Studio multisession files

Author
munmun
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1319
2011/04/24 09:45:57 (permalink)

Studio multisession files

It is a really good idea to get one's hands on professionally recorded tracks and compare them unprocessed to your own with a frequency meter such as span to see whether your tracks are up to acceptable quality.  I recently did this for acoustic guitar, vox etc and the results were beyond alarming!  However the process also yanked me back into reality.  I was caught up in the hype of plugins and gear and believed that even if I recorded an acoustic guitar with old strings and no attention to detail I could fix it in the mix.  It is just not true.  There is also a dispropotionate amount of information on the web about mixing (and cool plugins) versus just capturing high quality tracks.  One's perception of what is important can get really skewed on the internet.

So I found this link for free multisession files.  I have not listened to these yet (in the process of downloading) but thought some of you might find them useful as a comparison to your own tracks.

http://bit.ly/gXLDy1

10 Replies Related Threads

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Studio multisession files 2011/04/24 16:47:54 (permalink)
    It definitely is very useful to hear these sorts of things. Also search for the 'weathervane stems' which are quite good (and legally available unlike most of the multi-tracks of commercial tunes.) It really gives you a feeling for how things fit together and that's the real trick. We can all within some reasonable amount of time learn to record individual instruments so that they sound pretty good. But the trick is composition and recording sounds that fit together in some desirable way. It's really tough to do well.

And yeh, I also agree on the fix it in the mix. Some of this, to be fair, comes from the fact that professional mixers often don't record the material. They get what they get and they have to be able to deal with whatever they get, and they get kudus (aka bucks) for being able to do that well.

So many of us come along and hear all this talk and we get the feeling that that's what it's all about. But that's not what it's supposed to be about. It's supposed to be about capturing a good performance of a good composition really well. And yeh, there's always some enhancements to do without getting stupid, adding ambience, panning, some level automation perhaps if that couldn't somehow be actually performed, some effects. But it'll never sound better than capturing it well to begin with.

For those of us who record ourselves, we are the ones who have the luxury of recording all the material and being the song writer and composer and such. So we are in a position to try to get it right to begin with. It makes much more sense to me to learn how to record it well than to spend all your time fixing it after the fact.

It would also help if more of us could get ourselves away from the belief that anything that doesn't sound super-compressed and completely defect free is amateurish. That has been the biggest damage that all of this has caused. You can no longer be human and professional hardly.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Studio multisession files 2011/04/24 18:10:31 (permalink)
    Oh yes.Always start with the best quality tracks. Trying to "fix it in the mix" is not the right way to approach recording.

new strings..... so simple and yet so true.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Studio multisession files 2011/04/24 21:18:09 (permalink)
    +1/2

A lot of this seems personal preference, old school vs new school, technique vs. holistic art ... and a lot of other confusion.

For me ... 'Depends on genre, producer, preferences, etc., rarely initial performance sketches (especially since mine suck --haha!)

Personally, I prefer beatz while dancing ... and hate fancy old-school guitar riffs, operatics, etc.

... OTOH, my collab cronies are often performance freaks -- haha!  And 'Tis their performance perfectionism which prevents their inspiration.

The greatest hip-hop producer-loops oft have the shoddiest performances, the worst vocs, and the most hyper-maximized nuances ... its all so counter-intuitive ... these happy accidents --LOL.

Reprobate Hip hop isn't going away anytime soon.

For me, there remains a lot of leeway: A producer's job seems holistic to make beauty with 'acceptable' performances/samples/selections.  Producer-artists and groove-meisters take the ordinary and make it extraordinary ... etc. 

Also, "performance" definition oft seems like "light" and "time" ... I might even measure "performance parameters" but human performances are ellusive to me.  Or if the performer is sincerely happy, I'm happy --haha?!

Or: Yesterday's performance is today's sample; today's sample is tomorrow's perforance --lol.

"Is that a real guitar?"  --lol.
    post edited by Philip - 2011/04/24 21:19:17

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Jeff Evans
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Studio multisession files 2011/04/24 23:18:38 (permalink)
    This is just so true, that the source has to be good to start with. And especially drums. Many drummers are not that aware of how great drums can sound with a little tuning and fiddling. And from that point on you have got such a great sound to work with.

