"New" - Strangely enough, a new song - with Emilie Weiss!

Author
SnyderTrigger
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 177
2011/04/10 16:42:33 (permalink)

"New" - Strangely enough, a new song - with Emilie Weiss!

Hey guys,

So it's been a while since I posted in here, but I have a new song that I've been working really hard on. I learn so much every time I do this- it's amazing! Let me know what you think! All the glory goes to Jesus Christ!
http://www.reverbnation.com/nickmarsella

Thanks for listening!

post edited by SnyderTrigger - 2011/04/10 22:38:34

"Sing a new song to the Lord, for he has done wonderful deeds. His right hand has won a mighty victory; his holy arm has shown his saving power!" - Psalm 98:1

My music: Nick Marsella @ Reverbnation

19 Replies Related Threads

Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:"New" - Strangely enough, a new song - with Emilie Weiss! 2011/04/10 20:15:08 (permalink)
    The link doesn't work, so you might want to change that.  (It goes back to CW forums)  Fortunately, the link in your signature works. :) 

This is nice.  You guys sound good together.  I'm not sure what I think about the opening synth.  But I'm just an old geezer, so it's probably quite cool. :)  Emilie does great harmony.  It seems a little odd having her come in at the end or middle of phrases.  I wouldn't mind hearing her more throughout the song. 

But it's well put-together...great lyrics and singable. 
    jamesday
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re:"New" - Strangely enough, a new song - with Emilie Weiss! 2011/04/10 21:35:43 (permalink)
    hey nick. new here and i can't offer the experienced help you were looking for, but i just wanted to chime in and say how much i liked the song. ALOT. great lyrics. not a wasted word. i especially liked the pre-chorus. E's voice seems the perfect compliment in the arrangement. thanks for sharing and soon...Behold, i make all things new.
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"New" - Strangely enough, a new song - with Emilie Weiss! 2011/04/10 22:42:01 (permalink)
    Janet - Totally. It's frustrating me. I thought I had it working, but I guess not. I changed it, and it seems to be working now. Wonder why it's doing that...

But thank you! Yeah - we only recorded for like an hour or two, and it was kinda like an off-the-cuff thing. She came over, and after showing her the song, she offered to sing, so we did it real fast. (Not enough time to learn any real parts, but we put something together).

jamesday - Dude, your name sounds really familiar! But thank you for the kind words - they mean a lot. And yes! He makes all things new! Praise Him! 

"Sing a new song to the Lord, for he has done wonderful deeds. His right hand has won a mighty victory; his holy arm has shown his saving power!" - Psalm 98:1

mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:"New" - Strangely enough, a new song - with Emilie Weiss! 2011/04/11 04:08:51 (permalink)
    i like this a lot. it sounds very pro, the kinda thing Matt Redman would put out. Acoustic sounds muh better than i seem to recall from your earlier posts. exellent mix in general, the electronic sounds fit in well, as do the backing vox.
    only thing i would change is the snare, sounds too limp and boxy, needs more body for mine...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"New" - Strangely enough, a new song - with Emilie Weiss! 2011/04/12 01:30:16 (permalink)
    Sweet! Thanks, mgh! That's interesting you mention the snare drum. My friend said that as well. 

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:"New" - Strangely enough, a new song - with Emilie Weiss! 2011/04/12 07:27:57 (permalink)
    Nick.... good tune. I think it nailed the genre quite well.

My comments>
    ditto on the snare
    I'd add a bit of highs to your voice... not too much just enough to get you our from under the blanket.

I like the reverse guitar (?) at the beginning and the end. really cool.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    kev11111111111111
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1772
    Re:"New" - Strangely enough, a new song - with Emilie Weiss! 2011/04/12 07:57:15 (permalink)
    Love it !
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:"New" - Strangely enough, a new song - with Emilie Weiss! 2011/04/12 08:56:13 (permalink)
    Absolutely beautiful. 

Keep it up and bring us more.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:"New" - Strangely enough, a new song - with Emilie Weiss! 2011/04/12 11:41:25 (permalink)
    Hi Nick, this is very good, you're one talented young dude. Great idea to use that backwards guitar. Singing,playing and production sound really pro to me. Good job.

