Opinions wanted from DAW-building gurus on these "tips"

Author
craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
2011/05/23 22:47:03 (permalink)

Opinions wanted from DAW-building gurus on these "tips"

Here's a few "tips" I've heard and wanted to pass by the DAW-building gurus to see if they agree or not.  I've removed all conversational filler to make these into separate points.  This started from a typical "Make sure your motherboard has the TI chipset on it or consider getting a TI chipset card" type of comment on another forum.  Anyway, here are the points:

1) The best thing to do is buy a firewire card, preferably one that is PCIE, and also, one that does not implement a PCI bridge.  

2) The PLX chip is better than TI, but even better than buying a card for a specific chipset, is eliminating the PCI bridge on the card.  

3) VIA firewire chips no longer suck.  Basically most firewire chips are good enough, but the implementation is where things get messed up.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!

3 Replies Related Threads

Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Opinions wanted from DAW-building gurus on these "tips" 2011/05/23 23:31:58 (permalink)
    The best way to approach the issue is to choose the best possible motherboard.  
    If you can get that unit with TI chipset Firewire, go for it.
    If not, add a quality TI chipset FW controller.

Real-world, it doesn't matter whether you use PCIe, PCI, or onboard.
    Assuming quality units, you'll achieve the same results either way...
    IOW:  Going with PCIe (or onboard) will not allow you to achieve lower latency.

As to whether a Via Firewire controller will work well...
    Totally depends on which Via controller... and the audio interface it's paired with.
    Go TI... and you've tremendously reduced the odds of having a problem.
    Almost every time you see somone having issues with a Firewire audio interface, they're not using a TI chipset controller.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:Opinions wanted from DAW-building gurus on these "tips" 2011/05/24 08:27:14 (permalink)
    +1

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re:Opinions wanted from DAW-building gurus on these "tips" 2011/05/24 12:36:15 (permalink)
    Good to know.  I left out the comment that these tips supposedly came from a "genius DAW-building audio engineer" (at least according to the person who mentioned them) - the term "genius" seems to get thrown out there a bit too much...

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1