Working with Drum Triggers From live room to Controll room advice please.

Author
Norrie
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1665
2011/05/22 13:24:21 (permalink)

Working with Drum Triggers From live room to Controll room advice please.

Hi all

I plan to start using Triggers on the kit in my live room while I also mic it.

I will be using a Roland TD-20 Brain for the triggers and I will be using SSD for the Samples.

Can any one please offer some advice o the best way to hook up this up ?

Would I use use one very very long midi cable from the control room in to the live room and connect to the brain or is there another way I should be thinking about doing this ?

In total I need to travel about 15 meters from the control room where my VS-700 to the Acoustic drum kit and TD-20 Brain.

Thanks for all help

Norrie

What would be the

SONAR X3c Producer
Pro Tools 11
Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
Adam A77x
i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz

3 Replies Related Threads

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Working with Drum Triggers From live room to Controll room advice please. 2011/05/22 17:02:20 (permalink)
    Norrie

Hi all

I plan to start using Triggers on the kit in my live room while I also mic it.

I will be using a Roland TD-20 Brain for the triggers and I will be using SSD for the Samples.

Can any one please offer some advice o the best way to hook up this up ?

Would I use use one very very long midi cable from the control room in to the live room and connect to the brain or is there another way I should be thinking about doing this ?

In total I need to travel about 15 meters from the control room where my VS-700 to the Acoustic drum kit and TD-20 Brain.

Thanks for all help

Norrie

What would be the

Yep Norrie, you'll need a long cable unless you have a snake in the wall that has midi. Most people don't have that. I actually ran a long cable for mine and just disconnect it when it's not being used. If you put the brain in your control room, then you'll need all the trigger cables patched in which could get messy if you dont have a snake with TRS connections to handle all the trigger cables. To be honest though, that's really the best way because then you have the brain in your hands and can tweak the options in the brain while the drummer plays instead of going in the room and fixing them every 5 seconds. The good thing about the TRS cables is you don't lose any quality if you have to use long ones because they are only triggering pulses and no audio is passed through them. The other option I mentioned works well and has less mess, but you'll need to do a few test runs and go in and out of the control room to set the triggering sensitivity up etc. Hope this helps....good luck!

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Working with Drum Triggers From live room to Controll room advice please. 2011/05/22 17:22:05 (permalink)
    I have had issues with over long midi cables in the past. They dont like to be too long either so I would not do it that way. I have had notes drop out and strange things happen over too long a midi cable.

What Danny is saying is a better option. Run the audio trigger cables from the recording space into your control room. If you are going to do it often then I would think about having another set of balanced lines installed between your recording area and control room and perhaps bring them up on a patchbay.

Also the fact you can adjust things on the brain and you will need to and having that right there with you in the control room will be a big plus.

But if you are determined to just extend the midi signal then:

There is another option. I believe there is a device for sending midi over a much longer distance. One is this device which provides a better power source:

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodpwr.htm

Or the other is this device:

http://www.jlcooper.com/_..product.php?prod=mlaxlr
    This is probably what you need.

Midi is supposed to be limited to 50 feet so you might want to try it first without anything and you might get no issues but if you do, then perhaps the jlcooper device is the way to go.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Norrie
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1665
    Re:Working with Drum Triggers From live room to Controll room advice please. 2011/05/24 14:06:36 (permalink)
    Thank you Danny/Jeff

I will let you know how I get on

I would like to have the brain in the control room I think my best bet would be to get a custom TRS Snake made up for the job

Thanks guys

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1