Music Video - Music produced with Sonar X1

Author
Edgetone
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 68
2011/03/19 19:41:55 (permalink)

Music Video - Music produced with Sonar X1

Hi all,

Just wanted to share the music video my daughter and I created for our local radio station 91.3 The Zone - Modern Rock. They're having a contest called "Show Your Zone", where you need to prove that you are the ultimate zoner.

NinetyOne.3 by Candace Woodland

Candace wrote the music and of course sang and starred in it.

The guitar was actually recorded two years ago using whatever version of Sonar Producer I was on at that time (7?). I believe I used a Rode NT-1 on the guitar.

The vocals were recorded with my recently acquired M-Audio Sputnik tube mic. Other than some slight compression with Pro-Channel and Perfect Space reverb, there was no processing on the vocals.

The drums are Session Drummer 3 (can't remember which kit, but could check if you are interested). The snare was processed through Transient Shaper.  The Kick through the PX-64 Percussion Strip. Pro-Channel was used on the kick, share and toms strips, and overall drum bus compression on the kit.

The bass was was my Geddy Lee Fender Jazz, played direct and processed with Guitar Rig and again, Pro-Channel.

The video was cut together with Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 (which I picked up for $89 on Monday).

This is our first video attempt (and my first video ever). Let me know what you think, and if you like it, leave my daughter some comments on the YouTube page.

We already managed to get her some airplay. The contest is decided next Friday the 25th.

post edited by red24 - 2011/03/20 13:38:34

Jon Woodland
Edgetone Studios - Where sound meet vision
www.edgetonestudios.com

15 Replies Related Threads

mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Music Video - Produced with Sonar X1 2011/03/19 19:59:02 (permalink)
    Nice voice she has there. Love the vibrato.

Acoustic verb I wasn't a fan off.. Too bedroom sounding for my liking. But that one's not much of an issue, really. I would have personally just done it differently.

I think vox could do with some light room verb to sit it in the mix a little more and there was one edit early on in the vox that REALLY stood out. At around 21 seconds in. Few little off notes here and there, not too bad, but something v-vocal could quickly fix in a second. The harmonies especially could have a little work. Can be tricky singing your own harmonies as it's difficult to really practise until you're at the recording stage or have a second singer who you can sing with!

Good work though, must have been a lot of fun! Looks like you got around the place a bit to do some filming which would have been nice. Keep it up!

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Edgetone
    Re:Music Video - Produced with Sonar X1 2011/03/19 20:17:00 (permalink)
    Thanks for the feedback.

I knew about that one edit, but we were pretty rushed. We only had the guitar down when we started recording Saturday night.  We filmed all day Sunday, then I was working and she was in school. We only had four evenings to put it all together, and I had never used Sony Vegas before.

Also, had a few glitchy things happening in X1. At one point, the drums kept dropping out. I have a quad core i7, with tons of ram, Win7x64. The CPU's were barely working. I froze the synth, which helped, but then found it froze wrong notes in some places. Pretty weird.

Anyway. We're pretty happy with it.

Jon Woodland
    www.edgetonestudios.com
    A1MixMan
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1706
    Re:Music Video - Produced with Sonar X1 2011/03/19 20:22:06 (permalink)
    Cool. Always happy to see (and hear) what other users are doing.

Good luck in the contest!

A1
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Music Video - Produced with Sonar X1 2011/03/19 21:34:52 (permalink)
    great stuff... it's cool to see you having fun with your child.

I really liked the edit to the bicycle when the chorus kicked in.

I liked the harmonies as well.

Great smiles too.

Good luck.

best regards,
    mike

Mully
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1545
    Re:Music Video - Produced with Sonar X1 2011/03/19 21:36:50 (permalink)
    I second Matts stuff and the Sputnik explained the way the vocal sat 'as is' but overall this is a great effort. Given how you had to rush things... well done to you!

You produced something very usable and got some output. Full cred I say!

Cheers.

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Music Video - Produced with Sonar X1 2011/03/19 22:47:27 (permalink)
    So you picked up the software on Monday and finished your first video on Saturday? What took you so long?

Hope you win!

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Edgetone
    Re:Music Video - Produced with Sonar X1 2011/03/19 22:49:58 (permalink)
    @bitflipper: We finished on Thursday (submitted around midnight). Took me to today to brag about it. 

