Helpful ReplyPositive vs. Negative Spaces ...

Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
2011/03/18 12:39:56 (permalink)

Positive vs. Negative Spaces ...

Also ... Tearing down and rebuilding vs. remodeling what you already have.

Additive Edits vs. Subtractive Edits

Your specific or general ponderings please ... as I believe this would benefit us all:

(you don't have to answer all):

Do you intuitively (as an artist) know when to Subtract vs. Add performances (or 'brushstrokes' in the painterly sense)?

When do you like to ask for feedback from others ... when your mix is euphonic or cacaphonic?  You artists are extremely sensitive with your labors of love.

How would you approach 'starting over', 're-starting', to re-gain your original inspiration/vision/love?

Would you re-gesso your whole canvas (composition) and completely wipe out everything for a fresh attack, or leave certain translucent parts showing through ... to guide you back?

(I realize you/I are in a state of flux and there are no right/wrong answers ... just opinions and exhortations)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my personal view of negative spaces, erasing some of the cacaphony, etc.

1) Given the genre backround and groove ... I'll try to be faithful to the arrangement and percussives ... being certain that the dynamics and timings are inspired and alive

2) I strive for 'raw positive' performances and 'happy accidents' ... knowing that many will lead to cacaphony ... but praying hard that I know what to erase to support the dominant element, dominant theme, dominant portrait, dominant hook, etc.

3) When its subjectively "too late", its difficult for me to ask for feedback, due to the immense performance efforts and personal abasements that seem to arise in my failings.  So I think I prefer to redo it alone ... till its right.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re:Positive vs. Negative Spaces ... 2011/03/18 13:19:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
We (SMB) write & record instrumental music and really, nothing is written in stone early on; an electric guitar part could well sound better played via synths, which may suggest a guitar harmony, leading back to another synth, then it could get too 'electronic' so we might strip out parts and replace with mandolin or other acoustic instrument, to balance things a bit.

I always liken it to a picture coming into focus very slowly, you don't see all the detail until the end. Percussion is vital in adding colour as the tune goes along, we'll often start off with 7 or 8 percussion tracks all hammering away, then take out several of them on the intro, adding them back in one by one as things progess. This has the effect of solidifying the groove - you can make the tune 'float' early on, then a rhythm gradually kicks in.

Harmony or counter-melodic parts are also really useful to add interest to a repeated section later in the tune, and again you can take out parts of a full melody line and replace with counter melody, bring the top line it back again later on, over the harmony.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re:Positive vs. Negative Spaces ... 2011/03/18 15:17:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
when i'm writing a new song, i stick with the basics...

groove, melody, arrangement, hooks, lyric, pretty much in that order of importance.

then, as i'm tracking, i let my imagination run wild.
i add every element i can think of, that MIGHT work with the song, knowing later, i'll put on my 'producer' hat, and get rid of approximatly 50% of it!!

did i say 50%?

LOL

ok, well, 49%.

i want things to work with, at the mix stage.

so, for me, long story short, i think it's best to be creative during tracking, and NOT make mix decisions, until you have time to walk away from it, come back and look at the big picture.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Kroneborge
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1300
Re:Positive vs. Negative Spaces ... 2011/03/18 15:47:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
One thing I've definitely noticed is that a lot of songs are all about bringing in and out different instruements to keep interest.  That way you can keep the same feel for most of the song, but not let it get borring.

goove, melody, arrangement, hooks, lyric, pretty much in that order of importance.

This is pretty much the way I do stuff to.   Although, I'm trying to switch it up a bit on the current song I'm working with, and treat vocals just like I do another instrument (and thus get more attention sooner).   We'll see how it goes.

Mathew

Hip Hop
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

Player
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 330
Re:Positive vs. Negative Spaces ... 2011/03/18 20:40:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
It is the figure and ground principle from the visual arts or as Bob Seger said, "What to leave in/what to leave out."

I love when one instrument or one voice is recorded so well that it can stand alone.  It seems that when an instrument or voice does not sound good, more instruments and voices are piled on top to "cover" it up.

The technology is here, editing software, bit depth, noice floor, sampled pianos, etc. and most pop music is a mash of doubled and triple-tracked instruments.

I really believe that recorded music is eventually going to realize it's potential.

