimes can't even feel it if the right drums are not in place...so I hold off until the song materializes into the vision I heard in my head so the main instruments can be spot on and in "groove time" as opposed to "stagnant click" time. Make sense at all?

My Site
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/18 07:43:00 (permalink)
    Good thread.  Nice to hear how other people approach the groove.

My approach has evolved over the years.  Currently a song starts out with a guitar vamp or riff.  When I develop the vamp to a certain point I record it into Sonar (with the click).  Then I get out my padkontrol and tap in a very basic drum pattern - inpired by the guitar part.  As I add a chorus or bridge it is the same process:  Guitar first then basic drums.  Melody is next and usually follows the guitar / drum tracks.  Once the basic "skeleton" is recorded I'll add more parts, and modify the drums as needed to follow different accents that I may dream up when adding different parts. 

Since the bass part is practically written with my guitar riff  I don't need to add the actual bass part until later.  Near the end I'll completely re-do the drums (and all the guitar parts).

I never using pre-existing midi grooves.  I have nothing against them, but since I've played a fair amount of real drums I can create whatever "beats" I need from scratch (on the padkontrol) very easily (and quickly).  Sometimes I think I'm missing out by not using pre-existing grooves because there are so many good ones out there. 
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/18 07:58:16 (permalink)

"Since the bass part is practically written with my guitar riff  I don't need to add the actual bass part until later."

Ah Hah!!!!

Weren't you recently asking about your concerns that your bass isn't sitting where you want it?

The best way to reserve a place for the bass and to get everything to sound well tuned to the bass tone is to get the bass down very very early.

best regards,
    mike

guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/18 21:33:26 (permalink)
    Good one Mike!  Actually, after I learned how to EQ the darn bass in the last few weeks it is sitting very nicely.  For years I was using trilogy with way too many low frequencies that you couldn't discern the bass amongst the guitars.  I tried adding distortion / overdrive to bring out the mids and all that did was camouflage it even more.

I'm glad you read my post though - I was explaining how I come up with the groove and ultimately the "skeleton" of a song.  That's just my way of doing it. Usually, everything follows my initial guitar part.  It is my most comfortable writing instrument.  I don't write songs on the bass - I don't even own one.  (Actually I used to play bass in a couple different bands in my earlier life but sold all my basses).  Since my songs are usually guitar oriented, the bass is really just a reinforcment of the guitar parts.  That is not a rule, but generally how I do it.

The reason I wait until later is because I'm trying all sorts of accents and "kicks" and so forth while the song is being composed.  If I started putting down the bass parts right away it only creates more work for me to quickly try different things.  I guess you could call that the "composition phase" of the song.  Once the song is composed I'll put the bass down along with strings, piano, and whatever else.

This practice of putting the bass parts down later is relatively new for me as I used to compose / arrange putting all parts down.  However, If I don't like something I'll scrap entire sections and start over.  Because of this I try to put in minimal "production" effort until I am completely happy with the composition.
    Norrie
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1665
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/18 22:02:43 (permalink)
    I Play all my drums from scratch but before puting down the drums I always  set the click and Record a guide guitar.

Turn the Click up as loud as I can get it and turn the guide down so I can only just hear it when playing the drums this lets me feel whats going on but not follow the Guide guitar and just follow the click useing the guide to take ques from etc.

After that I delete the guide guitar and record the bass  then re record the guitar part etc etc.

If I am doing a studio session for another band not in my Studio I normaly ask for the same thing unless for some reason they have already recorded all parts with a click then I will just folow the click and all the recorded parts and just go with it they can stop the recording if its not got the feeling they want and we can play about with it.

I guess there isnt really any right or wrong way to do any of this if the end result is good :) what works for one person might not be best for the next.

I know other people who when recording there drums just cant record with guide tracks and just play with drums and click noting else. ( you really have to know your song doing that though )

Friends of mine who use midi grooves tend to get a tight Guitar track recorded tight to the click and then use midi groove clips to make up the drums for the songs and draw what else is needed in to piano roll then if the guitars need changed record them again or put the bass down then guitar etc

I think a lot of it that way is just trial and error takeing me back to if it works for you then use it :) if it dont then keep going until you find the best way for yourself to work :)

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/18 23:13:38 (permalink)
    One technique that I use and find very good is to use a standard click but instead of hearing it on the ON beat, organise it so that it is on the OFF beat instead. eg for a rock groove the click is on all the and beats eg 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 

The reason this works is that all the ON beats are free and there is no sound so you will not only hear the click much better but you have a fair bit of discretion as to where to place any sounds that fall on the ON beats. A much better groove results.

