Gaming PC vs DAW PC revisited

Author
craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
2011/05/22 14:31:40 (permalink)

Gaming PC vs DAW PC revisited

Yes, I'm sitting here enjoying my Sunday coffee and still thinking ahead to when I can start upgrading my PC's...

Today's question has to do with the actual differences between a gaming PC and a DAW.  I know that a good gaming PC doesn't make a good DAW (mostly due to latency issues?), but is there any reason why a good DAW can't make a good gaming PC?  And, if so, what needs to be added to make a DAW good for gaming as well?  Just a better video card?  Or?

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!

16 Replies Related Threads

IK Obi
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1549
    Re:Gaming PC vs DAW PC revisited 2011/05/22 15:08:46 (permalink)
    I think the biggest thig would be noise. A gaming PC would have a nicer graphics card but also would need a decent sized fan (Or liquid cooling which would be quiet) to cool the graphics card. Otherwise I think it would work fine to use your DAW pc for gaming.
    windsurfer25x
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re:Gaming PC vs DAW PC revisited 2011/05/22 15:09:27 (permalink)
    I think it depends what kind of games you like. Some games require more CPU then GPU power. But for anything graphics intensive a better video card is important... I guess the only concern is the noise of the graphics card fan ( if you record in the same room )

Sonar X1 Expanded PE 64 bit
    Intel i7 2600k oc'd, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, intel 320 SSD OS drive, 7200RPM HDDx2, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit VS 100, Tascam US-2000, UAD2 - Izotope, Fabfilter, NI Komplete 7/Kore2 & +, Spectrasonics+

http://www.maskensmobilestudio.com

craigb
    Re:Gaming PC vs DAW PC revisited 2011/05/22 15:22:37 (permalink)
    FYI - I'm planning on having a 2600K system running at 4.5Ghz built for me using an ultra-quiet case so at least the box will have the power to do both work and play games.  I also would like to eventually get a 30" LCD (native 2560x1600 & 7ms or less) so the video card would have to handle that anyway.  If I ever expand that by adding monitors on the left and right then that could be done with a second video card I would think - and those wouldn't be necessary for gaming...

I'm basically trying to plan for the future as well as my immediate needs.  I'd hate to spend a lot of money now and then find out later that I have to start over if I want to do something different with the PC.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Gaming PC vs DAW PC revisited 2011/05/22 16:09:53 (permalink)
    I think the main diff is that the gaming computer is focused on the video display and the power of the CPU is optimized toward that end whereas the DAW is more about the speed of the processor and the quietness of the computer. In a DAW the video is not as mission critical as it would be in a game. The hi res video is not as important to the DAW user as it would be to the gamer, but that's not to say the DAW user doesn't appreciate hi res video, especially if they are working on music video's.

I think a computer could do both fairly well. The thing about the gaming boxes is the audio card is usually pretty crappy when it comes to recording.

Take an average, fairly decent off the shelf computer, put in a nice audio/midi interface, and you will have a decent DAW. Not top shelf, but nice enough to satisfy most recording enthusiasts.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re:Gaming PC vs DAW PC revisited 2011/05/22 18:31:09 (permalink)
    I think the biggest thig would be noise.
    Many gamers build quiet PCs.  In fact, quiet cases are marketed at gamers, not musicians.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    RRabbi
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 923
    Re:Gaming PC vs DAW PC revisited 2011/05/22 20:17:09 (permalink)
    craigb

Yes, I'm sitting here enjoying my Sunday coffee and still thinking ahead to when I can start upgrading my PC's...

Today's question has to do with the actual differences between a gaming PC and a DAW.  I know that a good gaming PC doesn't make a good DAW (mostly due to latency issues?), but is there any reason why a good DAW can't make a good gaming PC?  And, if so, what needs to be added to make a DAW good for gaming as well?  Just a better video card?  Or?

I wonder if the real question is, what makes a computer a good DAW computer? Any computer with a GPU, CPU and RAM that meets the specs of the latest games + fans + appropriate power supply = good gaming computer. To make that also usable for DAW, build it in a quiet case and use quiet fans or water cooling.

When you look at the DAW builders such as Sonica, Rain, ADK, etc., I think one of the advantages of having them build a DAW is they all seem to claim that the PC and o/s configurations have been tested with audio interfaces/DAW software and have rock solid stability. You HAVE to attach a value to that. This is very alluring especially for guys like me who are so fed up with god knows what happening right in the middle of a session with a client or potential client. So embarassing, and all my Mac friends just say "wouldn't happen on a Mac". Gawd.

