Helpful ReplyStereo Widening (Producers Please)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
skullsession
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1765
Re:Stereo Widening (Producers Please) 2011/06/05 14:47:55 (permalink)
I'm just saying, we shouldn't equate dynamic playing and song arrangement to the use of automated "volume envelopes".  They're not the same things.

Dynamic performance can change everything about the voice of an instrument...timbre, tone, attack, etc....adding emotion to the dynamic changes.

Volume changes at the mix stage just don't take a sound to the same place....in my opinion.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
Re:Stereo Widening (Producers Please) 2011/06/05 17:16:00 (permalink)
Philip

5) Stereo-vocs in chorus only, mono-vox during verses ... with more ear relaxation/recovery available during the mono-vox verses.

Gotta disagree with you on this one, Philip. I hate when the vocal is so mono up the middle, it strikes me as boring...I throw a processed vocal send to an Aux Bus and just add a wide channel tool setting to give it some life.
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:Stereo Widening (Producers Please) 2011/06/06 00:45:29 (permalink)
Hook: Very well; emotive dynamics, that indeed makes better traditional sense than my generalized "volume automation envelopes".

James: Its Mono-vocal in the middle plus mild delay/reverb send (80-100% LT or RT):

I've interpretted Danny's logic about keeping the verbs close to the mono-voc: These are not completely mono-phonic vocs (depending on genre and number of talents), just relatively so.  I've felt Bob Oister's latest offering was not boring, and his vox was centered and quite monophonic ... despite his judicious delay/verb tails.

... i.e., With my psychedelia mixes (like Ascension that I 'fixed' today)

1) I now prefer Oister's technique ... a 'hint' of wide-stereo delay/reverb during verses ... yet to my ears, it seems relatively monophonic, IMHO.  (There is a happy medium with gradation degrees of mono vs stereo). 

2) Then, a whole smattering of Haas effects (widest delays and widened multi-vocs) during the chorus and special hooks. (mucho stereo with choir vocs exploiting the panorama)

... but with my hip-hop mixes, which lack verse and chorus, I'm with you.  I try to keep many of the vox tracks pretentiously compressed, phat and wide ... to keep the dance/skating consistent.

I've got a lot to learn.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
jerotas
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 439
Re:Stereo Widening (Producers Please) 2011/06/06 04:08:22 (permalink)
spindlebox

I've found this Haas Delay plugin which really does a nice job; but I just use it on guitar tracks so far.

http://www.vescofx.com/vfxFreeHaas

It can be really beautiful used carefully.  Give it a shot.

Another trick I've learned is to pan something hard left for example, and hit it with a delay, and throw the delay over to hard right.  Vice versa for a similar instrument.  It really opens things up.  In fact, I do this instead of Reverb in some cases.

Yeah I read about the HAAS trick quite a bit and was excited to try this free plugin. I've done it manually and didn't like the results. I also didn't like the results of this plugin. Maybe I just don't like HAAS period. Sounds phasey and weird to me no matter how short or long I make the delay.

For wideners, my fave 2 plugins are Waves Imager and Crysonic Sindo. Sindo is better but it doesn't have a manual. Very strange.

The main instrument I use widening on is heavy rhythm guitar.  Well, I should say that's the only instrument I wider to more than 100% stereo. I use a widener plugin to narrow snare reverb  down to 70% and stuff like that to clean up the mix as well.
I also try to use the widener in Ozone on the master bus, but most often do not use it as it sounds weird to me and screws with the mix.
post edited by jerotas - 2011/06/06 04:11:40

"he who still has all his marbles hasn't flicked them around enough"
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:Stereo Widening (Producers Please) 2011/06/06 13:29:23 (permalink)
LOL Philip, I couldn't help but smile while reading some of the stuff you've posted in my regard....I'd hug ya if I saw ya! :) Thanks man. much appreciated.

Well, I think you have the right idea on this stuff. To be honest, as long as something is audible and not phased or "beyond the stereo field" as some of these wideners seem to do, you're right where you need to be. I also like where you're going with the whole dynamics thing, but you also may be over-thinking it a bit. Here's a good scenario for you to think about.

Let's say we have a vocal going on for a verse that has the Sonar vocal strip on it. We add the doubler in that plug to it, but we don't go too crazy and then we add a Sonitus verb or an impulse using a small room verb on it. Just enough to give it some ambience. We add a PSP or Waves S-1 at the end and adjust it to taste.

Now, when the chorus kicks in, you will most likely have some back up vocals going on in there. You have a choice here. You make the lead vocal become an entity with the back up vocals so it it's nice and tight, or you leave the lead vocal a bit out front and have the back ups reinforcing it. Either way will work. But to make each way work correctly, we have to make some changes for impact.

If we will allow the lead vocals to become one with the back ups, it would be a wise decision to run automation on the widener so that the simulation of wideness on the lead vocal does not walk into the field of the back ups. So we should shrink the size of the lead vocal a bit in the chorus part. This way, the lead vocal will sit in its perch and the back ups will fill in the space in between forming an entity.

