mixing tips

Author
mr first
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20
2011/06/08 13:42:15 (permalink)

mixing tips

hi
i read in a magazine recentley that you should mix everything in audio is that correct so should i convert all my midi parts to audio

thanx

20 Replies Related Threads

dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:mixing tips 2011/06/08 14:49:27 (permalink)
    I like to leave things as MIDI as long as I can until there starts to be a strain on my CPU.  To me, as I'm mixing I usually end up tweaking things with MIDI (velocity, samples, etc) that can't be adjusted after it's mixed down to audio.  
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:mixing tips 2011/06/08 14:56:16 (permalink)
    A lot depends on what your computer can do before it starts showing signs of strain. One popular option is to freeze soft synths. That bounces the track down to audio, including the FX bin, but only temporarily. While frozen, the tracks can be treated like standard audio tracks. But if you want to make changes to the midi you can unfreeze the track.
    batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:mixing tips 2011/06/08 15:25:41 (permalink)
    don't mix until you're through tracking.

making arrangement changes and tweaking midi info is still 'tracking' in my book.

then when ready to mix, freeze synths. 

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

mtgonzalez
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 249
    Re:mixing tips 2011/06/08 15:42:49 (permalink)
    I've made that mistake, we always want to mix before we've finish tracking. Cakewalk should have a NON-TWEAKING feature where it won't allow you to make any edits until you're done tracking basic drum/guitar/bass/vocals. That might sell one copy

Win 10 - 64-bit - Intel Core I5 3.3GHz 
    1TB HD 500 GB SSD - 8GB Ram - 7200RPM
    X3 Producer & Sonar Platinum
    www.mtgrecordingstudio.com
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:mixing tips 2011/06/08 16:05:36 (permalink)
    I do some basic mixing along the way as I'm tracking. I don't think there's anything wrong with that so long as you don't get distracted  and get stuck there. I even put in my Ozone4 plug in the master bus so it sounds better. I think the better it sounds the more inspired I am to work and play with the song.

I will insert envelopes in a track so the proper instruments are playing or not playing. I drop verbs in, compression, and whatever else I think it will need to sound good. Even in the tracking stages. Good sounding music inspires me to play better.

As far as midi & synths. the main reason to work in audio is for the effects you can use.

Freezing a synth also reduces the load on the processor. If you have a multi synth project running at 45% and you freeze the synths, that load can drop to 10% or less. I will freeze a synth but before I mix I will BOUNCE TO TRACK on the synth then move the midi and synth track to the bottom of the project AND ARCHIVE the tracks. that also removes them from processing, while leaving all routing in tact. I then work solely with the bounced audio track. If I find I still need to edit that track I can easily un-archive the track, make edits and bounce it again.

I will bounce FX too...like melodyne.... when I get the track right..... heck yeah, I'm gonna bounce that track and archive or even delete the original track and the plug.... why not since it is now perfect and I'm not going back to the old out of tune vocal track, ever.

I tend to delete tracks that I'm done with, like vocals before melodyne, and tracks that didn't make it to the final mix. I ain't skert. If I recorded them one time before, I can do them again, and likely better the second time, if I need them.

By the time I get to the mixing stage, when all the tracks are done, it's just a matter of fine tuning the mix and adding the final polish to the mix as a whole.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/06/08 16:07:00

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:mixing tips 2011/06/08 18:34:48 (permalink)
    +1 on Herb's post.

I think it all depends on what you're doing. If you have a band, with an arrangement worked out, and are just tracking, then absolutely don't do much with the mix. On the other hand, if you are like the vast majority of Sonar users out there, you are by yourself, so do whatever it takes mix-wise for you to finish tracking.

Shoot, a lot of times when I am mixing, I notice things that need to be re-done or need to be added. Most of my mixes contain an element that was not there a day before the final mix.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:mixing tips 2011/06/08 23:50:26 (permalink)
    Freeze the synth if you want, and archive the midi so you can go back to it.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:mixing tips 2011/06/09 06:20:16 (permalink)
    Chappel

A lot depends on what your computer can do before it starts showing signs of strain. One popular option is to freeze soft synths. That bounces the track down to audio, including the FX bin, but only temporarily. While frozen, the tracks can be treated like standard audio tracks. But if you want to make changes to the midi you can unfreeze the track.

I'm sure there's an option which allows you to exclude whatever's in your Fx bin from the freeze.

In fact I'm sure this is the default option. I bloody well hope so because I've always got Fx in the audio track prior to  freezing and if these were applied to the track upon freezing and I'm not noticing the difference, I may as well give this up now.

Clarification would be extremely useful at this point.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Chappel
    Re:mixing tips 2011/06/09 07:02:49 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

Chappel

I'm sure there's an option which allows you to exclude whatever's in your Fx bin from the freeze.

In fact I'm sure this is the default option. I bloody well hope so because I've always got Fx in the audio track prior to  freezing and if these were applied to the track upon freezing and I'm not noticing the difference, I may as well give this up now.