Jon Woodland
    www.edgetonestudios.com
    scarrabri@aol.com
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:Music Video - Produced with Sonar X1 2011/03/20 10:40:01 (permalink)
    Cor, is some one joking here ,this was awesome ,not just good ,very awesome and deserves to win any competition that comes along , so very well done Candace,and here's to you pops looks like you played a major part ,a standing ovation to you both ,best wishes Brian.
    stratman70
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3044
    Re:Music Video - Produced with Sonar X1 2011/03/20 10:57:16 (permalink)
    Real nice-Fun video to watch and listen to. Nice job and Nice vox- As far as I am concerned-I am so glad I didn't have to listen to auto tuned or V Vocal crap. It is what it is and it is Nice-You have my vote!
    Thanks for sharing
    Frank
    post edited by stratman70 - 2011/03/20 11:02:21

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Music Video - Produced with Sonar X1 2011/03/20 11:12:16 (permalink)
    red, you really did an excellent job on this! Impressive all the way around. I do have a question if I may? The thread title here says the video was produced in Sonar...yet you claim it was done in Vegas. How much of this was done in Sonar? What exactly was Sonar's role in this other than the music you recorded? Did you actually do any of the video work in Sonar at all?

One little crit if I may? Sorry to even bring this up, but it's a pet peeve of mine that I hear a bit too often with programmed drums. I'd probably adjust the snare fill velocities a bit so you don't have that robotic type sound. Try selecting a snare fill line, and then varying the velocities from 80-127 on that line and listen to the difference. It will kill that dadadada robotic type sound I hear in the snare fills. That's the only thing I can make a mention of. Hope that doesn't upset you, just trying to help. :) I really enjoyed everything here...the song, the mix, the instrument/vocal performances and of course the video. Awesome job!

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:Music Video - Produced with Sonar X1 2011/03/20 11:37:26 (permalink)
    Refreshing! Good to hear a nice voice, beautiful harmonies, and a bare bones production for a change.

Critisism? Nothing you don't already know. I could hear the vocal edits at times and I also agree with Danny that the drums sound a little robotic and could  have used just a little more editing time. I did read your post about X1 and the drums not playing well - and maybe that was part of the problem. 

For my tastes - I quite liked the sound of the acoustic guitar, and as the whole the entire mix (and especially the vocals) were really nice to listen to.

Earlier in this thread, Mike said: "... it's cool to see you having fun with your child. "  I could not agree more! Very cool indeed!

Overall this was a really nice start to my day! I enjoyed it a lot.

Edited for spelling and grammar
    post edited by codamedia - 2011/03/20 11:47:42

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:Music Video - Produced with Sonar X1 2011/03/20 13:26:11 (permalink)
    Agreed nice song, and vocals.  Although there were a couple of places where some timing and pitch adjustments would be nice.

Also agreed on the verb.

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

Edgetone
    Re:Music Video - Produced with Sonar X1 2011/03/20 13:34:23 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the comments and input.

@Danny: I've updated the title to be more accurate. I meant that all the music was done in Sonar X1. The final .Wav file was brought into Vegas as the audio track.

As for the drums, those are some good tips. I tried to quickly find some midi loops to use, then ended up programming them in the Step Sequencer. I did use varying velocities, but of course I then reused the loops. May have missed a few on the hits, but again, it was because we were rushed.

@Matt: Interesting to find out what others hear. You noticed the reverb on the Guitar but not on the vocals. For your taste, would you have had no reverb on the guitar, or just less? Do you think there should be different reverb on the vocals, or just more? I created a separate stereo bus for the verb and routed some guitar and vocals, more of the drums and harmonies, and no bass.

Also, you really felt that some notes were off? This was one of the best, straight up vocals, i have ever recorded. And I'm not just saying that because she's my daughter. Or do you simply listen only to pop? It was probably the only comment that "surprised" me.

@All: I'm surprised that no one commented on the one thing that stood out most to me. The drums slow down in the second verse so obviously as they are tracked to the Audio of the Guitar (which wasn't done to a click track). I figured that the typical radio listener wouldn't pick up on it, but that you critical audiophiles would. Just shows how we all listen differently.

Again, thanks for all the input. I also just noticed that there is a forum for songs. That was probably the more appropriate location.

Jon Woodland
    www.edgetonestudios.com
    Edgetone
    Re:Music Video - Produced with Sonar X1 2011/03/21 10:57:59 (permalink)
    PS: I took some time and figured out why I was having problems with MIDI drums dropping out on a system with 8 cores barely running at 10% utilization each.

There is a setting in the MIDI playback for buffering MIDI. It was set to 250, but someone had posted that it should be 500 at a minimum. Changed that and everything was fine.

Makes a big difference

Jon Woodland
    www.edgetonestudios.com
    MikeTSH
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 491
    Re:Music Video - Produced with Sonar X1 2011/03/24 05:08:58 (permalink)
    Interestingly I don't mind that drums as such - they should be tighter for this without a verb drenched on the kit tho. Place a nice hall/plate send to the snare and hat especially and stick a sample with drumagog or trigger over the snare and get a great tone from eqing a sample. Bass should be bought up at around 70hz to give it some balls to compete but other than that this track's not half bad. Would have liked verb on the vox but each to their own.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1