I just discovered that.

Author
SeveredVesper
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
2011/05/15 15:59:37 (permalink)

I just discovered that.

Hum removal makes a BIG difference in the mastering stage. That was the missing piece, if not only of the pieces, that i was looking for regarding why my creations sound different from commercial ones. With the help of my mastering book my grandma bought me a year ago (The one by Bob Katz), i got introduced to WaveLab. It had a plug-in called RXHumRemover. I studied how it worked and i was amazed on the difference it made when i got to remove the 50hz 60hz hums.

Another things was exciters. I have found out the exciters don't really raise the whole EQ of the portion you are exciting, but only the harmonics of it, thus the harmonic exciter.

I also discovered that different compressors REALLY have different tones. I could imagine how a physical tube compressor would sound like. (Dreams)

Lastly, i discovered that i can hear 20khz freqs, so i don't really know if raising or leaving them be would make any difference to other people.

Check out my band's song on YouTube!

6 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:I just discovered that. 2011/05/15 16:33:02 (permalink)
    Severed,

cool. 

You should really look into getting rid of the hums at the source, before recording.

Exciters - be careful.  It is really easy to overdo them.  It sounds good at first, but can get annoying after a while.

Comps/tone - it sounds like you are developing an engineers ear.  Cool.

I can't hear 20 kHz anymore, but they need to stay for overtones.  I'm not sure about the science, but there is something about overtones feeding back down (as opposed to harmonics going only up in pitch).  So even if you don't "hear" a 20 kHz tone, you can "feel" it.  Like I said, I don't know about the science, but it makes no sense to cripple your music on the chance of theory.  but like exciters, etc., it doesn't mean you should overdo upper frequencies, which can add harshness.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    SeveredVesper
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re:I just discovered that. 2011/05/15 16:41:27 (permalink)

@AT

Thanks for the heads up on the exciters. The hum though, I don't I can get rid from the source. I play very fast and heavily distorted thrash metal, and hums come out due to the distortion creating them due to playing a fast succession of same notes. To remove the humming from the source would mean taming my amp and reducing the gain alot, which I cannot do. Or do you mean that I should use the hum remover on the guitar signs instead of the song itself?

Check out my band's song on YouTube!

craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re:I just discovered that. 2011/05/15 17:30:26 (permalink)
    As AT mentioned, sonic maximizers and aural exciters (I have both) are an easily overused spice.  Even more to the point, their job is to make something sound more "live" and therefore I would completely avoid using in the recording process.  I use mine soley for playing live in a small room or to perk up a dull backing track.

As for hum reducers, I know I have a small box just for that, but usually you can fix a lot by having properly grounded electrical outlets and avoiding things like CRT monitors and flourescent lighting.  Needless to say, creating a notch at the target area with a parametric EQ helps as well (similar to what a feedback destroyer does, just at the frequency of your power).
    post edited by craigb - 2011/05/15 17:32:45

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:I just discovered that. 2011/05/16 00:07:23 (permalink)
    amp hum?  I thought you were talking about 60 cycle.  HUMM ... I ain't a guitarist.  If you find a way to tame it without harming your tone go for it.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:I just discovered that. 2011/05/16 14:13:57 (permalink)
    Great thread (for me):

There are different hum removers (SoundForge, Waves, etc.). 

Vox tracks are especially suspect (for me) ... compression MU Gain amplifies these hums 30dcbs+.

But, if only one or 2 vox tracks are 'duetting', it isn't so fatal.

Methinks, 'Pro-Mastered tracks' are tweaked with Saturation-harmonizers and hyper-maximization. 

Such Coloration covers a lot of blemishes ... but vibe and timbre suffer ... for me.

Many pro-hiphop mixes are gleefully dissonant with artifacts and/or hyper-compression.  Essing also seems allowed in Rap ... where nastiness wins the day.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    rhand
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:I just discovered that. 2011/08/21 16:38:25 (permalink)
    I just rescued a track that had 60 cycle hum by using Wavearts MR Hum VST plugin.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1