Creative Xi-Fi XtremeGamer soundcard - can it really be used for music creation?

Author
Large Style
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 279
2011/05/09 13:49:24 (permalink)

Creative Xi-Fi XtremeGamer soundcard - can it really be used for music creation?

Hi all,

Short Version:
Basically, I'm contemplating merging my music pc with my spare gaming pc components (s/card and GPU) to make a slightly comprimised gaming and music system, and I'm wondering if the Xi-Fi XtremeGamer s/card is any good within Sonar?

Long version:
My music pc has the Creative EMU 1616 audio interface which suits my music needs perfectly, but is totally useless for gaming. The Xi-Fi card has "Dolby Digital Live" which I want / need for occasional gaming sessions, but I'm concerned it generally won't be up to the job, regardless of the fact that the Xi-Fi has a music creation mode (along with gaming and entertainment modes).

My musical projects are all totally VSTi based (so I don't need /use the EMU 1616's connectivity on breakout box) and use a large amount of East West PLAY "synths". I mainly use a full orchestral and SATB choir project as a base setup, with every orchestral instrument / instrument group loaded in keyswitch form resulting in 6-7Gb memory usage.

The pc in question will be using an old Q6600 CPU, currently running @ stock speed of 2.4Ghz, but is overclockable to 3.2Ghz if required, and it'll have 8Gb DDR2 800Mhz RAM, standard SATA II HDD, all on a basic but functional Gigabyte mobo (which if I merged systems would then be running a XFX 680i mobo).

I have been using good ol' Windows XP (x64) for music, but this will probably also change to Windows 7 (x64).

I know one answer is to just try it, but I thought I'd ask here first before I start pulling computers apart. I also know that it's no-way ideal having one system for both games and music, but I currently can't afford 2 "proper" computers and I'm only a musical hobbyist, nothing too serious going on.

Any thoughts or comments would be most appreciated.

Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G, Q6600 2.4Ghz, Crucial 8gb, EMU 1616, nVidia NVS 440 + Matrox DualHead2Go, WinXP x64 + WinXP x86 Dual-boot, M-Audio ProKeys 88, Technics 5.1 amp., guitar that I never learned to play.

10 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Creative Xi-Fi XtremeGamer soundcard - can it really be used for music creation? 2011/05/09 15:11:54 (permalink)
    personally I would not want to rely on a SB card for music production.  I've tried it before when I first started and it was disasterous.  some people can make use of them, but I could not.

while you don't use the EMU's converters for your workflow - you do still use it's drivers for your recording.  the EMU has low latency drivers for you to use with recording MIDI on your Prokeys.

my suggestion would be to use both.  if you don't like the EMU for gaming, then add the SB card and use it for gaming and use the EMU for recording.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Creative Xi-Fi XtremeGamer soundcard - can it really be used for music creation? 2011/05/09 15:18:01 (permalink)
    Any thoughts or comments would be most appreciated.

I wouldn't bother with the SB for proper audio recording/mixing.
    Like Beagle mentioned, install use both (Emu for audio, SB for games).

I'd OC the Q6600 to 3.2GHz

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Large Style
    Re:Creative Xi-Fi XtremeGamer soundcard - can it really be used for music creation? 2011/05/09 15:53:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for your responses!
    my suggestion would be to use both.  if you don't like the EMU for gaming, then add the SB card and use it for gaming and use the EMU for recording.

Yeah, that sounds ideal, but I wasn't 100% sure that you could run 2 audio cards in one system. Figured it'd give some kind of conflict, as in what the primary device was, if Sonar would've been happy and generally configurable to use the EMUs drivers / device, and if games had the option to select sound device (isn't an option I see too often). I was also concerned about potential latency issues on the Xi-Fi as I do a lot of recording live from the Prokeys, so I need this to not worsen in any way.

Guess in that case, I'd have to install both cards, tell Windows that the Xi-Fi is the primary device, tell Sonar to use just the EMU and hope they're no conflicts. I predict that the EMUs Patchmix bay app thingy might cause problems if that tries to load on Windows startup with the Xi-Fi set as the audio device, but I guess I'll just have to try it and hope for the best.

