Xyanthus - New Mix 5/5/2011

Author
Ian Ferrin
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 527
2011/05/02 07:00:50 (permalink)

Xyanthus - New Mix 5/5/2011

Thanks to mgh and Rik - This version incorporates some parallel compression - It's rearranged a bit, mostly I removed the drums from V1.

Thanks for everyone's help!

This one's an instrumental that I spent way too long on....

Any comment/critique welcome. I usually use drums from loops/acid and then do the rest of the parts myself, but I played the djembe on this and the end result probably might not be as sharp as some of my other stuff.  The "guitar" part is an electric piano played thru NI's guitar rig 4.

Xyanthus

Pronounced "Zyanthus"
post edited by Ian Ferrin - 2011/05/06 10:20:58

"Everyone is a 'believer' - even if you don't believe, that's a belief" - Me

Songs - (at soundclick)
Sonar Platinum, Native Instruments Komplete 10u, Korg N1R X2 (for some reason I still love this old synth).

27 Replies Related Threads

morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/02 10:53:47 (permalink)
    Hi Ian , I like the composition and that djembe  is a nice touch. I personally don't like the distorted e-piano, sounds to dark and distorted, duh , maybe some more compression and less distortion would smooth it out a bit, just an idea.

Greetings, Rik
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/02 11:47:56 (permalink)
    I love this Ian... I could almost hear some Bruce Hornsby in this... Lovely... 
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/02 21:24:08 (permalink)
    I love it!  Djembe works fine.  Piano playing is wonderful.  The guitar sound doesn't thrill me...or maybe it's just too much of a good thing.  But on the whole I really like the composition.  I love the way it builds here and there (for instance, at 3:05--marvelous!)  and I love the paths it goes down, if that makes any sense.  :) 

How did you mic the djembe?  The only thing I thought of, regarding the djembe, is that with a real kit it's easier to 'build' where you want to.  (I would have been pounding on the toms in a couple of places.) 

But I still just love this.  I haven't heard you play in awhile...I've been missing out.  :)  Thanks for posting this.
    Ian Ferrin
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/03 03:16:54 (permalink)
    Frank and Rik - Thanks much guys!

Rik and Janet - Yeah, re. the 'guitar', I completely agree the real think would be better.  Since this is a, more or less, legit type composition, I'd have to have a player read the part... which probably means hiring someone.   If I ever subscribe to TAXI again, I might consider it.

Janet - Thanks!.  All I did w/ the Djembe is stick a single mic near the head.  It picks up the bass tones pretty well, which you can hear in isolation.  The richness of the Djembe sound doesn't really come thru in the recording... I don't know what the solution is to that though?

Peace,

Ian

Songs - (at soundclick)
    Sonar Platinum, Native Instruments Komplete 10u, Korg N1R X2 (for some reason I still love this old synth).
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/03 03:46:18 (permalink)
    you could try a bit of parallel compression on the djembe to see if that helps to bring out the sub-frequencies. distorted e-piano, huh? pretty cool idea! nice tune on this song, as ever, and well played.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Ian Ferrin
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/03 08:11:51 (permalink)
    Thanks mgh... what do you mean by parallel compression?... the djembe is a mono signal to start with.

Peace,

Ian

Songs - (at soundclick)
    mgh
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/03 08:19:28 (permalink)
    http://www.hometracked.co...for-fatter-drum-tones/

also known as 'new york' compression. lotsa web articles on the thing, it may or may not work..

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    morenoise
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/03 08:25:25 (permalink)
    Hi Ian , send the Djembe signal to a bus and put a compressor on that bus. Now you have the original Djembe track with the dynamics all there and a compressed Djembe via a bus. You can use quite a bit of compression on that bus and because you still have the uncompressed track as well, you still have the dynamics. I sometimes use this to  beef up my acoustic guitar sound for solo's, without squashing all the dynamics out of it.

Greetings, Rik
    Ian Ferrin
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/03 09:07:26 (permalink)
    OK - thanks guys... I messed with this for the last 1/2 hour.  I definitely get a fatter sound.  I think I'm going to stick with the thinner sound, at least for now because now it sounds too cluttered in the low mids... IE especially as the djembe relates to the kick, bass and 'guitar'.

It's a great technique though and I'll use it in the future.  I think starting out with the fatter djembe sound and then building the mix around it would be the way to go.  It's a great tip.  I'll probably use it on a bunch of stuff...

Thanks!

Peace,

Ian

Songs - (at soundclick)
    Janet
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/03 09:11:43 (permalink)
    Cool conversation here, guys.  Thanks.  I tried putting a mic at the bottom of the djembe once, but that sounded really thin.  I wonder if two mics...one on top and one on the bottom, would bring out the best sounds?  Perhaps compression is all that's needed, but I wondered if it could be mic'ed differently to begin with.
    Ian Ferrin
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/03 09:29:09 (permalink)
    There's actually a few discussions out there:

http://www.remo.com/forum...=1&tpg=5&age=0
    http://recording.org/pro-...-micing-a-djembe.htmls

Bottom line is that there's lots of way to mic a djembe.  For such a simple instrument, it's complicated, sound-wise!

I DO like the parallel compression idea.  It occurs to me that you might get an interesting sound by micing both the head and the bottom and applying that heavy compression to the bottom mic only.

Peace,

Ian

post edited by Ian Ferrin - 2011/05/03 09:31:22

Songs - (at soundclick)
    Janet
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/03 09:30:09 (permalink)
    Well, first I have to learn to PLAY the thing well.  :)  But I'll try to remember this thread when I do. :)
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/03 10:00:36 (permalink)
    Instrumentals are hard to do, good job, gave me a sound track vibe. 

