How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2014/09/22 17:55:21 (permalink)
I decided to give it a try.

ARRT = Attack Release Ratio Threshold

Compressor null test 1 2 3

Idk if I'm going to do much of this in my real mixing life, but ... it was an interesting experiment.
post edited by gswitz - 2014/09/22 21:27:20

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2014/09/22 21:34:47 (permalink)
Ok. I've spent a lot of time tonight playing with this idea.
I made three videos.

Basically, if I were to use this at all, I would not invert the audio where I'm listening to the audio being removed. That's just weird and not very useful imho. It's not like a De-Esser where you want to hear the sibilance being trimmed. It's a compressor.

I might however use it to accent the compression so I could dial in the settings.

Let's say I get my compressor where I think it sounds good and it's dipping down at worst to -7dB. So I introduce the phase flipped track 14dB below that level and now, I can clearly hear what the compression is doing by making the track 'shallower' if you will. By making the track shallow, I accentuate the actions of the compressor and I can then maybe tweak the attack-release-ratio-threshold to dial it in just so.

But inverting the tracks so that the compressed track is the softer of the two tracks. I'm not sure that gives you anything valuable.

And dialing the gain so that the two tracks are close is even more useless because then you aren't even sure which track is louder. You get all kinds of garbage noise, but you don't know what it means at all.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
TremoJem
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 479
Re: How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2015/03/11 06:55:45 (permalink)
Would someone please help out the members here that are not as savvy as you.

I kinda understand Jeff's approach and may be able to create the test properly to get some useful information, that would GREATLY help...come let's be honest, change my entire approach to compressors, is closer to reality, with regards to my knowledge of them. I am basically just adjusting parameters based on forum posts, videos, etc. and hoping for the best.

I want to KNOW what the hell I am doing...why I am doing it, and when I should or should not be doing it.

GSwitz, please, if possible, post a test you approve of that us not so savvy members can perform.

I can't wait to watch the videos...sorry no time now.

In closing, I meant no disrespect here, just trying to emphasis how cool I think this thread is and how useful it could really be to a not so seasoned Sonar user.

Thanks all...

Purrrfect Audio LLC Pro Studio, Sonar X3e PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - Dell Inspiron 1760, Sonar 7 PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - iZotope Ozone 5 & Alloy 2 - MOTU Audio Express & 2 MOTU 8Pre - Glyph & Lacie External HDs - Roland A-800Pro - Mackie MR5mkIII - Shure - AKG - Sennheiser

Most importantly...not enough time.

www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1