Beltane - May Day

Author
malcolmb
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 713
2011/04/14 09:54:08 (permalink)

Beltane - May Day

The next in the series of pieces I am writing for my Druid friends. 1st of May is the Celtic festival of Beltane. Tends to be what you might call a bit of a 'frisky' festival with much dancing, jumping over bonfires and couples disappearing into the bushes (I of course have no idea why!).

http://youtu.be/DnhEeis6_HE

As always, written totally by notation in Staff View using Soft Synths. Hope you enjoy.

Best Regards
Malcolm

HS 7 XL
XP Prof.
4 GB memory
GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic

7 Replies Related Threads

morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Beltane - May Day 2011/04/14 10:59:30 (permalink)
    Hi Malcolm, really nice Celtic vibe and the percussion keeps it from sounding to twee, I personally could do without the snare drum, sounds a bit machine-like to me. Beltane sounds like a fun festival, you certainly make it sound like fun, looking at interesting shrubbery and all that...

Greetings, Rik
    vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:Beltane - May Day 2011/04/14 11:18:46 (permalink)
    Very nice!  Lovely melody and beat.  Nice choice of instruments and arrangement.

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Beltane - May Day 2011/04/14 13:30:53 (permalink)
    I agree with all thats been said, but it sounds a little ridged a little to on the beat. 

From my recollection of these type of celebrations the cerebral lubricant flows freely which tends to lead to some fluidity in timing from the musicians and forget fullness in the participants.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    malcolmb
    Re:Beltane - May Day 2011/04/14 14:46:16 (permalink)
    Hi Rik - Very many thanks. I do agree about the snare drum. The curse of soft snyths! As for Beltane being a fun festival, I also agree and thank you for clearing up in my mind about the shrubbery. It is so good to realise that so many young people have such a keen interest in natural history!

Hi Vicente - Sincere thanks and so pleased you like the arrangement - Celtic music can be a bit repetitive without lyrics so I tried to add variety through the instrumentation. I do particularly love the tuba!

Hi Wookie - Very many thanks and I do agree about the beat - I suppose that is the curse of writing music using notation in Staff View. I do often use tempo variation to try and give a real feeling but didn't in this piece. My error. As for the "cerebral lubricant", you are right. Mead and Real Ale  definitely flow freely at the festival - they have even made me believe that I can sing. Shudder!

Best Regards
    Malcolm

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory

whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:Beltane - May Day 2011/04/14 17:27:12 (permalink)
    Nice Celtic vibe of this malcomb, kudos. Youve got the sequences and the right choice of instruments etc. The rhythm is great, I do think the snare drum does sound a litte mechanical and programmed,maybe adjust the timing and velocity slightly.

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Beltane - May Day 2011/04/14 20:05:28 (permalink)
    Ooh, do we get Britt Ekland included? Your most overtly Celtic (almost Oirish) tune yet, and very jolly too. I'd replace the snare with handclaps. i like the upbeat happy tune and percussion, which fits the festival, though my own ear would like a hint of melancholy somewhere (being a pessimistic old sod!)

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    malcolmb
    Re:Beltane - May Day 2011/04/15 04:20:02 (permalink)
    Hi Cian - Sincere thanks and most grateful for the help. I shall probably leave the video as it is and use your and others help to get the MP3 right before I unleash it on my Druid friends. Although how many of them will be sufficiently awake at four in the morning as they gather to watch the Sun rise to appreciate it is another matter! If only I could get the Sun to rise at a civilised hour!

Hi Mark - Sincere thanks. Nothing wrong with we pessimistic old sods! Especially when we can still remember Brit Ekland - I just hope my eye-sight is still good enough to find her in the shrubbery! I like the idea of the hand claps and a touch of melancholy and will give them a try.

Best Regards
    Malcolm

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1