Ducked Delay

Author
aaronuws
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2011/05/25 05:57:54 (permalink)

Ducked Delay

I want do create a ducked delay, and when i do all I get is the last split second delaying, and no audio until the last not.. How can I achieve the ducking, without removing all the sound on the track except the last bit of the release note?

Hopefully someone understands my request. I am sure its something stupid that I an not doing. Thanks in advance!

4 Replies Related Threads

Frank Haas
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2490
    Re:Ducked Delay 2011/05/25 06:17:54 (permalink)
    I am not quite sure I understand what you've done and what is working/not working.

You'd insert a buss("DELAYBUSS") with a Delay (100% WET) followed by the VC64-compressor. (you might change the order to whatever fits/sounds best)
    On the track you insert a "send" and connect it with the VC64-compressor (I don't know how it is shown,.. probably something like "VC64 DELAYBUSS IN-1".. you'll see it.
    Enable that send. Within the VC64 you need to enable the compressor and the "key" button.. set a ratio of at least 3:1 with a short attack time and a short release.. press the "GR" button to see how much gainreduction is taking place and set the threshold corresondingly.
    I guess a gain reduction of 3-4dB should get you in the ballpark for a decent ducking effect.. you might want to go for around 10dB gr. 
    set the overall delay level with the volumefader of that delay-buss

if you want a more drastic sound then you probably have to use automation on the delay buss instead of sidechaining..
    post edited by Frank Haas - 2011/05/25 06:24:30
    aaronuws
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:Ducked Delay 2011/05/25 07:09:28 (permalink)
    Thank You Frank! I appreciate the quick response! It seems easier to do it via automation, (and thats the best way to achieve the sound I want) but its not always as easy for live mixing. I was side-chaining to "TRY" and achieve the effect, ...so, I guess the way I was doing it, ( and as your suggestion states), is the best way. 

Thank you! Have a great day! :-)
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:Ducked Delay 2011/05/29 12:21:43 (permalink)
    You could also clone your track and slip edit out everything you don't want in the delay.  Or I may be misunderstanding the question.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Ducked Delay 2011/05/30 06:45:29 (permalink)
    aaronuws

I want do create a ducked delay, and when i do all I get is the last split second delaying, and no audio until the last not.. How can I achieve the ducking, without removing all the sound on the track except the last bit of the release note?

Hopefully someone understands my request. I am sure its something stupid that I an not doing. Thanks in advance!

That's actually what a ducked delay is and does, aa. You don't hear it until the last note because the delay is "ducked" during the passage. Maybe this isn't the technique you want to use for the song? In all my years I've not heard a ducked delay or verb that didn't just sound out on the last note of the passage. It's not supposed to be present during the passage at all. You should be able to adjust it though if you want to hear a little of it during the passage. What delay are you using? How are you making it "duck"?

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1