The very best to all,

David

Studio Cat i7
Philip
Re:Positive vs. Negative Spaces ... 2011/03/19 09:45:42 (permalink)
Excellent thoughts -- all!

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re:Positive vs. Negative Spaces ... 2011/03/19 11:23:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I never know anything.

If I add, I first like it, then propably hate it the next day.
If I substract, I'll miss the part later.

When I listen to my arrangements I'd like to change 70 % of them, and when I've done it, I'd still like to change 70 %.

I never know anything when my songs are in question, except for the lyrics.
I can make words work, which doesn't mean I have something meaningfull to say.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:Positive vs. Negative Spaces ... 2011/03/20 00:12:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Everything *I* do has a blue-print. When a song idea comes to me, it usually comes to me in full where I can hear everything in my head. When I'm tracking, I'm tracking. I don't start mixing or messing around with anything at this point. To me, though it can be helpful in certain situations, I'd like the entire sketch be present before I start stereotyping anything or messing around.
When I'm done tracking, then I'm mixing and producing what I heard in my head. Sometimes I have to really work hard and re-track things or snip a few things up and experiment, other times things go as planned.

When working with others, the same things apply. When the song is presented to me, I hear ideas. I write up my blue-print as well as my soundstage as to how I'll be handling things. If what I hear out of the monitors isn't what I hear in my head, I'll add or subtract until it is. I've not had to zero out a mix and start from scratch since 2003. A few times with old projects, but never with something current because I just wasn’t getting what I was looking for. Things just do not get printed these days over here unless the sounds blow my doors off. I'll spend what ever time it takes to get a sound great on its own naturally before I'll attempt to polish a turd and "fix it in the mix".

Now to answer your questions directly, Philip.

"Do you intuitively (as an artist) know when to Subtract vs. Add performances (or 'brushstrokes' in the painterly sense)?"

Yes. Everything I do is for the song and never for my personal pleasure unless I'm doing an instrumental album for myself. Unfortunately, you don't get this same control when working with clients because most times they have their own vision they are hoping to deliver. To them, what I consider "over-playing" is "no, it's killer sounding and it's one of the best things I've ever played!" They are so close to the killer idea they came up with that they don't understand that they just ruined an incredible song and that killer idea isn't necessarily the right choice for THIS song. You know....like a killer ballad, and a guitar player feels the need to shred all over it like he's doing exercises in his bedroom? Or, a bassist or drummer grooving all over something when they should sit in the pocket? You have to know when to say when with this stuff. A good friend of mine is working on a tune that I'll call "Jungle Juice" for now. He's got every style known to man just about in one song. It's not an easy tune to mix because of all the tracks as well as the got top notch artists he got to perform on it. But in some spots, it's definitely over-kill and some stuff will need to be subtracted or maybe even removed.

"When do you like to ask for feedback from others ... when your mix is euphonic or cacaphonic?  You artists are extremely sensitive with your labors of love."

I’ll probably open up a can of worms with my response here, but I’m honestly speaking how I feel about this. I rarely ask for feedback because it's too subjective to me and most people will give subjective opinions that are not really important. Instead of them viewing the painting I have presented the way it was intended, they seem to feel they should give me feedback based on THEIR vision of my song. The second you get that type of feedback, you've just wasted reading time *IF* that’s not the type of feedback you were hoping for.

There's a right way and a wrong way to talk about a "child". That's what my songs are to me...my "children". Each one is loved...flaws and all. However, this is what most opinions lack. Not only talking about the tune, but proper explanation of "flaws". If there are no blatant issues, a tune is a good tune, right? I hate the guitar sound on some old YES albums…but I love Steve Howe and think he’s amazing as well as how the songs sound. So rather than beat up on his guitar tone, I’d just say “incredible tune man!” It doesn’t help much for me to tell him I hated the guitar tone, does it? That’s not up to me to decide. He liked it or it wouldn’t have been printed.

