Developer Question: Project lifecycle software extension

Author
gedulous
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2011/06/06 06:02:24 (permalink)

Developer Question: Project lifecycle software extension

Hi folks,

I'm trying to find out if it's possible to extend the Sonar X1 shell with something along the lines of a Microsoft Team Foundation Server project add-in to help manage the tracking and delivery of work items, and to allow audio projects (and ideally, individual audio files) to be checked in and out of some kind of binary file repository.

If anyone has had any experience with writing add-ins that intercept the standard file dialogs in Sonar, I'd be interested in finding out how they went about that.  Likewise, if there's an API for developing add-ins for SONAR other than the VST/VSTi and corresponding Direct-X equivalents I'd be interested in finding out more.

The vision I'm working towards is to build a full project life-cycle management utility that allows professional producers to assign specific tasks out to other collaborators and to be able to view real-time progress reports on where each task is at.

For example, a producer might work with 3 studio engineers, a mix engineer, a mastering engineer, session musicians, artists, graphic designers, a tour promoter, an A&R person from a label and four or five different video production companies to coordinate all the activities required to go from having a batch of individual tracks recorded  to finding their way onto the market.  There are a number of steps that a recording project of this scope needs to go through: 
  • Raw tracks are recorded and added to individual audio projects
  • Tracks are normalized, time-synched, EQ'd, phase aligned, etc.
  • Tracks have dynamics and effects processing done on them 
  • A rough-mix is compiled for each track and sent off to session musicians to add their own respective contributions.
  • The project could then be level-mixed, rough-mastered, then sent to the A&R guy to guage the label's interest and returned with comments that contribute to the final mix.
  • Final mix happens
  • If A&R are happy with the final mix, they go through the steps required for signoff and contracting
  • Album artwork is commissioned and goes through its own approval cycle
  • Budgets are approved for music videos to be commissioned and approved for release to TV stations
  • Radio station previews and release occur
  • CD, DVD and electronic store-front production/distribution takes place
  • Physical media is transported to wholesale and/or retail sales partners
  • Tour promoters in multiple territories are engaged to arrange venues, equipment, touring contractors, transport, etc... in order to promote the new album and corresponding back-catalog sales.
  • Once all this is done, the producer can take a break and enjoy a cuppa and a nice lie down.
There's a lot of work items here.  Consider that each individual track could quite easily get to hundreds of work items on their own, and that's a good enough reason to want a formal work item management and tracking solution.  Expand this out to the scope of an album and tour and you're closer to the tens of thousands of work items that need to be tracked and managed.

Tools such as TFS allow for the creation of highly tailored work item templates, which could be adapted quite easily for the purposes of music production and promotion.  This is because the assets of an audio project really aren't all that different to those in a code project - they both require version/configuration management and work item tracking to be done effectively.

With my background in data architecture and business software development, I think I'm well placed to build this kind of solution, but if anyone else wants to contribute or point me in the right direction to do the SONAR-specific tool integration, I'm more than happy to take whatever help I can get.

Cheers

Jeremy Huppatz
Solitaire Systems
http://news.solitairesystems.com.au/

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1