Helpful ReplyI need information on the Cakewalk UA-1G usb

Author
ezraedlund
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2011/06/07 13:33:27 (permalink)

I need information on the Cakewalk UA-1G usb

A few weeks ago i tried to use Sonar X1 on my laptop, but the playback wouldn't work because, i guess, my sound card wasn't "High End" enough.

So I've been using FL Studio, which seems to work fine, but it's not nearly as good, so I wanted to get the Cakewalk UA-1G usb Audio Interface, and from what I've seen, it deosn't work on anything but Cakewalk products.

So what I was wondering, is the UA-1G equipped with a sound card or if it uses something else, or would I still have to replace my sound card.

Sorry if this is confusing, but if someone could help that would be awesome.
Chappel
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2300
Re:I need information on the Cakewalk UA-1G usb 2011/06/07 22:02:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
 I own and use the Cakewalk UA-1G. it is a basic USB audio interface that should work with any software that will run on Windows. It can also be used as the default Windows Recording and Playback devices if that's what you want. I'm curious as to where you got the idea it would only work for Cakewalk products.

The UA-1G can only operate at one Sample Rate at a time because it is selected by a switch. If you want to use it for both Windows sounds AND Sonar you will have to disable its advanced drivers and be limited to the 44.1 Sample Rate. I would suggest continuing to use your laptop sound as the default Windows playback device (video, mp3, YouTube, etc) and using the UA-1G only with recording software. Unless you have a mixer this may require two sets of speakers.

There is plenty of information about it available on the Cakewalk site as well as many other sites. Here is its manufacturer's page.

Roland (Cakewalk) UA-1G

The UA-1G doesn't come equipped with a Sound Card, it is the same thing as a Sound Card. A sound card is an internal Audio Interface that fits into a slot in the motherboard. That's why it is called a sound CARD.

The UA-1G is an external Audio Interface. Both convert analog audio signals into a digital signal that the computer can work with. That's why they are called audio Interfaces. They interface analog and digital so the computer can be used with analog audio devices.

It has become somewhat common for people to use the term Sound Card instead of Audio Interface so it's easy to get confused. All Sound Cards are audio interfaces, but not all Audio Interfaces are Sound Cards.

The UA-1G does the same thing as the Audio Interface built into your laptop... but a lot better.
post edited by Chappel - 2011/06/07 22:10:06
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:I need information on the Cakewalk UA-1G usb 2011/06/09 12:46:44 (permalink)
I have one and it works for me on the laptop.

Don't need it for the DAW.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1