I tried to do as much research as I could, but whether or not my next PC is going to play nice with the ProFire 2626 + Sonar 8 + Pro Tools 9 is undetermined. When I compare the specs of my build to something similar from a DAW builder, I've saved hundreds of dollars BUT; I'm not taking advantage of the DAW builders' experience so I may still pay a price in the end. Good news is, I will have a fantastic gaming computer either way. :)

Dave

David Yanofsky
    Green Room East - Moncton, NB - CANADA

http://www.greenroomeast.com
    http://www.myspace.com/greenroomeast
    Kev999
    Re:Gaming PC vs DAW PC revisited 2011/05/22 22:39:38 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

In a DAW the video is not as mission critical as it would be in a game. The hi res video is not as important to the DAW user as it would be to the gamer, but that's not to say the DAW user doesn't appreciate hi res video, especially if they are working on music video's.
    I would argue that image quality is more important in a DAW.  I like to see clearly what I am editing and to be able to read small details on plugin GUIs.  Text and numerical displays are very tiny in some cases.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Gaming PC vs DAW PC revisited 2011/05/22 23:15:55 (permalink)
    I have a custom built gaming PC which turned out to be my main DAW.  The case is 2 Ft high by 2 FT long with 7 fans and lots of air flowing through it.  The video card cost somewhere around 400 bucks at the time.  No DAW software is really going to push the graphics card very high whereas you -cannot- play some of the higher end games without an expensive graphic card.  (well unless you put the settings on black and white)

I think graphic cards and cooling choices (due to the heat produced from the graphic cards) are the biggest difference. 

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Gaming PC vs DAW PC revisited 2011/05/23 06:41:02 (permalink)
    Most of the newer, high end, motherboards are all aimed at the gamers.  Most of these make very good DAW system boards.  I'll agree that the high end video cards are not needed for recording, although one that will support dual monitors would be nice. 

Sound/Noise (lack of) seems to be one of the major selling points of "DAW" PC's.  However, I have a "gaming" case, an Antec Ninehundred, and with all it's fans it's still quiet.  I can record a vocal 3 foot from the PC (and maybe closer) and there is no "PC noise" in the vocal track.

My old (old in PC technology) Q6600 system works great for Sonar. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:Gaming PC vs DAW PC revisited 2011/05/23 09:43:41 (permalink)
    craigb

yes just a better video card the 500 series nVidia are very quiet. we sell a good amount of them in DAWs for guys who are corss platform (audio and video)
    a 570 would be more than good enough for games and still be quiet.
    obviously need a good power supply to drive that..
    thought you were going to call?

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    craigb
    Re:Gaming PC vs DAW PC revisited 2011/05/23 10:27:12 (permalink)
    Hi Scott, yes, I will be calling.  We've been (over)working all last week to prepare for a huge tradeshow going on this week.  Now that I have the corporate office to myself I'll have some time to call during the week.

IK Obi
    Re:Gaming PC vs DAW PC revisited 2011/05/23 15:57:40 (permalink)
    Kev999

Many gamers build quiet PCs.  In fact, quiet cases are marketed at gamers, not musicians.

Wow I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday.
    Kev999
    Re:Gaming PC vs DAW PC revisited 2011/05/23 20:26:55 (permalink)
    IK Obi
    Sorry if I misunderstood.  I thought you were implying that noise was not an issue for gamers.  My mistake.
    post edited by Kev999 - 2011/05/23 21:09:56

Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Gaming PC vs DAW PC revisited 2011/05/23 23:41:13 (permalink)

Today's question has to do with the actual differences between a gaming PC and a DAW. I know that a good gaming PC doesn't make a good DAW (mostly due to latency issues?), but is there any reason why a good DAW can't make a good gaming PC? And, if so, what needs to be added to make a DAW good for gaming as well? Just a better video card? Or?

Go with a nice GTX 560Ti
    • Works fine in a DAW
    • Works well for games
    • Supported by the Mercury engine in Premier CS 5.5 (hardware assisted rendering)
    • Supports hardware assisted rendering with Vegas
    • Not outrageously expensive

If you'll be using the machine for DAW and Game purposes, it's important to be diligent in keeping the machine as lean/mean as possible.  ie: Don't let the machine get "fouled up" with extraneous background applets
    Always make sure to have an up-to-date backup image file.  Not only is it good for safety purposes... but it's also a nice/clean way to ensure any unwanted demos/etc are completely/fully "removed".  No worries about messy uninstall routines leaving 1001 remnants behind...  (Perfect for those times where you might want to demo a package like Adobe Production Premium CS 5.5 - where the uninstall would leave a major mess)

BTW, I also wanted to add that putting noisy components into a "quiet" case is not the answer for a quiet DAW.
    Using quiet components combined with a quiet case is much more effective.  
    post edited by Jim Roseberry - 2011/05/23 23:52:45

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    IK Obi
    Re:Gaming PC vs DAW PC revisited 2011/05/24 20:32:14 (permalink)
    Kev999

IK Obi
    Sorry if I misunderstood.  I thought you were implying that noise was not an issue for gamers.  My mistake.

Nope and no worries. :)

gracypetro
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Gaming PC vs DAW PC revisited 2011/06/20 03:55:45 (permalink)
    It depends what kind of games you like. Some games need more CPU then GPU power. I think a computer could do both well. The thing about the gambling boxes is the audio card is usually crappy when it comes to recording.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1