I downloaded Internet Explorer 9 yesterday and rolled back to 8 today. EDIT... back to 9

Author
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
2011/04/15 17:34:56 (permalink)

I downloaded Internet Explorer 9 yesterday and rolled back to 8 today. EDIT... back to 9

9 has a weird layout with the home, favorites, and tools button at the upper right of the screen. Favorites opens on the right side unless you use the menu bar, then it still opens completely different. I am sure I could have gotten used to it but I like 8 better and it works fine with W764.

Also, when I installed IE 9 it turned off Cleartype and even though I figured out what was wrong and trned it back on it still did not look as good as IE 8, somehow I could not bet the letters to show up as dark or readable.

There is also an annoying bar that keeps popping up along the bottom of the screen asking me about "add ons". I don't want any add ons and it does not tell how to turn it off, you can tell it to ask later.

I sent MS a message telling them what I think of it. They must just move things around and call it improvement to justify their job.

Use it if you like. I may try it again but not soon... I think it is (shhh buggy).

Julien
post edited by jbow - 2011/04/24 20:19:41

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!

6 Replies Related Threads

haydn12
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:I downloaded Internet Explorer 9 yesterday and rolled back to 8 today 2011/04/15 22:04:50 (permalink)
    I've been using it the last couple weeks.  Now that I'm used to the new cleaner layout, I hate having to use IE8 on my work laptop.  It is much faster than IE8 loading pages which was worth the upgrade. 

Other browsers such as Google Chrome 19 also have their favorites on the right side.  I've been using Chrome to play Tiger Woods golf online as it will play full screen with that browser.  I compared the speeds between IE9 and Chrome and IE9 was better on every webpage I tried.  So IE9 is my default browser now.

Jim
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:I downloaded Internet Explorer 9 yesterday and rolled back to 8 today 2011/04/16 00:24:42 (permalink)
    just got FF4 installed yesterday. i like it. the home button has also moved to the right of the toolbar, interestingly. also have IE9 and Chrome but FF is just faster than either of those. IE9 is a much better effort though...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:I downloaded Internet Explorer 9 yesterday and rolled back to 8 today 2011/04/16 06:44:06 (permalink)
    I.E.9 is an improvement over I.E.8 and earlier I.E. browsers. I.E.9 supports new/latest HTML standards.  The layout is similar to Chrome and most other "new version" browsers.  It's not just a "move items around to show up differently".

I.E.9 was just recently released but Microsoft is showing off beta versions of I.E.10 already.  One thing, I.E.9 will nor run on XP systems, I.E.10 will not run on Vista systems.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:I downloaded Internet Explorer 9 yesterday and rolled back to 8 today 2011/04/16 17:45:27 (permalink)
    I sent MS a message telling them what I think of it.

Let us know how they respond to your thoughtful suggestions.
    jbow
    Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7601
    Re:I downloaded Internet Explorer 9 yesterday and rolled back to 8 today... 2011/04/24 20:18:10 (permalink)
    Let us know how they respond to your thoughtful suggestions.

I am glad that you consider my suggestions to be thoughtful. Yours are too.

Anyway, I got over it and decided to try it again after reading the responses here. I am getting used to it... I don't ever want to get too stuck in my ways.. like people seem to do as they get older... driving a 30 year old car thinking it is new, got to go with the new..

It ain't so bad now that I am giving it a chance and in fact i'm sure it's better... and no, i'm not writing MS another message, i'm sure they don't really care anyway... the machine will keep rolling along with or without me.

Sonar Platinum
    Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
    HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:I downloaded Internet Explorer 9 yesterday and rolled back to 8 today... 2011/04/25 10:30:54 (permalink)
    It's different, but all the major browsers such as Firefox and Chrome have all went to a similar layout.  After a little use, it becomes easier and you won't even think about it.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1