This thread has moved. Thanks to all who replied.

Author
GuitarBob
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 60
2011/05/23 23:17:03 (permalink)

This thread has moved. Thanks to all who replied.

Disregard this thread, I am starting a more relevant thread about this song.

This is a work in progress. Sorry.

This link will no longer work. I'm starting a new thread with a new version with many other things added to this. Thanks to all who replied. I just feel a  new thread is called for given the fact I don't sing.

BTW: I used to be called Serious Noize! But I had a problem logging in after I changed my email so I had to create a new user name "GuitarBob".  I wasn't banned, I just had problems that I could'nt resolve. Sorry..

Bobby

My Website - The Cyberspace Planet!

post edited by GuitarBob - 2011/05/25 01:06:41

11 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Storms Of Life ( A VERY RUFF TAKE- Just A RESTART) 2011/05/24 02:03:20 (permalink)
    Hey Bobby, you've got some fun stuff going on here.
    As you noted, it's a rough take, so no crits on the mix.
    It will be interesting to see how this one develops.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    GuitarBob
    Re:Storms Of Life ( A VERY RUFF TAKE- Just A RESTART) 2011/05/24 02:23:45 (permalink)
    RobertB

Hey Bobby, you've got some fun stuff going on here.
    As you noted, it's a rough take, so no crits on the mix.
    It will be interesting to see how this one develops.

Thanks, I can hear the sounds not being the way I hear them. "WOW, being an 80's guitar player that is something I never thought I would say".

I know the drums are a bit crazy for now.

I'll tell ya right now, I used my pod farm VST's for guitars and I need to tone down the guitars so they want be so much saturated. 

I'm not sure about the bass, it sounds pretty close to me?

It's really hard for me to do a tune like this, mostly because it was done at 430 tuning years ago and not 440 like it is here. OR THAT IS IT IS SUPPOSED TO ABE ACCORDING TO ELECTRONIC TUNERS!

I know the drums are a bit crazy. Without vocals it's kinda hard for anyone to tell what should be where, I understand that.

I hope the singer I have in mind for this replies and wants to work with me on this tune, I sent him an email, we shall see. I'll give it 2 weeks and if not I"ll add vox myself.

I have so many tunes I can come up with. When I first started playing guitar all I had was a keyboard with one of those click the drum things, and I  made up stuff over and over and over alongside that old keyboard before it failed to work anymore. The good thing is I have so many idea's yet to come about that it's crazy.

Thanks for taking the time to listen RobertB., I appreciate it!

Bobby

radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:Storms Of Life ( A VERY RUFF TAKE- Just A RESTART) 2011/05/24 03:13:23 (permalink)
    Hi Bobby , I'm not going to make any solid comments , ok lets start over again .
    I took a second listen and here is my take on your song , the drums sound ok but they need to be retuned unless you like this sound .
    When I listen to your drum track they sound sort muddy sounding , the fills in my opinion could be better and those little shaker sounds you threw in there well what can I say out of time .
    I would leave those out , edit your drums sounds in your drum kit if you can do that .

As a WIP song I think your heading in the right direction but honestly I would work on the drum track .
    Your guitar playing sounds great , hope I didn't spoil the party here with your song I like your song  .

Radio
    post edited by radio - 2011/05/24 12:09:56

guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Storms Of Life ( A VERY RUFF TAKE- Just A RESTART) 2011/05/24 08:12:44 (permalink)
    Bobby - that sounds really good.  It'l be interesting to hear what you do with the guitar tone in the future.  I also use pod farm.   I like the drum sounds.
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Storms Of Life ( A VERY RUFF TAKE- Just A RESTART) 2011/05/24 11:34:10 (permalink)
    Hi Bobby , fun tune this. 

