How to best Audition Midi Drum Sequences BEFORE importing / dragging them into a Project

Author
mikespitzer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 300
2011/04/20 00:04:02 (permalink)

How to best Audition Midi Drum Sequences BEFORE importing / dragging them into a Project

I have recently started using BFD for drums.
BFD has a great feature that lets you audition "BFD formatted drum grooves" in the GUI before you drag them into a Project's track.  You do this on the BFD GUI's  Groove page.

I have loaded up BFD with lots of drum sequences from Groove Monkee

But here is my question ........

How can I audition Standard MIDI drum sequences without having to drag them into the project's track first ?
I have tons of standard MIDI from Supreme Drummer and other sources.

You can't audition a non-BFD2 formatted "drum groove"  (ie ..... Standard MIDI Sequence)  inside the BFD interface.

And when you are using IMPORT inside Sonar, to Import a Midi track, you have the option to PLAY the Midi Sequence, but it plays using Windows Media Player so you get a generic MIDI audition played an not a real true audition of what it will sound like thru your selected Drum Syth  (in this case BFD).

So far when working with any generic MIDI Drum sequences it has been a painful procedure of dragging a file into the track, if it is not what I want, delete it and try another , etc..etc..etc

There must be a better way

Thanks

3 Replies Related Threads

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:How to best Audition Midi Drum Sequences BEFORE importing / dragging them into a Projec 2011/04/20 05:10:53 (permalink)
    If you're using X1, the Browser has an audition facility that lets you select which vsti you want to use to audition samples.

Any earlier version I think you have no choice but to drag the midi pattern into Sonar and play it from there.

I've not tried auditioning anything other than BFD's own Grooves inside BFD, but when you drag the ones you like into Sonar, they are standard Midi files at that point, so are you 100% sure you can't audition 3rd party loops?

I'd try it right now but I'm miles away from my DAW.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    mikespitzer
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 300
    Re:How to best Audition Midi Drum Sequences BEFORE importing / dragging them into a Projec 2011/04/20 05:57:49 (permalink)
    Bristol,

It sounds like X1 has the feature I am trying to attain.

Yes, if I drag the standard MIDI into a track inside a SONAR project I can listen to it, but that is what I am trying to avoid since that is not really "auditioning" it before you commit it to a track.

This is more like blindly selecting a MIDI sequence, importing it into your project, listen, if you don't want it, delete it, drag another in, etc...etc..etc...

With a true audition, you could easily scroll thru the library of MIDI sequences and hear (preview/audition) them before you actually import/drag them into SONAR

It sounds as you say, like X1 is capable of doing this.

I have been holding off X1 for awhile waiting for all the dust to settle and Cakewalk to get all these problems out of the way that seem to have plagued this newest version.

Thanks
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:How to best Audition Midi Drum Sequences BEFORE importing / dragging them into a Projec 2011/04/20 08:25:49 (permalink)
    Maybe use 2 tracks for drums..... one to audition...the other is the keeper track. If you like the audition, you drag it to the keeper.

I find it to be very easy to edit stuff in midi, and quick too. so, I don't know that I'd buy X1 just for the audition feature.... but then again, I never use the audition feature in anything that I have that has it.  I pretty much know what something is going to sound like before I drop it into a project track, but after it gets in, if I don't like it, I take the time to find something that I do like and works.

That probably didn't help you a bit....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1