Audio snap.....audio crap

Author
skullsession
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1765
2011/03/24 08:31:12 (permalink)

Audio snap.....audio crap

Having ignored audio snap for years, and trying it last night for a few hours on a few live drum projects, I'm immediately out of love with it.

I'm not seeing how dragging sections of multi tracked drums back and forth in time doesn't destroy a groove.  Sure, I can nudge sections of the tracks so that kick drums are exactly on 1, but everything in between starts to feel funny to me.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong....?

Watched the tutorial several times...loaded up several old projects where the drummer used a click as a guide, an just couldn't get anything to lay exactly on the downbeats without destroying the underlying feel.

PLUS, as it stretches - even just a little - the info after transient is tweaked in time.  It changes the voice of the drums.

I'd love to hear/see some example - before and after - of some successful projects done by you guys who use it all the time.  I'm not looking for stuff that's been replaced with midi hits.  I'm talking about live drums and cymbals - with a live drummer - that have been fit to a grid with the use of Audio Snap.

I'm also curious as to how much TIME is put into making it right.

Anyone successful with this, and are you game to show it off?

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.

16 Replies Related Threads

Twigman
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3667
    Re:Audio snap.....audio crap 2011/03/24 09:07:51 (permalink)
    Why not leave the drums as they are, extract the groove and quantise everything else to the drums' groove?

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re:Audio snap.....audio crap 2011/03/24 10:29:00 (permalink)
    The problem with audio snapping drums on old projects is that the rest of the instruments will likely have been recorded with the drums as reference.  So moving the drums around is bound to mess up the groove.

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

skullsession
    Re:Audio snap.....audio crap 2011/03/24 10:39:45 (permalink)
    Don't answer my question with a question!  

Look...sure.  You COULD skin the cat that way.  But one of the touted advantages of Audio Snap is supposed to be that you can tweak many tracks - specifically multi tracked drums - transparently, but I'm not finding that to be the case.

I just would like to know/hear professional sounding examples of that. Before and after snapshots, if you will, that hit a grid and have no discernable artifacts.

I'd LOVE to know that I'm doing something wrong.  Because, as good as a drummer may be, there are still moments where a guy might want to change something.

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    skullsession
    Re:Audio snap.....audio crap 2011/03/24 10:41:09 (permalink)
    Karyn

The problem with audio snapping drums on old projects is that the rest of the instruments will likely have been recorded with the drums as reference.  So moving the drums around is bound to mess up the groove.

For the record....

I'm NOT trying to move the drums after things have been tracked over them.  That would be stupid.

I'm talking specifically about the drum tracks, and only the drum tracks.

Twigman
    Re:Audio snap.....audio crap 2011/03/24 11:06:29 (permalink)
    Sorry for answering your question with a question but I believe it makes a lot of sense.

If your drummer has a groove that you lose if you start moving drums around in the timeline then surely using that groove to quantise the other tracks to will maintain that feel.

You can even quantise midi to an extracted groove so even sequenced parts would fall exactly in time with the drums.

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    skullsession
    Re:Audio snap.....audio crap 2011/03/24 11:24:12 (permalink)
    I hear you.....
    post edited by skullsession - 2011/03/24 11:27:35

Twigman
    Re:Audio snap.....audio crap 2011/03/24 11:27:51 (permalink)
    skullsession

Twigman

Sorry for answering your question with a question but I believe it makes a lot of sense.

If your drummer has a groove that you lose if you start moving drums around in the timeline then surely using that groove to quantise the other tracks to will maintain that feel.

You can even quantise midi to an extracted groove so even sequenced parts would fall exactly in time with the drums.

For the record....

I'm NOT trying to move the drums after things have been tracked over them.  That would be stupid.

I'm talking specifically about the drum tracks, and only the drum tracks.

I understand that......why alter their groove though if you like what you hear?

What I'm saying is they don't have to be in perfect time before you start tracking over them as those tracks can be subsequently snapped to the existing drum groove.

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    skullsession
    Re:Audio snap.....audio crap 2011/03/24 11:28:33 (permalink)
    But that's still not my question.

Is there anyone out there with before and after examples of songs that you have used Audio Snap on the drums.

skullsession
    Re:Audio snap.....audio crap 2011/03/24 11:30:40 (permalink)
    I'm looking for successful examples of the tool being used on multi tracked drums.