Now let's try this using the other method I talked about. We now want the lead vocals to stick out a bit more and have the back ups reinforce here. Let's say for our back up vocals, we will record each high, mid and low 3 times a piece. The trick here though, is to only record the part that falls on the lead vocal harmony, 2 times and allow the lead vocal to be the 3rd time. This way we don't over-power the vocal harmony with "the melody".

So we record high, mid and low...these will be the left side harmonies. We then record high, mid and low for the right side. We'll then record high and low only...these will be the centered back ups that will be with the lead vocal as the "mid".

Ok, from here we send the left and right vocals to a bus if we want to, or we process the them on their track effects bins and freeze if need be. I still like to send them to a bus though so we can then process the whole lot as an entity, but if you choose not to, that's ok too.

Next we work with what will be our centered vocals. We want the lead vocal "middle" part to stand out a bit. So what we will do here is (keep in mind, we are still processing this vocal like I mentioned with the Vocal Strip enhancements) add a delay to the lead vocal. This delay will be in time with the bpm of the song. Let's say the song is at 120 bpm. We want this delay to be a longer delay because we want to enhance some delay tails on the chorus to make it appear that we are holding out notes a bit longer than we really are. We will only fly the delay in on tails via automation. We want a 500ms delay tail on the left. We don't want a ping pong, but we want a slight spread on this delay because the widener is going to enhance it further outwards and give some impact to those delay tails. So we set the right side at 510 or 512 maybe 515. The reason being, it will just spread things enough yet will not bring on the ping pong thing.

Now we mix in the centered high and low back ups and get a good mix. Once we add in the others we did along with these, you'll hear the lead vocal out front, but the supporting vocals will be right there enhancing about 50% of the pan field. The delay tails we created will stretch out just passed the back up vocals as long as we keep those back ups that are panned left/right to about 40%. The tails of that delay will make a nice impact on the chorus parts and the lead vocal will still have a nice, thick sound that is slightly wider than the center where it is actually panned.

This method also works well if we send the back up vocals to a bus like I had mentioned, and then throw on the Vocal Strip using the doubler....compress the bus, eq it, and then use something like Clone Ensemble or Crowd Chamber with another stereo widener at the end of the chain there. The cool thing there is we will have processed wider vocals left/right and our down the middle back ups along with the lead vocal keeping the center field in tact. The high and low on the center pan field will be much lower in level because we just want a little something there. We don't want them to be dominant. You could also process them exactly like the lead vocal minus the delay or even add the delay for fun or effect "stand-out" purposes. There are no rules really.

But stuff like this is really going to make an incredible difference. The thing to keep in mind here with any widener is, it is always best to use a widener that allows for frequency control. That's what I like about the PSP, Q-Tools and the Waves Matrix. They give you frequency control over how the wideness processes instead of just dropping something on like the Sonitus Phase. The more control we have with things like this, the better off we are.

If I've lost you (or anyone else) on this stuff, please feel free to ask me and I'll do my best to help you out. :)

rockinrobby: I'd love to show some in depth examples of the stuff I talk about. Unfortunately, it's a little time consuming which is why part of my business is creating in depth recording videos on stuff like this. You see how much I type covering some of this stuff...when I do a video, I'm talking while showing it all. I show how to create/execute a technique in full, explain it, and then you see how it works with video in real time. I even mix people's songs for them via video from the ground up showing what, where and why something is what it is as well as all the problem areas in between. I take the teaching thing VERY serious and most times a video for mixing an entire song is 10 or more 30 minute long videos as I cover each instrument from the ground up. It's a pretty intense learning experience and thankfully I've done quite well with it. I used to create vids of this nature and give them out for free and had some on Youtube, but I felt it was best to remove them because, well, when you have a business, time is money and creating things of this nature can be extremely time consuming cutting into time that could be spent on client work. Not to mention, the video rendering takes nearly double the amount of time (for high resolution) it takes to create the thing and you lose a machine during rendering due to the power needed to render. Until technology can come up with a faster way to render vids, I'm stuck talking about techniques unless someone contacts me for a lesson. LOL! :)
post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/06/06 13:33:08

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:Stereo Widening (Producers Please) 2011/06/06 15:30:45 (permalink)
skullsession

I'm just saying, we shouldn't equate dynamic playing and song arrangement to the use of automated "volume envelopes".  They're not the same things.

Dynamic performance can change everything about the voice of an instrument...timbre, tone, attack, etc....adding emotion to the dynamic changes.

Volume changes at the mix stage just don't take a sound to the same place....in my opinion.

You are very correct on this!

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:Stereo Widening (Producers Please) 2011/06/08 10:56:21 (permalink)
Well, without drifting too much,

Danny, its taking me 3 days (several instances) to read and absorb -- ha ha!

Doubtless I'll employ my 64-bit versions of your Waves stuff; namely izotope alloy, nectar, etc. 

Such instant control of widening/EQ/compression/delay/reverb (etc.), of course, leads to preset-crutches ... another topic.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1