For Jazz tunes arrange the click on beats 2 and 4 only. As drummers you should practice this way too. Now Sonar and many DAW's cannot organise their clicks this way so you have to resort to creating audio/midi tracks etc and moving them but it is well worth it.

It is also harder than hearing clicks on the ON beats as well. It does take practice to master. But if you are a great drummer such as myself  then it is a no brainer.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Middleman
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/19 00:04:20 (permalink)
    With regard to the clik track, Jeff you reminded me of my latest approach to the clik, I don't use beeps or midi tones for that any more. The standard metronome in Sonar is ticking sound. I have been using a cowbell wave sound recently and it really helps tonally to not loose the click during tracking. That seems to be the problem with drummers losing the clik or a guitarist who is dealing with significant volume at the source while trying to hear the clik on headphones. Some unusual tonal sound source can help keep things on track especially at the beginning of tracking.

digi2ns
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2694
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/19 01:08:17 (permalink)
    Ive thought on this hours on end also but am more of acoustical tracks more than midi.  I completely agree with everyone above on all their inputs and thoughts on how they do but as was said, you have to find what works for you and what is in your mind that you are looking to convey in your composing.  It appears that you have other band members that you are wanting to get into the groove that you invision in your mind and are trying to capture partly through your Keyboards starting from scratch, Im assuming.

My first reaction would be to
    1.  add an Acoustic Track; throw in simple SD3 beat with a Hihat, Kick and Snare close to the melody you want to get across in your music just for reference. (As a click track)

2.  Lay down a scratch take of Vocals & Primary instrument (guitar or Keys) to the beat you have established above but play it with the feeling you are trying to project in the song. (You have to sell your story in a way that captures people emotions/thoughts)

3. Then you can actually start working on the real stuff at this point.  I prefer the order that Danny suggests above as I am more of a guitarist myself.

When it comes to the midi notes and trying to accomplish that sound of a band in a groove and clicks together while playing getting their feeling to the crowd or as a soloist on a gutiar or piano playing to an audience I believe requires a very time consuming process of adjusting each midi notes Intensity, velocity, etc... to the tone you are trying to achieve. There are videos I believe in Cakewalk TV/University on adjusting the individual notes to give them the personal touch/feeling you are looking. This sounds very time consuming but I believe it is the only way to get the individual midi notes to sound more like they are being played with feeling rather than that one mechanical level across the board.

OK, enuff babling from me.

I listened to some of your stuff-Very nice I might add!!!   ;)

MIKE

--Dell Studio XPS I7/870 2.93 Ghz, 8GB Mem, 2-2TB Barracuda HDs, 500 GB Ext.HDD, Win7/64
    --X1 64 Pro Expanded, Dual 21" Monitors 
    --PCR500  
    --MAUDIO FastTrack Ultra
    --Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO
    --Line6 X3 Live
    --Gibson, Fender, Takamine, Schecter, Washburn
    http://pogopoppa.wix.com/5thgear#
     http://soundcloud.com/digi2ns  

Norrie
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1665
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/19 10:18:55 (permalink)
    One rule Ive always followed with the click is turn up the volume and actualy just play around the kit make sure you can hear the click.

Once the volume of the click is set start laying down a groove to the click and what I find is if I cant hear the click then I am bang on it but the momment I start to slow down or speed up the click will become more prominent so I know I am starting to fall behind the click or speed up.

I normaly work around a rule if I cant hear it I am bang on it :)

Only problem with that is a lot of Drummers panic the second they cant hear the click rather than just going with it

This works for me I am not saying it will work for all drummers every one has a different way but that is mine :)

Norrie
    post edited by Norrie - 2011/03/19 10:21:36

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    droddey
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/19 14:34:25 (permalink)
    Just a few random thoughts...

1. Sometimes the problem with playing to the click is that you have no 8th or 16th notes in them, so it's harder to feel comfortable playing with the timing and easier to drift in a bad way. So sometimes just setting the metronome to double your actual tempo can help.

