Cakewalk UA 1G recording input levels

Author
dx052
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2011/03/22 18:51:14 (permalink)

Cakewalk UA 1G recording input levels

Hi everyone, I couldn't find a specific thread that matched my own question so sorry in advance if this has already been covered. Got myself the audio interface to record my vinyl. I am coming out of a  pre amp into RCA inputs/Analogue on the interface. The source volume seems okay however it was going into the red slightly & clipping so I have completely toned it down to stop this problem but the recording volume is fairly low now & I am now having to normalize the music up 0db or just under. Is that going to cause any problems or is this acceptable. The last thing I want is clipping of any kind.  

3 Replies Related Threads

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Cakewalk UA 1G recording input levels 2011/03/23 15:47:21 (permalink)
    You will get your best input levels by adjusting the input knob on the UA-1G while watching the input level meter on your recording software. The input level on the UA-1G Will show a little red sometimes even if the level in the recording software is below clipping levels. To get the highest signal level before clipping you would have to go through an entire song to make sure the signal wasn't too hot. Or record with a lower level to leave room for louder parts.

Personally, I try to record audio between -3db and -6db, which leaves room for the occasional louder transients. The only thing wrong with normalizing is that it boosts noise levels as well as good audio levels. This is why you will get your best results by adjusting the input sensitivity knob to as close to peaking in the recording software as you are comfortable going. Turning up the volume on your preamp is probably a good idea, too. Too low and you may get a too low signal to noise ratio.

What recording software are you using? Are you able to monitor the input levels in your recording software?
    dx052
    Re:Cakewalk UA 1G recording input levels 2011/03/25 14:50:41 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply. I have been doing a few tests with the unit since your last post to see if I was missing something. Its seems from what I can hear, that for some reason, playback is great but anything recorded is not so good. I connected it to my laptop and played a few random MP3s that I had in itunes and it sounded great, I also played a music video that I had and once again it sounded great, however when I try to record anything it doesn't sound great to say the least, has a edgy, aggressive sound which would give you ear fatigue  I tried recording from my TT first, then a Radio tuner, and lastly my mini disc player. I have changed the resolutions, I have used the RCA inputs as well as the Digital in input and I must say I have heard a lot lot better with other basic units. The only input I have not yet used is the 1/4 jack guitar/mic, so can't think of anything else. I have watched levels, stuck now!
    dx052
    Re:Cakewalk UA 1G recording input levels 2011/03/26 15:36:12 (permalink)
    Update: Problem Solved 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1