I'd OC the Q6600 to 3.2GHz

Thinking about it, it will be O/C'd to 3.2 for the gaming side of things. Will be nice to have extra CPU headroom in Sonar in case my projects get a little heavy!

Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G, Q6600 2.4Ghz, Crucial 8gb, EMU 1616, nVidia NVS 440 + Matrox DualHead2Go, WinXP x64 + WinXP x86 Dual-boot, M-Audio ProKeys 88, Technics 5.1 amp., guitar that I never learned to play.
    Beagle
    Re:Creative Xi-Fi XtremeGamer soundcard - can it really be used for music creation? 2011/05/09 16:47:12 (permalink)
    you just have to tell windows and sonar which soundcards to use is all.  it's not difficult to configure.

do you have 5 monitors???  ;-)

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Creative Xi-Fi XtremeGamer soundcard - can it really be used for music creation? 2011/05/10 06:50:07 (permalink)
    I had conflict problems with the SB Xfi I had in my recording PC.  Sonar was defaulting to the SoundBlaster sound card when I would start Sonar, rather than my Saffire Pro 40.  The problem was the ASIO drivers for the SoundBlaster.  When I would start Sonar or open a new project it would switch the "Record Latency Adjustment" to the SoundBlaster and would cause a "no sound device" error. 

I finally had enough of it and reinstalled an HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card that I had, which does not have an ASIO driver, and that eliminated the Sonar problem.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Large Style
    Re:Creative Xi-Fi XtremeGamer soundcard - can it really be used for music creation? 2011/05/10 15:59:20 (permalink)
    do you have 5 monitors???  ;-)

Yes, well I did until this afternoon - I've just pulled apart everything you see in my profile picture, including the desk which I'm now half way through cutting up to make a smaller version of the same desk (is going into another room in the house, with smaller space available). Part of the relocation, resizing, and different pc build will mean that I'll have to go back down to 2 monitors - which when you're used to using 5 will result in a tight squeeze of Sonar space! I'll hopefully adjust and learn to live with it somehow (:

@ fireberd:
    Thanks for your input also. The problem you've described is pretty much what I was assuming might happen, even if it may be a SB card specific issue. I'm going to have to wait quite a few days until my setup is up and running again, but I'll give running my Xi-Fi and EMU together (in same pc) a go and hope I don't run into the same / any conflicts.

Thanks again chaps!

Beagle
    Re:Creative Xi-Fi XtremeGamer soundcard - can it really be used for music creation? 2011/05/10 16:57:01 (permalink)
    5 monitors would be SSSSSOOOOO coool!!

fireberd - you're absolutely correct!  SB ASIO drivers are "aggressive" and will become the default - same for line 6 toneport ASIO drivers.

craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re:Creative Xi-Fi XtremeGamer soundcard - can it really be used for music creation? 2011/05/10 20:48:05 (permalink)
    I've had two monitors before, but I think three would be great (no bar in the middle).  Then, naturally, the next big jump would be to six and THAT would be completely, ridiculousy, and absolutely unnecessarily wonderful.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    RRabbi
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 923
    Re:Creative Xi-Fi XtremeGamer soundcard - can it really be used for music creation? 2011/05/11 12:55:41 (permalink)
    you know what would look cool... ATI Eyefinity setup stretching the mixer view over 3+ monitors...    I know the graphics card I'm getting can do up to 4 monitors out of the box...

David Yanofsky
    Green Room East - Moncton, NB - CANADA

http://www.greenroomeast.com
    http://www.myspace.com/greenroomeast
    Large Style
    Re:Creative Xi-Fi XtremeGamer soundcard - can it really be used for music creation? 2011/05/11 13:52:13 (permalink)
    Hey Dave,

Once you have your rig setup with the ATI Eyefinity, slap 4 Matrox TripleHead2Go units in the mix and have 12 monitors running. You shouldn't run out of space with that, but you may lose where the hell the mouse cursor is like all the time  (:

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1