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/03 12:47:23 (permalink)
    This is different.  I guess I know what a djembe is now, right?  :-0  I like the tune but was not down with the distorted piano unless that was the guitar.  That's just me, though.  No imagination.  LOL Overall it is a nice composition. 

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/03 13:07:20 (permalink)
    Cool tune not keen on the distorted piano sound.

Thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Ian Ferrin
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/05 03:18:59 (permalink)
    mgh and Rik - I did an alt mix using parallel compression on the djembe and also some super camel phat on the mix as a whole:

http://www.soundclick.com...69&songID=10603740

I personally prefer the original, I think - if you see this, I'd appreciate your opinions.  Thanks!

Robbie, evan, and Wookiee - Thanks guys.  Doin' the best I can with what I got!

Peace,

Ian

Songs - (at soundclick)
    morenoise
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/05 11:04:01 (permalink)
    Hi Ian, first of all it's a great piece of music and I certainly enjoyed listening to both versions several times. I personally love the alternative mix, to me that Djembe now fits very well. I think it drives the song forwards as opposed to the first mix. Somehow I thought the alternative mix sounded like a live performance, and a good one at that. Even that distorted e-piano is starting to grow on me . Off course all of this is totally subjective and it's your music so it's your call , thanks for sharing.

Greetings, Rik
    Colonel Sanders
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 112
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/05 11:20:23 (permalink)
    Morenoise,

What kind of guitar is that in your picture profile?

Colonel
    morenoise
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/05 11:26:16 (permalink)
    Hi Colonel , it's a Lâg 112nce nylon-string electro-acoustic.

Greetings, Rik
    Colonel Sanders
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 112
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/05 11:30:08 (permalink)
    Nice.  I play an Ovation Longneck.  I invite you to listen to the short clip I posted in this forum earlier today.  I've been a long-time musician but am new to using home studio software.

Peace.
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/05 14:00:22 (permalink)
    Ian, I loved this! What's not to love? I just hits home to me and I really enjoyed it. On the guitar thing, yeah that's a tough one...but you did a nice job on that considering. One thing you may want to consider in the future...and I so hate admitting this because it's putting guys like me out of work...but....*gulp* there is an alternative that is so realistic...if you don't watch this dude playing keyboards and turn your head, it's the most convincing thing I've ever heard hands down.

http://www.prominy.com/SC.htm

I'm still in awe over this thing and thought of buying it "just to have". Check out the vids and then listen to the assorted mp3's...it's mind blowing for those that may not be guitarists or have the resources to print guitar.

On the p-comp thing, I personally wouldn't use it on this particular tune as I think fatter would make it a bit more dominant and less intimate. The only thing I'd change would be the guitar thing...but even that isn't anything that bothers me. I just know it's a sim of sorts...but try to put that in the back of my mind and enjoy the tune for what it is....and enjoy I did. :)

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Ian Ferrin
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/05 15:53:01 (permalink)
    Rik - Thanks again... I took down the alt mix but the final version uses the parallel compression. 

Danny - Thanks much.  I had Steinberg's Electric Guitar software which isn't as sophisticated as this but I never really learned it.  In order to do make it realistic there's a learning curve... look at how busy the guy's left hand is with the switches and controls.  I admit though, once you get it down, the end result is amazing.  This one has a $400 price tag too.  Nevertheless, I bookmarked that page.  Thanks!

Peace,

Ian

Songs - (at soundclick)
    mgh
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/05 21:29:34 (permalink)
    hey Ian, i like this new mix. the percussion is more upfront and really drives the song.

just a FYI, but you can do the same kinda thing using eq, which sometimes works better on vocals/bass and other sources - really extreme eq'ing accentuating either the highs, mids or bass, just mixed under the original source...

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/05 22:06:28 (permalink)
    Hey, Ian
    you really like that distortion don't you?   personally I'd back off of it for the rhodes/e-piano.

I didn't hear this before you added the parallel compresson on the djembe, but there are parts in this where the djembe is a little too overpowering in the mix and I'd consider backing it down a tad.

the guitar sound doesn't sound the best either, IMO, but it's not too bad.  I'd much prefer hearing you team up with one of the excellent guitar players on the forum and get them to lay down something really cool instead!

good song!  good stuff!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Serious Noize!
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/06 00:34:23 (permalink)

This is awesome man!!!!!  I like the vibe this tune has on it. Very cool.

No complaints here. Just maybe one slight thing, maybe add a bit more treble to the lead guitar, it sounds fine as is, but I think it might give a bit more edge and ring to it. Don't get me wrong, my hearing lately hasn't been all that great, and that's a personal preference you might say, perhaps a speaker thing also. I listen to everything from the internet flat with no EQ or nothing like that.

Eitherway, I enjoyed hearing this, thanks, excellent!!!!!!

Ian Ferrin
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/06 10:19:43 (permalink)
    mgh - Thanks for sticking with this one.  That's a great idea about the parallel EQ.  I love tricks like that.  Especially ways to get interesting sounds.

Beagle - Yeah, you nailed it.  I like distortion.  And I realize I like it more than most people do... which is a problem at times.  I trade piano parts w/ folks pretty often but with melody lines, I prefer to either hire someone or do it myself as I'm pretty particular about the melody.  But I agree, a rockin' real guitar would be the way to go...

SN - Thanks much!  I agree with you about the eq.  I lowered the level of the fake-guitar in this mix and I agree a bit of high end will probably help.

Thanks guys!

Ian

Songs - (at soundclick)
    Janet
    Re:Xyanthus 2011/05/06 22:21:12 (permalink)
    I've been watching this thread and finally got a chance to listen again.  I guess I missed the alt mix, but I like this one, having the the djembe a little more prominent.

Still really diggin' your piano playing most of all though, and how the orchestration builds in all the right places.  I really love this piece.  Makes me want to sit and pound the heck out of my keyboard.  :) 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1