Multi-Track Output/Recording

Author
RowingMunkeyCU
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2011/04/13 13:43:26 (permalink)

Multi-Track Output/Recording

Hey guys, I'm trying to do some research before I go out and start buying all sorts of equipment/software and was hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Here's the basic idea of what I'm trying to accomplish:
I want to capture the audio output from one computer (Comp 1) on another (Comp 2). Comp 1 will have multiple programs outputting sound simultaneously. Comp 2 needs to capture/record the sound from each program on a separate track to be mixed at a later time. Comp 2 will also be capturing the video output from Comp 1. Both computers will be running Windows 7 Ultimate, connecting the two by HDMI (Video Card w/HDMI Audio Out on Comp 1, Capture Card on Comp 2).

So my question is this:
Does HDMI support the output of multi-track audio? If so, does Windows 7 automatically output sound from multiple programs in multiple tracks, or would I need a separate program to handle it?

Thanks in advance! :-)

4 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Multi-Track Output/Recording 2011/04/13 16:12:35 (permalink)
    why do you want to do this?  why not just transfer wave files from one computer to the other using intranet, USB, a portable hard drive, a CD/DVD or even a USB thumb drive?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    RowingMunkeyCU
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Multi-Track Output/Recording 2011/04/13 16:20:28 (permalink)
    Sorry, I guess I didn't quite make my goal clear.

It's not actual wave, or other audio files... but live audio/video. I'm trying to get a setup together whereby I can record online gaming tournaments from multiple points of view, along with multiple voice communications. The multi-track capability is necessary to allow for later editing and commentary for rebroadcast.
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Multi-Track Output/Recording 2011/04/13 16:26:00 (permalink)
    Does HDMI support the output of multi-track audio? If so, does Windows 7 automatically output sound from multiple programs in multiple tracks, or would I need a separate program to handle it?

HDMI can support multichannel audio, but it all depends on the hardware as to how windows handles it. 

If you're trying to send audio and video out of the video card's HDMI output, then you're limited by the audio capabilities of the video card.  What hardware are you running?

If you really need separation of the multiple programs, I suspect that you'll need to run multichannel audio out of comp 1 and into comp 2 through multichannel audio interfaces. 

It might also help if you outlined exactly what you're doing and with what programs.
    guitkid7
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:Multi-Track Output/Recording 2011/04/13 17:25:14 (permalink)
    I would investigate software that captures video being broadcast to your screen instead of patching two computers together.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1