I can go back in time and list incredible mixes that had high acclaim, and point out how I hated certain sounds that annoyed me. I’d probably be able to sell my reasons to others that may not have listened the way I did when I explain what I'm hearing that bothers me. But, that said, it’s really not for me to decide. The opinions of others are just too subjective and people sometimes don't give you the right feedback. So and so listened to your tune on lap top speakers....now he's bashing the heck out of your mix because his reference material that he is used to listening to on his lappy, is way different from yours. If someone listens on a laptop when I’m crying out for help....I’d rather they don't give me any feedback because it's not going to be accurate...know what I mean? If that’s all they have, so be it…but I’m sure you can understand where I’m coming from.
When I ask someone to give my stuff a listen, it's a credible person that is going to listen objectively letting me know about any possible issues or errors within the mix. This is the type of feedback *I* look forward to when I reach out to someone. Or they may bring something to my attention that I may have missed because I'm too close to the project. An artifact, a dissonance, a phase issue, a sub low rumble, abrasiveness, mid range congestion...and there are reasons for this which they will state to help me eliminate the issues if they exist.

So be selective when you ask for feedback. To me this is extremely important. There are people you call on to listen to “the song” and then there are people you call on to listen to “the mix” that will REALLY give you the important stuff you need to hear that will most often not be subjective. A friend that is also a credible engineer may give you his take, but that’s a bit different than an outsider with a voice for the sake of a voice that doesn’t really help much other than throwing opinions out. If I’m not asked for a subjective opinion, it’s not my business to mention it. If I don’t comment at all, chances are some things are better left unsaid. Right, wrong or otherwise, that’s just how I roll on stuff like that.

To answer this question in two sentences though?

I ask for feedback when I think something is good and just want to check to make sure what I consider good, is the same “good” as what my credible sources are hearing.

I also ask for feedback when I’m a bit iffy on something or might be having a problem in an area that is making me question myself or the decisions I’ve made.

I’ve had to call on Bob Katz and Beau Hill a few times. These are the credible sources I’m talking about that can really make a huge impact on the decisions you make because these are gentleman that know engineering.

The other side of the coin is, there are times when bouncing ideas off of clients is a good thing. Some of them can be quite helpful even if they aren’t into all the aesthetics of the engineering field. After all, it is their song. I've even asked them opinions on my songs. But you have to be careful with this because the majority do not know the internal values in engineering. They’d sacrifice a good hook in favor of a killer guitar riff because it’s "cool".

“How would you approach 'starting over', 're-starting', to re-gain your original inspiration/vision/love?”

Thank God I’ve not had to do this often once I learned how to do this stuff the right way. But when I have had to do it or work on an old idea from scratch with my current knowledge, I zero everything out, no effects, all eq’s disabled and I just listen to the instruments to determine if maybe I need to re-track something. If I don’t need to, I try to make the instruments sound as good as they can while preserving the idea of the song. Sometimes I’ll take an old idea and go for something entirely new. It all depends on the song as well as how good or bad the tracking is..and of course what frame of mind I’m in.

“Would you re-gesso your whole canvas (composition) and completely wipe out everything for a fresh attack, or leave certain translucent parts showing through ... to guide you back?”

I usually have several mixes of the same song so I can always go back and compare what I’ve done in the past verses what I’ve done presently. I’m so crazy about this, I save a mix and name it something different each time something new is brought into the equation. This also allows me to experiment with the mixes to where I don’t have to worry about ever losing anything past or present. I’ll also borrow from the things in one mix and apply them to another. Or sometimes, I will just zero it all out and start fresh. But this is extremely rare as I’ve noted. I’m such a stickler for how things are tracked, there usually isn’t much of a need for extensive eq, compression or anything else really.

If I could sum up the art of engineering in one paragraph, it would go a little like this:

High pass the sub lows, accentuate the correct lows, remove mid range congestion, add correct mid range, remove harsh highs, add or subtract good or bad highs, check for frequency masking, compress for consistency or for effect purposes if need be, eq effects properly so they aren’t problem areas, pan things up for my sound stage and I’m done most times.

Unless I need to create an entirely different sound, what I track is often what my mix will sound like…only enhanced in all the right areas. If you spend too much time polishing a turd so to speak, you’ve wasted valuable mixing time. Heck, you’ve taken time off your life. LOL! I just don’t feel the need to ever do this unless it’s one of those times where “you’re stuck with what you’re stuck with”. I’ve secretly altered client files that were just wrong and they didn’t even know I touched anything. I had a bassist that was so bad one time that I had to grab GOOD notes from other songs and manufacture/create a bass part. I did this for an hour and said “what am I nuts?” I grabbed my bass, and played it correctly. To this day, he doesn’t know it’s not him…and neither does anyone else. I don’t like to do that, but if my name is going to go on something, sometimes you have to do what you have to do. As long as no one complains, and it works, mission accomplished.