Yes and guitars too. Think about this, a cheap guitar, old strings, average microphone, poor placement, average mic pre. What are you going to get? Even if the performance is great and that is still the most important, then the sounds will be pretty average. But at the other end of the scale. Fantastic sounding Martin guitar, new strings, great microphone, excellent placement, great pre, its all going to add up to heaven really isn't it.  As long as the guitarist can play of course! These sounds will be much better.

And that goes for any performance on any instrument and vocal performances. I have always thought Steely Dan would be a very easy band to record and mix! The better the musicians and the performances the better the outcome by far. The higher the musicianship is, the easier tracking and mixing and mastering is. I think many forget this. They are dealing with mediocrity and the end result will always be mediocre. As well as musicanship though, the more prep into getting the source sound right will also aid the production process big time.

When I was being a rep for the V Studio 700 system Roland sent me the most amazing multitrack recording. They used a top engineer (in a great studio) and apparently no processing was used anywhere during the tracking. Just great mike choices and placement. The raw tracks sound fantastic. With absolutely no processing on any track the most beautiful mix can be pulled up in seconds, just a matter of balancing the tracks. No track needs a single processor or plugin of any description! They just sound amazing as they are.  I have never heard anything like it. It is quite special. The instruments all sound surpurb and the performances are also stellar of course.

This is the area we should be aspring to in many ways especially if its recording just straight out audio tracks with no effects etc. The more time right at the source the less time later.

I am not referring to music that needs to moulded and created after the initial recording so much here. Just more straight band performances that sound just great! But even if you are going to produce and mangle the loops or any recordings you do the same applies. More prep early on less work later on.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    munmun
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1319
    Re:Studio multisession files 2011/04/24 23:48:48 (permalink)
    I was getting advice from a recording engineer in Toronto.  He said that if I were apprenticing with him, I would be banned from using eq for a year to force me to get the tracks sounding right at the source.  And yes he did play me some stuff.  Raw tracks without any processing and they sounded amazing to me.

I have not mixed anything for some time but I might set up a personal challenge to minimize eq while mixing so I force myself to get it right at the source.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Studio multisession files 2011/04/25 08:07:31 (permalink)
    That is great advice ....(not using EQ for a year) .... it forces you to get it right... up front.

So many people rely on the fix in the mix with EQ and verb formula and the truth is it should be right coming into the DAW.

A good way to do this in a DAW is to record all the tracks dry. Make a personal pact NOT to use any plugs in the tracking and mixing stages. Get that project to sound as good as you can with the dry, raw tracks, sans plugs and then when you finally get to the mastering/sweetening stage, the verb, EQ and compression will be the icing on the cake that brings out the last bit of sparkle and shine in the mix.

You can insert the plugs in the final stages and use the "bypass FX bin" to compare the before and after sound.

I have heard that your mix before sweetening should sound so good that when you add the sweetening, there is not too much difference in the sound.... I am still seeking that point in my mixing.

I know it's there and so I am working on getting there.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/04/25 08:08:54

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    droddey
    Re:Studio multisession files 2011/04/25 17:22:54 (permalink)
    But you probably won't ever get there unless you have excellently tracked versions of good compositions. Without that, just balancing will be somewhat limited in what it can accomplish. If those things are done really well, in theory, nothing but balance would be required to have a nice sounding mix, if f/x were committed to during the tracking phase.

If ambience wasn't used in tracking, then that would be a bit of a problem since it would be kind of hard to achieve the desired depth of field without the addition of some ambience in the mix I guess. So the dry version would be fairly flat.

Oh, and yeh, I'm still very much struggling to get there as well. I just do pieces, then I mix them and see what I had to change in order to get the parts really fitting together. And I try to use those hard lessons the next time. One thing for sure is REALLY listening when you track, and doing so with the track you are recording at the level it will be in the mix, not artificially elevated. Otherwise, you can't mix yourself as you play because you aren't hearing the track as it should be relative to the other stuff. And since balance is hugely important wrt to what sort of frequency content a part should have, if you want to do your part in the playing to improve the mix, you need to hear what the part is going to sound like. There's so much you can do with picking style, picking position, what pickup settings to use, dynamics, etc... and of course changing that up all the time in some cases to optimize the tone of the instrument at any given time.

