Total computer music beginner

Author
superted
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2011/06/04 07:37:09 (permalink)

Total computer music beginner

Hi Guys,

Hoping you can give me some advice for starting out in the big wide world of computer music!  Im a guitar player, and up till now recording my songs has been on hardware (boss br900), but I want to be able to add more such as other instruments (im thinking strings and that kinda thing) and have more control, and basically add a lot more things to my songs.  I've read other topics in here but I think some of the recommended software/computer components may be over kill for my needs. 

Basically I will only be recording 1 actual instrument at a time (bass / guitar / vocals).  I'd like to use a midi controller to play the virtual instruments, and use software for doing the drum beats.

I've jumped the gun a bit and bought a mini controller (ESI 49XT), so now I just need the computer and software/extras.  I've got a laptop but I'd like a desktop specially for my music.  I've had a look at the different DAWs and I like the sound of Cakewalk Sonar X1 Essential,  but I have no idea if thats a good choice for my needs and I dont really know what kinda things I need for plugging my guitars in for recording and what sound card and how much ram I need or processer etc.  I dont need it to be over the top, but I'd like it to do the above comfortably and not lag at all when Im using the midi controller etc.

Sorry for such a long question, its just I wanted to give enough background to help with the advice.

Any advice or suggestions would be great,

Thanks a lot :D

Ed

3 Replies Related Threads

whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:Total computer music beginner 2011/06/04 08:12:36 (permalink)

Hi Ed,

There is better people on here to give you advice but here is what I can offer;

firstly you will need an interface, a simple one if that is what your budget offers, either usb or firewire. Youll Need one that has a line input for your guitar and and midi ports also to hook up your keyboard. One of the most cost effective interface is the edirol ua4fx which I have used solidly so far,has basically everything to get you started ~(including some guitar effects), although only one source can be recorded at a time as you have stated,you will be surprised after a while how you will start looking for more inputs/outputs! so get what your budget will stretch to.

in relation to software, Ive only ordered x1producer and havnt tried it out yet (been using home studio 6, which has everything except some high end polishing tools) so others here will tell you how the essential version works,either way it will have the tools you need,but there will be weeks of learning involved (be prepared for that!

Computer, for what you say you want to do then a laptop will suffice, although the new specs for sonar x1 recommend minimum dual core 2.4 ghz which I would suggest you look for whether it laptop or desktop. most stock computers should have a good deal of ram packaged with them now to suffice,but if its a cheap option to upgrade to more,then you wont regret it.

What you are looking to record (i.e a few midi/audio tracks) would not require too much power. But the most important equipment is your interface/soundcard, everyone will tell you that.

Cian
    post edited by whack - 2011/06/04 08:16:51

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    superted
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Total computer music beginner 2011/06/05 04:55:27 (permalink)
    Thanks for your advice Cian!

Sounds like it may not be quite as expensive as I was expecting (dreading!?) :)

Any ideas when it comes to operating systems?  Does windows 7 run the cakewalk stuff without any problems or is it better getting the previous version of windows?  How does it fare with other software?

Cheers,

Ed
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Total computer music beginner 2011/06/05 07:38:25 (permalink)
    what's your budget?

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1