Utility laptop for my wife?

Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2011/03/18 20:41:33 (permalink)

Utility laptop for my wife?

I have Toshiba Satellite Pro i7 for a util laptop. It's time to upgrade my wife's laptop.

It seems like Toshiba doesn't have many bargain i7s like they did last year.

Prices seem stagnant compared to last year... but finally I am seeing some i5 stuff on sale.

Is something about to change in computer land?

My wife does a lot of Photoshop so 64bit, a good cpu, and a large screen are the combo I'm looking for.

The i7 stuff with a big screen is being sold as serious gaming gear and more expensive than I paid for my rig last year.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
best regards,
mike

5 Replies Related Threads

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Utility laptop for my wife? 2011/03/19 00:44:50 (permalink)
    Ah, Mike, if it wasn't for the photoshop I'd suggest a Pad.  I picked up the viewsonic android Pad ($400) and ordered a case/keyboard for another $35, so it becomes a laptap, too.  (The case combo is getting shipped from china - if it passes through the right spot in the pacific it might come as a glow-in the dark accessory).  Pretty cool thing with the touch screen, tho none of the music controllerstuff for android is out).  It should work fine for a light work laptop once I can type w/ it (hate using the keys on a touchscreen).

So you've never had a problem w/ Toshiba, Mike?  My daughter broke hers, twice.  I figured it was her, not the company.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Utility laptop for my wife? 2011/03/19 09:57:34 (permalink)
    I've been really hard on my Toshiba laptops over the years and they seem ok.

I have a 18.5" screen now and really enjoy it.

It seems like the price went up on that model and then it disappeared.

My wife's old Toshiba just will not die... but it's time for her to get more power.

I want to get her at least the 17"... because we both use them as desktop replacements.

My 18.5 has lately also become our streaming video TV.... once we finally got broadband I unhooked the TV and it just sits there.

:-)

I think I'd really enjoy a pad as well.

best regards,
    mike

Mesh
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re:Utility laptop for my wife? 2011/03/23 09:55:12 (permalink)
    Good thing this post isn't in a classified section as from the title, it seemed like you were looking for an even trade.....lol

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Utility laptop for my wife? 2011/03/23 11:45:57 (permalink)
    My wife does a lot of Photoshop so 64bit, a good cpu, and a large screen are the combo I'm looking for.

Hi Mike,

The upper end HPs are nice for general purpose use.
    I'd try to get a machine that uses 1333MHz RAM, fastest CPU budget will allow, and Max out the RAM if she's using Photoshop.  The new MBPs will be nice once you can actually buy a Thunderbolt HD/array... but the upper end MBPs are $2k+.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    mainterpet
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re:Utility laptop for my wife? 2011/04/15 15:09:05 (permalink)
    You can complete system images, and specify individual files or folders for backup on a regular basis. It's not as fancy as other backup utilities that are out there, but it works fine for basic, standard objectives.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1