I'm really trying to do this and it has helped a lot. I really try to listen to what I'm playing as I'm tracking it and asking myself if it fits and what I can do to make it fit better, and if it has more frequency real estate than it really needs to do its job.
    post edited by droddey - 2011/04/25 17:27:04

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re:Studio multisession files 2011/04/26 13:41:46 (permalink)
    two more cents, and yes, I'm an old dog!

I learned from engineers in small-ish, for the day, studios. They had minimal on-board processing, and even more minimal(?) outboard gear. We also had only 8 tracks to work with.

So I learned to get the sounds "right" from the start, and to think ahead, since often we'd mix on the fly while tracking.

I have to confess, I LOVE the fact that I don't have to pre-mix and make every decision during tracking, there is a freedom that comes with an unlimited (or nearly so) track count.

BUT, I still do my best to get the sound with microphone selection and placement, and even more to the point, selecting the right player and instrument. I think that there is something that happens when you get things just right first that can not be duplicated, even with the amazing tools we have at our disposal today.

The range of tonal changes that microphone selection and placement provides is pretty remarkable, and you can do quite a bit with dynamics as well. If you haven't tried it you owe yourself.

On the topic of listening to tracks and mixes from other folks, well, I can't think of a better (faster?) way to learn. And, it's just plain fun to boot...

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Jeff Evans
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Studio multisession files 2011/04/27 01:50:17 (permalink)
    Right back around 1980 when I built my first studio, I was into producing a lot of electronic music. I had all the hardware synths at the time and I was using a 4 track and 2 track reel to reel setup and also had an old Teac Model 2 mixer. It was only 6 channels but there was no EQ on any channel, only a HP and LP filter from memory.

Because of this fairly severe limitation (if you could call it that) I was forced to alter the sound of the synths themselves by spending much more time editing the actual patch. If I needed it brighter or bassier etc I had to do it all in the synth because I had no other way of doing it. I think because of this it has probably had a profound effect on me.  It made me really learn the techniques of synth programming.

It is very similar to getting sounds right directly at the source.  Even today when I produce music like that I very rarely have any EQ on any synths. I still get in there and either search for the right preset, edit an existing one or make the sound from scratch.  And I don't really print it until it sounds right.  And back then I had to imagine what was going to happen with repeated transfers across 4 track and 2 track etc and I was good at allowing for it too. Not so important these days obviously.

The classic conpcept of setting up two mikes on a guitar cab and have one fixed and the other movable is also a very interesting idea. When you sum them the range of tonal variations is quite staggering actually.

With drums a bit of tuning goes a long way. Tighten that bottom snare head a bit, are the snare wires working correctly and buzzing right. Tune the top head too. (Change the heads all together) You can alter the bottom end and the top end by doing all these things. Move a microphone a small amount. It seems to sound better than tracking something almost right and trying to bring it up to speed with EQ. With the kick the best thing you can do is get the drummer to play the kick and get your head down there where the mic is and listen to it! It might not sound that great so tune it, change the damping around etc and viola you will come up with a great kick sound. Then mike it.

It is a bit like Ramsay yelling to his apprentice chefs... "....taste your f***ing food!!!!!" It is amazing how many chef's send food out they have not tasted!

Back in the analog days if you patch anything into a signal flow then you are altering the sound in some way. The same applies with digital plugins. Take a Hi Fi approach and get back to minimum interference of the sound you are capturing. Put the least amount of processors in line, get the sound some other way.

We have got too many options and we are all using all of them because we can. I mean even having 8 tracks for years forced me to take stock of parts that were unnecessary and keeping ones that were etc.. It really teaches you about unncessary parts in music!

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    droddey
    Re:Studio multisession files 2011/04/27 03:48:06 (permalink)
    For us home guys though there is the issue that more room might not be an improvement in many cases, and we have the problem of being the player while trying to find the tone at the same time, which makes that kind of thing a lot harder also. I use a re-amp box for this if I want to do anything more than a single mic fairly close, because otherwise it's just too much measure and cut to do. I do ultimately play the part, I just use the re-amp box as a virtual assistant to play a part (in the context of the song) so I can then go be engineer for a bit and really hear what it sounds like with the song, not just in isolation.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1