This is a 15 minute preview of my latest project....

Author
Hguols
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2011/04/26 12:01:01 (permalink)

This is a 15 minute preview of my latest project....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC8LM_g-cOw

I spent two months sequencing everything for this release, but it was well worth it!  It turned out great!

This is actually my 4th release under the project name "Hguols". 

If there are any questions, please feel free to ask!  I'll do the best I can to answer them!

Thank you!

8 Replies Related Threads

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:This is a 15 minute preview of my latest project.... 2011/04/26 17:51:38 (permalink)
    I think the mix is good but it sure could use some pro mastering (IMO).

Good job.

Hguols
    Re:This is a 15 minute preview of my latest project.... 2011/04/26 18:17:22 (permalink)
    Thanks! 

I actually used a recent version of iZotope Ozone to master the album.  I thought I did pretty good though! 

I've tried in previous albums to get this "pro mastered" through a company, but they just made my music an overcompressed, clicky, EQ nightmare mess.

> _ <

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:This is a 15 minute preview of my latest project.... 2011/04/26 18:21:47 (permalink)
    Is your mixing environment treated? Maybe it sounds good where you are. Have you tried it out on various systems (car, ipod, stereo, friends stereo) to see if the mix translates?

My son is in a Death Metal band so I'm pretty familiar with the general sound you're after.

Maybe mgh (a member here on the forum) can weigh in and check what I'm hearing.
    Hguols
    Re:This is a 15 minute preview of my latest project.... 2011/04/26 19:03:18 (permalink)
    Yes.  My mixing environment chain of command is headphones, PC speakers, room stereo, car....

Death metal is quite a different animal than black metal, especially in the recording, but its good to know you're at least familiar with the metal "subspecies". 

Maybe it has to do with personal preferences in sonics.  ._.

EDIT:  Maybe it might help for me to ask....  What is it about the sound that gives it the impression it hasn't had a professional mastering?

post edited by Hguols - 2011/04/26 19:21:43

mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:This is a 15 minute preview of my latest project.... 2011/04/26 21:01:11 (permalink)
     -Thanks for the heads up, TheeEd...

So 90s influenced home BM brew, mix wise sounds pretty OK, but spoilt by bad drums and keys, the drums sound very 'midi at 127' and the keys are GM special. some interesting ideas amongst it all; i love the stuff from 3'30, but the cool guitar riffs are spoilt by the above, you have cool ideas, and the guitars are excellent. needs some vox, and better vstis. drum programming is fine, just the sounds!
    dude sounds a bit negative, you have the chops and riffs, just needs a better sound pallette to realise this vision!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Hguols
    Re:This is a 15 minute preview of my latest project.... 2011/04/26 23:01:28 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input MGH!  I've searched far and wide for a decent soundfont drum instrument, but to no avail....  Roland GM has it best, at least for what I'm wanting to do.  It does have a very MIDI sound to it, but nothing else, from what I've used, fits as good.

My other drumset experiences, are either too much one way - meaning, drums either sound great slow and uber choppy at a fast tempo, or great fast, and weak at a slow pace.  Great snare with crappy toms, great toms with a crappy snare, etc.

I'm a little disappointed in regards to bad keys.  I'm using a soundfont of a Campbell's Cello for my string sections, Campbell's Harpsichord for those sections...   The Choir Ahs are traditional Roland GM, along with the drums, but that's the only thing non-soundfont about this.

I'm glad you were satisfied with the guitars sound, but maybe those were just my better choices of soundfonts.  (actually, it was a blend of two sounds together)

I'm appreciate what you had to say regarding the structure and the compliments how the music is put together.  Thank you!

mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:This is a 15 minute preview of my latest project.... 2011/04/27 05:58:04 (permalink)
    i use Steven Slate Metal EX, you can listen to it in action at http://soundcloud.com/markhaigh
    i know a lot of people like the Toontracks stuff for metal, esp the metal foundry SD add-on.

Soundfonts are quite old-fashioned in some ways, i'd have a look at vsti's instead, the ones built into sonar producer are quite good (dim pro, z3ta, pentagon), but there are loads, i'd say the main ones are omnisphere, kontakt, independence. however, if the guitars are soundfonts, they're really well done!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Hguols
    Re:This is a 15 minute preview of my latest project.... 2011/04/28 15:44:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for mentioning that!  I'll have to look into VSTI's, as I know little to nothing about them.

I've got an older version of Cakewalk.  Producer 6 actually.  I'm not sure if I have those, but then again, I can't say that I'm extremely knowledgeable about this program.

This might sound really strange, but part of me doesn't want it to sound "extremely real".  I've grown a bit attached to the cold and lifeless "fake" sounds.  Gives the music a pinch of a "cyber" I think....

...but thanks for the inputs! 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1