Live gig video, and (gasp) decent sound?

Author
Ikaru
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 214
2011/05/20 14:21:50 (permalink)

Live gig video, and (gasp) decent sound?

So, I've recently been tasked with trying to put together some sort of Youtube-worthy video recording solution for our live shows.  The video part is easy enough...  With a decent video camera, I can compensate for most lighting issues, etc.

Sound is another matter.  In my experience, any built in camera mic is quickly and easily overwhelmed by the house PA.  I thought about trying to get a line out from the board, but that may not be an option (just starting here, so I don't know for sure), depending on the venue, the disposition of the sound guy, length of the right type of cable versus camera placement, etc..

My best thought so far is to ask humbly for a mixdown of the gig from the sound guy afterward and sync it up later on the computer.  This also depends on the sound guy having the equipment and inclination to help out.

Any suggestions or anecdotes for what you do in similar situations?  Much appreciated.

Dual Xeon quad core 2.5 GHz, 8GB FB RAM, 1 TB SATA3, PreSonus Firestudio Project, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, S8PE

2 Replies Related Threads

BentRabbit
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re:Live gig video, and (gasp) decent sound? 2011/05/20 15:18:48 (permalink)
    Individual Direct outs from the board, preferably pre-fader, would be the ideal solution...
    That way, once you get your tracking levels set, you won't be at the mercy of any inadvertent slip-ups from the sound guy...

Sonar Platinum (64)
    Win 10 Pro (64) - 16 Gigs Ram - i7 Quad Core
    Steinberg UR824 / M-Audio Octane / Focusrite OctoPre
    Adam A7/Yamaha NS10
    Frank Haas
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2490
    Re:Live gig video, and (gasp) decent sound? 2011/05/21 05:51:50 (permalink)
    I guess I've been through all kinds of variations..
    Direct Outs is good if you have the proper audiointerface. It's pretty much work before and after the venue (as you still have to mix it)
    The last time I used the build-in mics of a pretty cheap hd-video camera. Set the audio-preferences to "manual" and "-30dB".. everything was glass-clear. I edited the video with a trial version of Sony Vegas which also has VST-support.. so I could easily use my plugins to compensate the lack of low-frequencies and so on..
    Had to use some compression to smoothen out the sound a bit.. (vocals where a bit up front, guitar sometimes too loud (but most of the time too quiet))
    so standard procedere to make it sound right.. but certainly good enough for youtube.
    If you have a small handheld audio-recorder, then I'd also record the stereo-outs of the foh,.. choose between both mixes or maybe mix them..
    the foh-mix is usually a bit too dry.. and you don't get too much of the audience in your mix.. it's of better quality but lacks that "feeling".

I also had the camera in a fixed position.. zoom in close enough to the stage and do all the camera-movements/cuttings/zoomings with your video-sequencer software.. works great!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1