Advice on replacing HDDs

Author
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
2011/04/20 07:54:13 (permalink)

Advice on replacing HDDs

I'm about to change the two internal HDDs of my desktop, because they're already five years old, and I don't want to wait for them to crash unexpectedly (and the other one is getting full). Theres a double-boot system disc (video partition and audio partition, XP SP3) and a data/audio disc.

I have a back-up drive of them both (using Acronis), but I'm thinking about using my external eSATA dock to make the system-HDD ready to run before I even install it.

Do you know if I need to partition the new HDD in advance when I set Acronis to copy the system on the new drive? Also, if I partition the new HDD, I propably need to copy each partition at a time?? Or is Acronis capable of copying both partitions (and partitioning the new HDD) when launched from the other?

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.

2 Replies Related Threads

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Advice on replacing HDDs 2011/04/20 10:57:42 (permalink)
    If the entire boot HD was backed up:
    No need to partition/format the replacement boot HD...
    True Image will restore the dual-boot structure exactly as it was

For the secondary (Audio) HD, you can just drag/drop (copy) the data to the new HD.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    guitkid7
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:Advice on replacing HDDs 2011/04/20 17:50:26 (permalink)
    Hi Jim I have a question if you partition your OS drive does that also change the available cache
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1