So that's how I go about this stuff, Philip. Sorry for yet another novel, but I'm so into this stuff, I can't think of how else to say it. Hope this helps a bit. :)
post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/03/20 00:17:27

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Philip
Re:Positive vs. Negative Spaces ... 2011/03/20 10:42:52 (permalink)
James, Bat, Mathew, David, Kalle, Danny,

I seriously appreciate your indepth responses ... which I've read and re-read several times,

Certainly your thoughts have boosted my hopes ... in the daily struggle to be artistic with the vanities and excellencies at hand.

Danny, I'm guessing most of us would agree on your excellent paradigms and schemes.  I certainly do.  It is a major undertaking to deal in art.
Its interesting how the "blueprint" becomes your guide, do or die ... haha!  OTOH, I've done that for years (art and music), discovering that the spontaneous blueprint-sketch itself is something else ... and mega-fresh-spontaneity can't oft be counted on --haha!  But you justified the theory well, especially with the engineering precepts you've summed.

Kalle, you certainly feel my art-dilemma, and I appreciate your strivings.

But I'll add: We all have turd-diaries that we don't mind giving extra attention, due to our neurotic (compulsive) nature and/or loving natures and hopes for that child.  Birthing and raising a song-child until he/she matures ... can be difficult ... despite a performance being perfect ... often from the start.

IOWs, some songs are best as sketches, to leave untouched ... their sketchy simplicity (3 hours work) is a masterpiece of beauty.  But a 3 year work may also be a masterpiece of beauty.  Time and chance (happy accidents) happens and you/I the artist-parents try to select the best. 

Sacrificing time is important too most of us ... another topic.  But, I think loving-patience is detectable in many symphonies ... that evolved more than spontaneously generated.

I can detect a song-child that has a lot of virtue (like patience and love) ... the song-child may not shine technically ... but he/she has a place in the family (so to speak). 

Of course a lot of artists aren't so personal and I respect their craft, albeit, not their art spirit.  A lot would be better off as scientists.  I don't see that as the case here.

Philip  

Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:Positive vs. Negative Spaces ... 2011/03/20 11:00:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Well said Philip. The one thing I must say about my lil turd adventures...lol...man, they DO really teach you things because you work so hard trying to sort them out. New techniques, new ways of dealing with things, new effects you might not have ever used before etc. So in a sense, stuff like this can definitely help us to grow as well. We just have to watch that they don't take us too far off our course. :)

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
Re:Positive vs. Negative Spaces ... 2011/03/20 12:44:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
There is art and there is commercial. When creating commercial it's best to have a commercial framework at your disposal. Occasionally, the two merge.

There is also purposeful art, that which seeks to be non-commercial. As long as you understand your direction, it helps in crafting the musical piece.

The alternative is when you are experimenting which is not a bad thing because it can lead to some interesting creative results. At the end of experimenting you have to determine a direction of art, commercial or abandonment.

Generally my experience.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
Philip
Re:Positive vs. Negative Spaces ... 2011/03/21 15:24:59 (permalink)
+1, of course, myself I'm mostly seeking beauty (I think --haha!)

Many of us strive for commercial-painterly sketches ... usually after the 1st or 2nd version, the commercial is 'ready'.

I suppose film scores may follow the commercial ideal as well; film scores have always been 'unchallenging' to me because they lack message and rely on the visuals etc.  Not that Danny Elfman doesn't have his moments, but the voxless pomp grows dull quickly for me.  I'd never use Elfman for repeat listening.

OTOH, Rolifer, here, has a some 'convincing' moments as well ... when he 'cans' a symphony in a couple hours.  (Commercial)

Grabbing a Drone from EWQL S2 or Beatscape ... and playing Hollywood Strings, etc. is 'cool' but it doesn't fill my soul, despite the Voices of Passion, Choirs, and other candy counters.

I'm hypothesizing that your songs and mine are not pure vanity, that your/my heart lives forever in them, that everything has a 'higher' purpose that our songs peek into, etc. (other than money and popularity --haha!)

But money-political sketches are excellent schemes to learn from, FWIW IMHO, but I wouldn't call them "child-songs" worthy of too much adoration.

Philip  

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1