2. Sometimes instead of the above I'll set the metronome to the actual tempo then sync a real metronome to it that is set to the 8th or 16th tempo and record that. That often works better because it's a completely different sound, almost like the real metronome is a high hat sequence and the MIDI metronome is the kick/snare.

3. Obviously all of this will be far easier if you aren't trying to create something on the fly as you go. If you have worked out the song in your head, maybe done a rough demo of it or the parts of it, it's a lot easier to have a feel for where the interactions between instruments can be, how to stay out of the way of the vocal that doesn't exist yet, etc...

4. You could record an acoustic and vocal to a click track until you get it solid and groovin'. Then turn off the click track and play everything else to that guide track, and then toss the guitar and redo the vocal. That would leave you playing to the human variation of yourself on guitar instead of to the click track. Or maybe just keep the click track way down low only to help with re-entry after breaks.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    whack
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/19 14:57:13 (permalink)
    Wow, a lot of interesting feedback on this. digi2ns i prob agree with, getting down a  basic click and then getting the focal instrument to get that groove, then using that groove when adding in other stuff.

I like to build midi drums from scratch since I can play drums but it is tedious, roland v drum might b on the cards.

Anyone else find that if you type a simple beat in session drummer (SD2 in this case) that sometimes it actually goes off time? or maybe that just what Norrie said, you panic when you start hearing the beat!

Thanks for all info.

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    quantumeffect
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2771
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/21 23:50:58 (permalink)
    When I am recording my own material (as a one man band) in my own home studio, my primary technique is to chart out the drum track, set my Dr. Beat metronome and record the track without any music.  This is challenging but I’ve been doing it this way for a long time now.

Alternatively, if the arrangement is not complete but I have access to a singer, I will record a stripped down beat to my Dr. Beat click with the basic feel I am looking for … then record a rhythm guitar and vocal track.  At that point I can arrange the song after the fact by moving the vocal parts around in Sonar, add the drums using the vocals as a guide (the rhythm guitar may or may not be a keeper), then build the song from there.  Believe it or not, I find it easier to add the bass later in the process rather than earlier.

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
    droddey
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/22 15:06:41 (permalink)
    Unless you have a lot of experience, I figure it's best to put the most important parts down first, those that will have the most frequency real estate. Then, from there forward, everything else loses if it conflicts with those important parts, by reducing their frequency suckage. In much rock, drums are key, and lots of pros start with the drum production, then bass, then everything else. I guess in modern rock the bass is often not so much of a thing as it used to be, or guitars for that matter these days.

But it's hard for most of us to see where things would have to lie to leave the correct hole for a key part of the song to be put down later. I don't want to create the song in the mix, so I want to know how things should sound as much as possible and track it that way. So I will generally try to get those key bits down first, and anything else that goes down has to fit into what's there or lose.

I think it often helps if you have a guide track of some sort, a commercial track whose production is close to what you want. That can help you foresee what you are going to need tone-wise on those early tracks, so that they will fit the final production after the other stuff goes down.
    post edited by droddey - 2011/03/22 15:08:52

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    digi2ns
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2694
    Re:nailing "the groove" of the song!! 2011/03/25 08:18:37 (permalink)
    I found this in the ref manual that might also help if one of your tracks has that groove feeling you are trying for and others do not.

Pg 704 Groove Quantize Tips
    Stealing that feeling. Suppose you have a dry piece that was composed and entered into
    SONAR with a rigid sense of timing (for example, using step recording). You’ve recorded a bass line
    that has exactly the off-beat rhythmic dynamic you want for the dry piece. You’d like to force your
    other tracks to share that feel. Copy the bass track to the Clipboard; from the Groove Quantize
    dialog box, select the Clipboard as the groove source; choose a resolution value roughly on the
    order of the duration of the bass notes and a window of 100 percent. SONAR aligns the melody note
    events with the nearest bass notes.

MIKE

--Dell Studio XPS I7/870 2.93 Ghz, 8GB Mem, 2-2TB Barracuda HDs, 500 GB Ext.HDD, Win7/64
    --X1 64 Pro Expanded, Dual 21" Monitors 
    --PCR500  
    --MAUDIO FastTrack Ultra
    --Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO
    --Line6 X3 Live
    --Gibson, Fender, Takamine, Schecter, Washburn
    http://pogopoppa.wix.com/5thgear#
     http://soundcloud.com/digi2ns  

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1