Helpful ReplyThat "Canned" music sound

Author
Hugh
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2011/05/17 12:27:29 (permalink)

That "Canned" music sound

I wrote a piece in three lines in Noteworthy Composer.  I saved it to a MIDI file and imported it into Guitar Tracks 4, using the Studio Instruments strings and bass.  Initially, I was pleased with it.  When I shared it with my friends however, they immediately recognized it as midi/synth/canned music. 

Can anything be done with a file such as this one to make the instrument sounds more authentic?  Is a software upgrade necessary?
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re:That "Canned" music sound 2011/05/17 13:07:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Studio instruments is OK for backing stuff, but nekid ....

Also, it might be the writing.  No offence, but "composing" midi might not include all the imperfections that real players (or even synth players) add to the composition.  Before you spend money on DimPro (the likliest Cake product) you might want to "play" in a line, or muck around w/ the composition timing and note wise.

Hope this helps.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
barusa
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:That "Canned" music sound 2011/05/18 11:15:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I spent years using Noteworthy Composer, before moving on to Music Creator.  Several years ago I finally moved up to Sonar.  It is fun growing and learning, good luck and enjoy!

A big problem you are hitting is that computers play perfect everytime.  The tempo is always going to be perfect.  Every note is going to be perfectly on the beat.  Every note fired is going to play a replica of the same sound.  Every note is going to have the exact same volume.

If you want that song to sound more human, it has to be less perfect.  Insert tempo changes at different phrases or even at significant measures.  For example the exciting finale may play the tempo at 5 bpm faster than the average song tempo, with the last measure of the finale playing 8 bpm faster.  Change the sound played in some small way for different parts of the song.  Examples are changing the velocity, chorus, or reverb of sections of the song.  The more you tweak the song, alway the way down to individual notes, the more human it will sound. 

Everything I mentioned in the previous paragraph are controlled by MIDI commands, so the changes should be able to be controlled in Noteworthy.  As I said it has been a long time since I used Noteworthy, so I don't remember exactly how to do it.  I do remember using the dynamics alot to change the volume for sections of the song.

Another problem may be the soft synths sounding a little too fake.  It is great if you can afford to go out and buy the exact collection you want.  My choice years ago was that I can't reproduce sounds that replicated 'real' instrustments so just go with the flow and create awesome synthetic sounds. 

I did and still frequently layer soft synths by playing copies of the same MIDI track through different soft synths.  You may have to alter the tune of the instrustment or transpose the notes so the individual soft synths have a closer matching pitch.  A good combination not only provides a cool new sound, but also frequently provides a fuller sound.
Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
Re:That "Canned" music sound 2011/05/18 11:48:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
loosing up the quanitise as mentioned already

even adding lower elements. (same notes.. but 1-2 octaves lower) with a lower volume..

and the usual dynamic types of effects , compression etc

part of it's about articulations, more expensive libs will have more.. but for arranging it's fine.. me I just layer up strings from various sources

Hugh
Re:That "Canned" music sound 2011/05/18 17:37:15 (permalink)
Yeah...There should be a "de-quantize" button on the software.
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:That "Canned" music sound 2011/05/19 19:50:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Some midi programs actually do have a "humanize" function right along with the quantize.

Still, the better option is not to compose in Staff or PRV view in midi. The better option is to have a live player perform the song to a click track. That way, you get the right notes, but that have the human factor timing, which is what makes them sound natural to us, built right in.

very few midi based programs or midi composer programs will be able to make music sound human created. Some do come close.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Hugh
Re:That "Canned" music sound 2011/05/27 17:08:14 (permalink)
Unfortunately, I can't afford to hire three string players for thsi project.

I went to your site Herb.  Listened to "Emerald Eyes" and "Alluring Faces".  Sounds great.  Are all the instruments real or did you use some MIDI and synth?

Hugh
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:That "Canned" music sound 2011/05/27 20:00:07 (permalink)
They are sampled instruments, except the guitars, which I play. Everything else was created "in the box".

Glad you like them. those are 2 of my favorite tunes.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re:That "Canned" music sound 2011/05/27 22:17:40 (permalink)
My playing is so bad, nobody will ever mistake me for a machine.  but that ain't a good thing ...

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1