Greetings, Rik
    GuitarBob
    Re:Storms Of Life ( A VERY RUFF TAKE- Just A RESTART) 2011/05/24 14:06:47 (permalink)
    Radio - Thanks James, your right they do sound muddy, I've tried mixing them without any luck. All I have to use is Studio Drums 1, TTS-1, and Session Drummer 2. LOL, I know they are overkill, I'm going to change them. I'm trying to get out of this habit I have of hitting the snare too much for song changes, either that or a high to low drum roll or low to high. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Just trying something different. Thanks again

guitartrek - Thanks, I really like Pod Farm, I use a toneport kb37 and I didn't realize what the off/on pad button was for until about a year ago, that makes a huge difference when using presets.  Have you tried Amplitube 3 Free?  I posted a link in the Software forum if your interested. Their are a lot of good free amps and effects with the VST you can use to record with, it even has a 4 track recorder built in. Thanks again

morenoise - Thanks Rik, this is going to sound totally different when I update it again. I didn't EQ anything and I am going to make some adjustments on the guitar sounds since I recorded them using a VST, I think they sound a bit too saturated. Thanks again

GuitarBob

philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Storms Of Life ( A VERY RUFF TAKE- Just A RESTART) 2011/05/24 16:39:02 (permalink)
    Bobby's back... again

Nice track, but you always have nice tracks.  I'm not as sharp on drums as James, but the kit you used sounded kinda' dead to me... sorry, I don't know how else to describe it.

Also I have to ask if you recorded your guitar differently.  Your playing is great, as always, but the tone didn't seem to have that low end drive I recall, but, I dunno', maybe it's just me. 

Neat stuff though.  One of these days we'll get you to do some lyrics and start singing.
    GuitarBob
    Re:Storms Of Life ( A VERY RUFF TAKE- Just A RESTART) 2011/05/24 18:07:00 (permalink)
    philz

Bobby's back... again

Nice track, but you always have nice tracks.  I'm not as sharp on drums as James, but the kit you used sounded kinda' dead to me... sorry, I don't know how else to describe it.

Also I have to ask if you recorded your guitar differently.  Your playing is great, as always, but the tone didn't seem to have that low end drive I recall, but, I dunno', maybe it's just me. 

Neat stuff though.  One of these days we'll get you to do some lyrics and start singing.

Thanks Philz, your right, they do sound dead. Every set I've tried with Session Drummer 2 always sound dead or has too much pop sound in them even without changing them. I'm not sure if it's because they don't fit the type of music I'm playing or what's going on there. I've used them on other stuff and they sounded fine. I'm thinking about going back to using loops, but the only problem with that is most of them come with reverb and compression already added so what you hear is what you get using those, most of them that is, the few that I have.

Yeah I done something different on the guitars, I'm going to change them, I am convinced I added too much distortion to them. I also used the same Amp setup left and right, so they are probably cancelling each other out to a degree, it's two different and seperate tracks. Since I recorded them using the pod farm VST I can go back and change the setup on them, that's the one thing I like the best about using the pod vst.

Your right about the drums, they sound like a set that needs new skins on them. I might try adding some loop drums on this if I can, if not maybe TTS-1 drums. The Studio Drums 1 that came with MC5 seem to have too much width to their sound for me.

I guess it's all a matter of what type of sound your working with as to which drum set works and doesn't work.

Thanks again,

GuitarBob

rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Storms Of Life ( A VERY RUFF TAKE- Just A RESTART) 2011/05/24 18:30:56 (permalink)
    Hey Bobby, when you say a WIP, does that mean you adding words or working on it as a colab with someone? There are parts that seemed to wander a bit to me (2:50 to 3:04), but I hear what you're trying to do with the general theme and changing it up there. I would recommend just a bridge of some kind there instead. Most parts were good, but it would feel less repetitious without a singer and or a break, or a lead? I think it would be much better with that added. It gives me a Boston vibe, which is a good thing. 

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    twisted6s
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2001
    Re:Storms Of Life ( A VERY RUFF TAKE- Just A RESTART) 2011/05/24 19:56:34 (permalink)
    "What do you want to do with your life?"   "I WANNA ROCK!!!"

Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 ghz processor, 8 gig ram, 2.5Tb drives, Sonar Platinum, Lynx L22, FMR Audio RNP & RNC, Mackie HR824, Neumann tlm 103, Window 10 64
    https://soundcloud.com/twisted6s/sets/tony-pruden

GuitarBob
    Re:Storms Of Life ( A VERY RUFF TAKE- Just A RESTART) 2011/05/25 23:16:25 (permalink)
    twisted6s

"What do you want to do with your life?"   "I WANNA ROCK!!!"

You sir are one of the class acts of these forums, and I would have considered it an honor to have had the opportunity to work with you on these forums.

I wish you the best always, and I hope you get a record deal, if not I hope you can make your own label and start selling music yourself.

You are that damn good!!!! Best of luck!!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1