Sorry for deleting that post on you earlier....I misread your post when I responded...went back to correct and you had already quoted my misguided response!

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Audio snap.....audio crap 2011/03/24 12:14:20 (permalink)
    I don't use Audio snap... I do use quantize on rare occasions in midi tracks.

What I do use is split/split/nudge to move a beat or note that is slightly off.

I have used the quantize function and it will totally destroy the groove. The slight timing things (syncopation, playing slightly ahead or behind the beat) that make a groove in the song can be totally destroyed in this manner. I hit the UNDO and went on with life.

My thought is: if the beat is off far enough to consider using audio snap to get it on the beat, it probably should be recorded again.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Audio snap.....audio crap 2011/03/24 13:27:47 (permalink)
    I haven't used it to tighten up live drums, but I've used it to line other things up to drums and had good results. But I'd put it in the category of being good at taking a pretty good track and tighten up a few parts that were a little off the beat - not necessary easy to take a part with overall bad timing and make it good (although probably possible with tons of work). I would think that would apply to drums, too. And as Herb states, I agree with don't auto-quantize. Manually move any beats/hits that are off too much to be acceptable.

The closest thing I've used it for related to drums/percussion was a couple of weeks ago I did record a song for someone that instead of a snare on the 2 and 4 it had a snaps, claps and cabasa hits. With 2 snap tracks, 5 clap tracks and one cabasa track, the little timing variances were too much. I used AudioSnap to pull them all together and it worked great.

post edited by dlogan - 2011/03/24 13:32:30
    skullsession
    Re:Audio snap.....audio crap 2011/03/24 14:03:05 (permalink)
    I honestly don't see myself using it.  Like I said, I started with solid tracks to begin with.  I wanted to start with something very close just so I could learn to use the tool.  Then, I thought, maybe I could use it on a sloppy drummer.

But the amount of damage it's doing to the feel, even with the very minor tweaks, I just can't even begin to imagine how bad it would be on a bad drummer.

And my gut feeling is that there won't be anyone who would be able to step up and show me Audio Snap working well on multi-tracked drums.

It's ok...not a deal breaker for me.  But Audio Snap has been out a long time now, so I figure it might be a good time to see how the technology has come along.

Drums are like tattoos.  You gotta earn them.

But again...I'd gladly take a tutorial from someone who knew it inside/out.  I'd love to be wrong about it, and I'd love to learn a new trick.

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Audio snap.....audio crap 2011/03/24 14:17:43 (permalink)
    Audiosnap is like V-Vocal in that correct application of the tool is all about knowing what NOT to fix.

You're absolutely correct about groove death by quantization. Any kind of quantization. Anybody who "fixes" a drum track by eye rather than by ear deserves what they get. Or worse, allows any tool to "fix" stuff automatically.

I'll be surprised if anyone answers your challenge. The only genres that would benefit would be groove-less styles such as electronic dance music, but nobody uses real drums for those genres anyway. Not even samples of real drums.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    D.J. ESPO
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re:Audio snap.....audio crap 2011/03/24 17:48:34 (permalink)
    The "real time" algo isn't for time sensitive stuff ( it's just a "preview")

If you use the off-line ones ( and there is a specific one for rythmic material)

It will take allot longer to chug through it but the results should be more time accurate due to a different FFT windowing/buffering.

YMMV

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Audio snap.....audio crap 2011/03/24 20:58:14 (permalink)
    The basic problem is that when you look at a beat, it's impossible to tell if it's in the "right" place or not.  And if a human can't tell, how's a piece of software supposed to do it?

The one area where AudioSnap works great is when you have two tracks that really do need to match up closely, such as vocal harmonies or guitar or vocal double-tracks. Even then, you have to be careful not to line them up too precisely. You can actually introduce nasty metallic artifacts from comb filtering if you get too anal about it. I usually only line up hard consonants between vocal doubles and leave the vowels to interact naturally.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Audio snap.....audio crap 2011/03/24 22:05:03 (permalink)
    I use it just to fix my lazy bass playing or to match my acoustic guitar strokes to the high hat or some other key beat.

I never use it on the drums, I would rather make minor adjustments by ear there. But I do extract the groove many times from the drum track and apply it to other tracks. Also, if I want an unusual effect I will extract the groove to midi and create another whole sound but based around the drums.

Tightening up my sloppy playing, is very helpful, makes me feel better and contributes to the listening health of my audience. Both of them.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1