Newb Question- How to use .wav samples in songs

Author
tbosco
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 903
2011/04/13 15:27:29 (permalink)

Newb Question- How to use .wav samples in songs

Hi all.  Not sure if I'm in the right place, but could someone point me to a site or thread concerning just how to use .wav files in song or beat production?  I'm brand new (and an old fart at 56) at utilizing this method of recording, but find it facinating.  I have Sonar X1 Producer, Win 7 32-bit,, A Motif XF7, and Komplete 7.  I suppose I am to load load the waves into Komplete (or the Motif), but most of the waves are short.... so how do I get a whole song out of them?  I imagine I am to string the samples together.  But then comes a key change-  Do I need to transpose a wave (loop?) when I go to another key if there isn't a wave in the appropriate key?  If I do, won't the drum sounds get weird?  etc...
Sorry for the dumb questions.  Cheers!

Tony

7 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Newb Question- How to use .wav samples in songs 2011/04/13 16:51:30 (permalink)
    The simplest and most straightforward use of samples (wave files) is to simply import them into a track, then copy and paste as many copies as you need. I do this for one-shot types of effects like reverse cymbals.

Next step up is to link the samples to a sample player. SONAR comes with a simple but surprisingly powerful sample player called Cyclone. It has 16 slots, each of which may be assigned to a different wave file. You then map each of these samples to a keyboard note or range of notes and thus create your own custom instrument. You can do beat creation and looping with it.

Next step up is to do the same thing with a full-featured sampler such as Kontakt, which is included in the Komplete package. That's a whole lot more involved but the possibilities are almost endless.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Newb Question- How to use .wav samples in songs 2011/04/13 18:05:44 (permalink)
    Tony,

those samples provide the sound for the synth, if I'm reading you right.  You load them into Kontakt and they provide the " ocillator" tone in the Sample and Synthesis engine.  If you did analog synthesis it is like choosing the waveform, except being samples they can be snippets of acoustic instruments (or horribly mangled sounds, my favorite).  The motif works that way but has ROM samples built-in, too.

You can also drag them into a timeline track, turn them into groove clips and roll them out.  If they are pitched sounds you can insert chord changes so it follows your project - timing too.

@
    post edited by AT - 2011/04/13 18:07:28

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Newb Question- How to use .wav samples in songs 2011/04/13 22:26:06 (permalink)
    Now.... since you said you are brand new AND an old fart all in the same sentence....I'm gonna back up a bit and see if I can simplify it for you..... one old fart to another.

You mentioned you have Komplete 7 (K7) .... so... you probably have all you need right now to get started.

I use Kontakt 4 a lot and I use it's factory samples. For example, the strings and brass, and pianos.  I load K4 and then simply select the appropriate sample.... perhaps the cello section strings. K4 automatically loads the samples (all of them) into it's memory (actually the computer memory) and then when I play the notes on my midi keyboard, K4 selects the proper wave file (notes) to play and waaa laaa, I hear a cello section.  It plays what I play on the keyboard.

I know you can load individual samples and that's what those guys were talking about ( i think) but in all my years in music production, I have yet to create or load my own samples..... I use the sample libraries for the synth I am using.

Same deal applies to Battery and the drums..... or any other synth/sampler.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    tbosco
    Re:Newb Question- How to use .wav samples in songs 2011/04/13 22:36:19 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tips guys.  I bought a HUGE library of .wav files.... some are "one-shots" and some are complete combos or phrases (like drums, bass, synth, guitar etc.)  The combo ones obviously have pitch and timing info in them, but they are not MIDI files.
    I think I understand about using the more simple sound wavs such a single guitar note,  a sax sound, or a sawtooth wave as a sound generator like in Kontakt.  It's how to assemble the ones I call "loop samples" (the combos) into something musical is where I'm getting stuck.  If only one "phrase" is provided, and it has drums, bass, and piano, and it was sampled at 120 BPM in the key of A, how do I use it when the song changes to the key of D (as in a I-IV-V song)?  Do I have to use it in Kontakt (for example) or can't I insert it into Sonar?

Tony
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Newb Question- How to use .wav samples in songs 2011/04/13 22:39:46 (permalink)
    you can also turn these files into groove clips and grab the end of the loop and drag it for as mant beats,measures,life times you want..the smart tool is a great feature with many uses..also grab the top to create fades..bit flippers idea about cyclone is awesome though

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Newb Question- How to use .wav samples in songs 2011/04/13 23:49:07 (permalink)
    Tony,

if they are acid files (which it sounds like) they are already goove clips.  The loops should follow temp changes you insert - you'll have to read the manual for that.  They will also follow chord changes.  When you get one you like, you can roll it out instead of copying to the timeline.  Drag it in, click on it and drag it to the right.  The phases will "roll out"  as many as you want.

You can go in and manually change each acid/groove clip - just click on it in the timeline.  Raise it up an octave, slow it up to half time, etc.  and then save it as another file in your project.

Many loop libraries have kits - with similiar styled loops grouped together.  Sony's CDs even have songs put together to show off what can be done.  Once you get a loop you like, you can drop in a bass drum, or more snare hits, etc. etc. to make the phrase more unique.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    tbosco
    Re:Newb Question- How to use .wav samples in songs 2011/04/14 07:13:52 (permalink)
    OK.... off to trial I go!  Thanks guys!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1