Why partition?

Author
craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
2011/04/04 12:34:55 (permalink)

Why partition?

After reading some of the other threads I'm just curious.  I know the reasons why we partitioned back in the day, but do any of those reasons still apply or is the only real reason to partition a hard drive to help in organizing the data they contain?  (Spam-bots need not reply!)

I guess one more benefit that I just thought of is to be able to defrag or virus check part of a large hard drive easier, but that doesn't really seem like enough of a reason to partition.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!

12 Replies Related Threads

codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:Why partition? 2011/04/04 12:53:44 (permalink)
    The only drive I partition is the primary drive with my OS on it.

Drive C: This holds the OS, Program Files and settings.
    Drive D: This holds "My Documents, Pictures, etc...". (not Sonar audio)

Any additional drives installed stays full size. This is where I might have an Audio Drive, Video Drive, Sample Drive, etc....

The only reason I partition my primary drive is to keep the OS and Programs separated from the documents as much as possible. Should my OS installation go south and restores not work - I can format C and re-install without worrying about my data (although I still keep backups of everything).

I'm interested in hearing others opinions on this.

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:Why partition? 2011/04/04 13:21:12 (permalink)
    really no point to partitioning at all made sense yrs ago not now.
    i am also assuming a good back up plan.

the 2nd partion is slower than the first.

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Why partition? 2011/04/04 13:31:38 (permalink)
    With the old hardware and software that would only take up to a certain size hard drive, partitioning was needed if a larger drive was used.  With old, slow, hardware partitioning allowed for faster disc defrag (a 40 MB hard drive could take 3 or 4 hours to defrag).

With modern, high speed, computers this isn't needed.  Some do it to separate what they have on what drive but the OS could care less - it just knows to get the data or write the data to the designated hard drive.  It can potentially be good to have the OS and applications software on one drive and data on another but even that is only marginally useful.  Best thing is to do regular backups of user data.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Kylotan
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 995
    Re:Why partition? 2011/04/04 20:03:01 (permalink)
    There are a couple of minor reasons to partition:

- smaller drives mean smaller cluster sizes, which means less wasted space. A disk is divided up into fixed-size clusters and this size is roughly proportional to the size of the drive. A cluster can only be used for 1 file, no matter how small that file is. So if you have a lot of small files, you waste a lot of space on bigger drives.

- separate partitions can mean shallower directory structures, and searching through deep directory structures can be slow when performing a lot of separate file open operations. This is a problem you can solve with a sensible directory structure though.

Are either of these relevant for digital audio applications? No. Apart from generic file organisation benefits, the best reason for a Sonar user to partition his or her drive is if there is a plan to expand to separate physical drives later. When the new drive is added the data can be copied to the new disk and the drive letters changed to match.

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Why partition? 2011/04/04 23:09:04 (permalink)
    Back when disk drives were shared among users, we partitioned them for security reasons. Then we partitioned them because the drives were getting too big for the file systems.

Not much reason to do it these days, certainly not for a DAW, where larger partitions mean fewer seeks and faster disk performance.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    craigb
    Re:Why partition? 2011/04/04 23:41:53 (permalink)
    Excellent.  Thanks for the replies.  Most are what I thought, but wasn't sure.

FWIW, I've never liked that some of your personal settings are hidden from most people in the Documents and Settings path (i.e., above "My Documents"), and I also get annoyed with Windows (at least up to XP Pro) always wanting you to put your data along this path.  I'd rather have ALL non-system files on another drive.  I wonder if I can redefine the usual paths in Windows 7?  In other words, put My Documents, My Pictures, etc. somewhere other than where Windows wants them (I currently have a shortcut to my "real" location that stays in each of the standard folders, but that's just yet another work-around).

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Why partition? 2011/04/05 03:09:12 (permalink)
    My reason to partition was that I use Pinnacle Video-software, and it could not co-exist on the same HDD with SONAR 6 PE (stated support:"Unsolvable conflict" ). So I have a partitioned system+software HDD with "Video side" and "Audio side" but a common internal HDD for files ("Audio" and "Video" as  main folders), and then again separate external backup HDDs for video and audio.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Why partition? 2011/04/05 12:26:05 (permalink)
    I partition areas to seperate stowage areas and active live areas of the drives always keeping the first partition for the hard work and subsequent ones for less frequently accessed files.

Kylotan's reason here is a good one too when you want to expand a partition out onto a new drive it makes things easier.  Maintaining, backing up / imaging smaller partitions on terrabyte sized drives is more manageble.

Provided you keep the first partition of each drive for any 'mission critical' files partitions can still aid organisation.

One more thing it can help to keep your windows swap file contigious if it ends up being scattered all over the partition. 

Just set the swap file to another partition other than your system one temporarily. Reboot.  Defrag your main partition then set the swap file back to the main partition reboot again.  Job done as it will create a new contigious file in the newly defragmented space.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2011/04/05 12:39:11

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re:Why partition? 2011/04/05 19:53:56 (permalink)
    Jonbouy

...always keeping the first partition for the hard work and subsequent ones for less frequently accessed files... Provided you keep the first partition of each drive for any 'mission critical' files partitions can still aid organisation.
    I keep my current projects in the first 64GB partition of a 1.5TB harddrive.  I don't need to devote an entire 1.5TB drive to current projects.  Nor do I wish to mix these important (to me) files with other stuff.  The remainder of the drive is used to store old projects, archives, audio clips, mixes, reference material, images, videos, backups and probably a lot of stuff that I have forgotten about.  As more and more of this stuff gets added, in time the drive will gradually fill up without affecting speed of access to project files.

When projects are being loaded or saved, nothing in the rest of the drive is likely to be accessed at the same time.  Otherwise that would be counterproductive.  This is the main factor to consider when planning a partitioning strategy.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    wogg
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1819
    Re:Why partition? 2011/04/06 15:51:26 (permalink)
    craigb

FWIW, I've never liked that some of your personal settings are hidden from most people in the Documents and Settings path (i.e., above "My Documents"), and I also get annoyed with Windows (at least up to XP Pro) always wanting you to put your data along this path.  I'd rather have ALL non-system files on another drive.  I wonder if I can redefine the usual paths in Windows 7?  In other words, put My Documents, My Pictures, etc. somewhere other than where Windows wants them (I currently have a shortcut to my "real" location that stays in each of the standard folders, but that's just yet another work-around).

In Windows 7 hit your name from the start menu.  That should pull up your directory with the usual "Documents", "Music", and other folders.  Right click on them and hit properties.  There's a location tab there that will allow you to redirect them to another path just like you could with XP.  After doing that you will see the item duplicated in the folder, one will be the old default location and the other will be the new path you specified.  At that point you can safely delete the one that points to the default "users" path.

That has the added bonus of allowing older programs unaware of Windows 7 libraries to default to your updated "My Documents" directory path.

Homepage:
    The World of Wogg

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Why partition? 2011/04/06 21:38:13 (permalink)
    I don't partition. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    craigb
    Re:Why partition? 2011/04/07 00:36:45 (permalink)
    wogg

craigb

In Windows 7 hit your name from the start menu.  That should pull up your directory with the usual "Documents", "Music", and other folders.  Right click on them and hit properties.  There's a location tab there that will allow you to redirect them to another path just like you could with XP.  After doing that you will see the item duplicated in the folder, one will be the old default location and the other will be the new path you specified.  At that point you can safely delete the one that points to the default "users" path.

That has the added bonus of allowing older programs unaware of Windows 7 libraries to default to your updated "My Documents" directory path.

Guess it's time to upgrade to Windows 7!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1