Helpful ReplyTriggering Property Changes With MIDI

Author
barusa
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2011/05/13 18:27:36 (permalink)

Triggering Property Changes With MIDI

In the past I have used the track envelopes to change softsynth properties like the pitch or volume of an instrument.  This has worked fine when I felt like I only wanted to make a small number of changes or was easily copied for repeated phrases.  I have a piece I am creating in which I would like to rapidly change the properties repeatedly with varying degrees.  The problem is that my traditional use of the track envelope would be very time consuming adding nodes and dragging the nodes around to correct values (even with copying & pasting repeatable parts.)  I am aware that you can make similar changes in some of the other editors such as the Piano Roll, but that still doesn't give me the easy control I am desiring.

I thought it would be nice if I could use MIDI to the change properties or at least trigger an effect.  I am hoping that it is my lack of experience with DAW's that causing me to overlook an easy way to do what I am looking for.  I will try my best to explain what I am hoping exists.

For example:

Say I have a softsynth that creates a buzz (think laser zap, not bee).

I have used the staff editor to create a collection half notes to the MIDI track.  (I mentioned staff editor because it is a long melody as opposed to a short loop.)

Some of the half notes I want to remain as the original sound.
    Some of the half notes I want the end of the note to collapse (drop in pitch and volume).
    Some of the half notes I want the entire note to raise (only in pitch).
    (I have a lot of other variations, but won't confuse the issue with overkill at this point.)

The following is what I hoping for (or something like it):

I would add a second MIDI track and associated staff to the staff editor.

I would add sixteen notes that would be equal to the tail of the half note to trigger a collapse.  (For example C3 would trigger collapse.)
    I would add half notes that would be equal to the entire half note for the raise.  (For example the D3 would trigger raise.)

Or

I would add a second MIDI track and associated staff to the staff editor.
    I would add sixteen notes that would be equal to the tail of the half note to trigger a collapse.  (For example C3 would trigger collapse.)

I would add a third MIDI track and associated staff to the staff editor.
    I would add half notes that would be equal to the entire half note for the raise.  (For example the C3 would trigger raise.)

What I don't know how to do is get the control MIDI track to trigger the changes of the first MIDI track's properties.  Oh, dear experts please teach me how to do this or provide another easy alternative.  By easy, I am hoping to use MIDI to trigger the effects without having to pull a part the melody to play a bunch different instruments to provide different sounds.  I am also wondering if there are filters, not property changes, that could simulate the same result.  (But, I don't know how to trigger the filters with MIDI either.)
post edited by barusa - 2011/05/13 18:34:52
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:Triggering Property Changes With MIDI 2011/05/14 07:59:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I can not remember the name of the VST that you need to do this....It is on my other computer so if no one else pops in with the name, I'll check back and give it to you. the VST is also free. It does all sorts of things like you are describing.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
barusa
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:Triggering Property Changes With MIDI 2011/05/14 18:36:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I did some additional research to understand that what I was talking about was the "MIDI Controller" component of the MIDI protocol.

Your post gave me some hope that such a thing exists as a VST.  I did a search for "VST MIDI Controller" and found several options.  Assuming you have had good luck with a specific VST I would like to hear which version you used.  Meanwhile I have downloaded a couple options to try.

THANKS!
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:Triggering Property Changes With MIDI 2011/05/14 21:39:27 (permalink)
I think this is it.....   GLITCH  check it out.... I think it might actually do what you want it to do.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1