Greetings, Rik
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:"New" - Strangely enough, a new song - with Emilie Weiss! 2011/04/12 14:17:53 (permalink)
    great job all the way round...I agree w/Rik the BW guitar was a nice touch...

Has that Jars of Clay feel....which if you like that kinda stuff you nailed it...this will be more a crit on that "Jars" sound in that it has a kinda a whiny feel...which has run its course (in my head)...again bro..I love the tune and its a A+ all the way round....just every church I attend most of the worship tunes have that whiny-needy feel...man I'd like to hear a bit more "Happy to be alive type"..lol.....but sorry to say but that needy-feel grinds on me now...I worked lots of larger Christian rock shows in the Richmond Va area quite a few years ago (Mercy Me, Jars, etc) so maybe thats why I've had my fill although the show I did wiff POD kinda had a different twist!!..lol........

sorry for interjecting a rant on your thread and on a great tune over all....

Good work!!
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"New" - Strangely enough, a new song - with Emilie Weiss! 2011/04/13 00:25:38 (permalink)
    Wow! Thanks everybody! This is all really encouraging. The reverse guitar is actually my acoustic guitar - same with all of the distorted lead stuff. All acoustic guitar.

Guitarhacker - Thanks, man! And yeah, the snare is definitely something that could be fixed, but I played with increasing the highs a bit, but I found that it brought out certain parts more than others, and I didn't really like that - it almost made it sound "less full".  

kev - thanks, man!

No How - Thanks! That means a lot! I definitely will.

morenoise - Man...thank you! God's good! :)

the pogue - Totally understand where you're coming from. I grew up (am growing up? haha) listening to Dashboard Confessional, Secondhand Serenade, Relient K, Switchfoot, Hawk Nelson, etc. Even though I've definitely switched preference in music (now I listen to coffeeshop acoustic/indie stuff), that sound will make it's way out somehow. 

But I definitely think, in the Christian music genre, the music might be reflecting the state of the U.S. culture/people. I mean, in these times, we need God. A lot of people have no more of themselves to hang on to, so they look up and, as a last resort, finally see the massive hand God is offering them. The music has definitely taken on a kind of lament aspect to it (and a lot of it has turned into ministry work, too, acting like encouragement to the broken). 

Interesting stuff.

Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:"New" - Strangely enough, a new song - with Emilie Weiss! 2011/04/13 07:12:51 (permalink)
    I agree with the snare comment, but otherwise an excellent job!

String Jammer
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"New" - Strangely enough, a new song - with Emilie Weiss! 2011/04/13 15:32:36 (permalink)
    Thanks, Scotty! 

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:"New" - Strangely enough, a new song - with Emilie Weiss! 2011/04/13 15:39:16 (permalink)
    Nice feel.

Voices blend well.

Bass guitar is a bit boomy and a tad too loud (IMO).

Overall a very good job on the composition and mixing.

octoberroad
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re:"New" - Strangely enough, a new song - with Emilie Weiss! 2011/04/13 16:06:44 (permalink)
    Wow. Great song and so well put together. You are very talented. I love the harmonies and structure. I am sure He is very pleased with the joyful noise you are raising in His name. Great job. The backward guitar is a really cool effect.

~Jeff
    October Road

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.  ~A. Monet

Music speaks what cannot be expressed, soothes the mind and gives it rest, heals the heart and makes it whole, flows from heaven to the soul.
    CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:"New" - Strangely enough, a new song - with Emilie Weiss! 2011/04/13 22:01:08 (permalink)
    Nick this is just fantastic - just beautiful.

God bless you my friend.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"New" - Strangely enough, a new song - with Emilie Weiss! 2011/04/13 23:29:57 (permalink)
    bapu - Thanks, man! Yeah, I still need to learn how to EQ/mix the bass properly.

octoberroad - Thank you so much! And totally! I pray my music would bless His heart. There's no greater purpose for music than giving glory to God. 

CLEAN - That means a lot, man! Thank you so much. 

vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:"New" - Strangely enough, a new song - with Emilie Weiss! 2011/04/14 10:26:44 (permalink)
    Great job on everything!  A bit of Jars of Clays.  Really love the song.

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"New" - Strangely enough, a new song - with Emilie Weiss! 2011/04/14 21:12:12 (permalink)
    Thanks, vechung! 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1