Ambient BG noise

Author
SeveredVesper
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
2011/04/14 14:53:31 (permalink)

Ambient BG noise

There a some songs with some very sparse but thick type of ambience, like an atmosphere of such that gives gloom and fills mix, but not enough for it to be overpowering and really just barely audible. Is there really such a technique like this? Or am i just imagining this?

If this is true, what kinds of synths are good for this?

Check out my band's song on YouTube!

10 Replies Related Threads

digi2ns
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2694
    Re:Ambient BG noise 2011/04/14 16:15:17 (permalink)
    Can I ask where is most of your bleed coming from?  Ariels on drum kits or VOX mics? 
    I have been working on live mixes and am still learning/experimentinf with a good idea on this.  My thoughts were to use audio snap on the individual tracks where it is a huge prob them split the notes into individual clips and use a compressor and gate to knock it out, but this is still experimenting for me.

MIKE

--Dell Studio XPS I7/870 2.93 Ghz, 8GB Mem, 2-2TB Barracuda HDs, 500 GB Ext.HDD, Win7/64
    --X1 64 Pro Expanded, Dual 21" Monitors 
    --PCR500  
    --MAUDIO FastTrack Ultra
    --Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO
    --Line6 X3 Live
    --Gibson, Fender, Takamine, Schecter, Washburn
    http://pogopoppa.wix.com/5thgear#
     http://soundcloud.com/digi2ns  

dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Ambient BG noise 2011/04/14 16:35:50 (permalink)
    Sure! I've used some of the DimPro synth pads in the background to help fill out the sound... one of those things where you barely hear it, but you notice if it's gone. I guess the "technique" is just to find a synth pad that fits the sound and I've just played the chord progression (nothing fancy, just moving with the chord changes) then start with it really low in the mix and bring it up until you hear it, then maybe back off a bit (kind of like reverb).

skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:Ambient BG noise 2011/04/14 16:51:20 (permalink)
    digi2ns

Can I ask where is most of your bleed coming from?  Ariels on drum kits or VOX mics? 
    I have been working on live mixes and am still learning/experimentinf with a good idea on this.  My thoughts were to use audio snap on the individual tracks where it is a huge prob them split the notes into individual clips and use a compressor and gate to knock it out, but this is still experimenting for me.

There's no way you read the OP's post.

I'm the forum police.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Ambient BG noise 2011/04/14 17:07:44 (permalink)
    skullsession

I'm the forum police.

Well he did cover that in his signature....

"Let me apologize now for any typos or forgetting where I was when typing in a post. I stay LOST "
    digi2ns
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2694
    Re:Ambient BG noise 2011/04/14 20:59:13 (permalink)
    skullsession

digi2ns

I'm the forum police.

No,  I read it. I just misinterpreted it do to my lack of knowledge. I thought he was talking about Acoustic Track and mic bleed from background noise.  My bad.

Thanks for getting me straightened out though.  I appreciate it!!! 

MIKE

--Dell Studio XPS I7/870 2.93 Ghz, 8GB Mem, 2-2TB Barracuda HDs, 500 GB Ext.HDD, Win7/64
    --X1 64 Pro Expanded, Dual 21" Monitors 
    --PCR500  
    --MAUDIO FastTrack Ultra
    --Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO
    --Line6 X3 Live
    --Gibson, Fender, Takamine, Schecter, Washburn
    http://pogopoppa.wix.com/5thgear#
     http://soundcloud.com/digi2ns  

skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:Ambient BG noise 2011/04/14 22:38:45 (permalink)
    Ha...I'm just messin' with you Mike.  The title of the thread lead me to believe it was going to be about the same thing you thought it was about.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    I/O
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re:Ambient BG noise 2011/04/15 07:48:21 (permalink)
    Haha.  I thought the same thing.  I usually don't refer to things I want in my music as noise :)

Dim Pro has some amazing sounds that would work as ambient background fill.
    NW Smith
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 565
    Re:Ambient BG noise 2011/04/15 09:16:03 (permalink)
    As the others have mentioned - using synth pads would be the best way to get your atmospheric sound.  There are a lot of interesting VST synths out there  - I really like some of the sounds from Dimension Pro - There are also  many freebies (such as Protoplasm).   (check out KVRaudio.com and do a search there)

Sometimes you can have fun layering different sounds to create something new and unique.  Adding effects and playing with levels (as Dave mentioned) and playing around with panning (including pan envelopes) can help you create the atmosphere you're looking for.

My Website:
    http://www.marwoodwilliams.com
    My Music on Bandcamp:
    http://marwoodwilliams.bandcamp.com

Equipment: Intel Core i3, 3.2 GHz, Sonar Platinum, Ramsa WR-S4416 Mixer,  Focusrite  Scarlett 18i6
    SeveredVesper
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re:Ambient BG noise 2011/04/15 13:39:10 (permalink)
    Thanks guys, i'm gonna look into those synths. Is it best for it to remain monotone through out? Or should it follow the note progression? Opinions about this?

Coheed and Cambria's Year of The Black Rainbow had such ambient atmospheres, it really thickens and darkens the sound, which i like!

Check out my band's song on YouTube!

arlen2133
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 601
    Re:Ambient BG noise 2011/04/16 00:23:31 (permalink)
    SeveredVesper,
    I've used many an ambient patch both in monotone and following a note progression.  Sometimes, if you leave it monotone, you might get a "pulsing" effect out of it (especially if its looping).  Depending on the type of song, this may be a good thing.  I've had fun allowing the patch to "follow" the progression, which kind of makes it more a part of the song.  Experiment both ways with it. 

Arlen
    aka
    Mr Grant
    my music

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum (2017.09) & X3e , Windows 7 64 bit, Intel I5 3.4 Ghz, 32 Gbs RAM, Saffire Pro40, various pres and VSTi's.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1