Clarification would be extremely useful at this point.

I'm pretty sure the default option is to include Track FX when freezing. It must be because that's what mine is set at and I don't recall every changing any setting there.

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:mixing tips 2011/06/09 08:34:43 (permalink)
    Are we by any chance confusing Freezing a synth with freezing a track?

That would be my guess. I've never frozen a track - only a synth.

Thanks for the screenshots - they seem to confirm what I believe to be the source of the confusion.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Chappel
    Re:mixing tips 2011/06/09 08:57:49 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

Are we by any chance confusing Freezing a synth with freezing a track?

That would be my guess. I've never frozen a track - only a synth.

Thanks for the screenshots - they seem to confirm what I believe to be the source of the confusion.

I've never frozen a track. That option is always grayed out for me.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:mixing tips 2011/06/09 13:22:04 (permalink)
    When I freeze a synth, I have noticed that the FX bin is frozen as well.

That is why I mentioned that before I mix down I will go back and unfreeze the synth and BOUNCE it to an audio track. That allows me to apply FX to the bin if I wish, and have them fully functional.

I don't recall the exact problem with a frozen synth/FX bin but I recall there is some sort of problem getting NEW fx to work in a frozen track/synth/fx bin.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:mixing tips 2011/06/09 19:45:45 (permalink)
    I always mix as I go. I mean think about it. If the ultimate goal is to record it as it should sound, how can you know how it should sound unless you are tracking it against stuff that already sounds how it should sound?

When you watch documentaries about the making of great albums and they spend two weeks just getting the drum sound, that's mixing as you go. They don't just throw up some mics record some drums and then start mixing it.

If you are really interested in learning how to record things such that it works as recorded as much as possible, and I think that should be the goal, then you have to be mixing as you go, and there's no real separation between tracking and mixing, since you are mixing by spending the time to find the tones that work together.

What's left at the end is, it seems to me, what used to be called mixing, where you juice up a recording that sounds great as recorded already, adding f/x and a little automation, fades etc..., not the modern version of mixing where you take a bunch of raw material and try to twist it into a song after the fact.

That's my opinion anyway. What 'mixing' means has changed from taking great sounding *recordings* and adding pizazz to actually creating the output in the mix. So it's hard to really even talk about it meaningfully when probably everyone views the process as something different.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    munmun
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1319
    Re:mixing tips 2011/06/10 09:50:25 (permalink)
    I bounce soft synths to audio for archiving.  That way in 5 years even if I no longer have the soft synth I have access to  the track.
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:mixing tips 2011/06/10 10:25:38 (permalink)
    and remember to backup by bouncing individual tracks out to audio..
    otherwise, same problem with archived 'cakewalk' proprietary files.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    Re:mixing tips 2011/06/10 11:08:20 (permalink)
    I've been watching Alan Parson's "Art & Science of Sound Recording" and his old school methodologies I've applied to my modern practices with excellent results.  You can buy individual modules for $1.99 and I highly recommend "A BAND TRACKING SESSION" and "MIXING" modules.  You can watch and hear Alan mix in real time on the MIXING module.  It's pretty cool.

http://www.artandscienceofsound.com/

I've sat in old-fashioned Analog studios and now working in the box, and I still love watching an experienced mixer at work.  Besides, c'mon, it's Alan Parsons - the guy who mixed Pink Floyd's DARK SIDE OF THE MOON!

Basically, he mixes everything but the drums and bass (muting the latter).  Gets it sounding good and balanced, then he moves on to bass and drums (while muting everything else).  He learned this from Beatles a beatles mixologist.  I then grouped my drums to make it easier to bring them up.  Besides a touch of EQ, it really got things sounding nice and balanced!

You know what - it really helped me!!!  I did it last night and was very happy.  It may be my new methodology.  I needed a game plan!!  LOL.
    post edited by spindlebox - 2011/06/10 11:09:22

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:mixing tips 2011/06/10 11:50:54 (permalink)
    +1 to all the "mixing as you go". I'd actually call it "producing as you go".

droddey
    Re:mixing tips 2011/06/11 00:49:55 (permalink)
    I have the Alan Parsons DVD set if anyone wants it. It's in like new condition. I'd trade it for a guitar pedal or something.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re:mixing tips 2011/06/11 01:21:25 (permalink)
    droddey

I have the Alan Parsons DVD set if anyone wants it. It's in like new condition. I'd trade it for a guitar pedal or something.

Didn't get much out of it?  Or is the "guitar pedal or something" a really nice one?

So, what was your opinion of the DVD?

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    droddey
    Re:mixing tips 2011/06/11 14:02:52 (permalink)
    Oh, no, it's not that I didn't get anything out of it. I've just watched it enough now, and I was watching the downloadable  versions for quit some time before the DVDs were available, that I've absorbed the lessons at this point.

I think it's a well done set. It's actually three DVDs, not one, so there's quite a bit of info there. There's also some nice interviews with well known musicians, engineers, and producers that are very interesting as well. It covers the gamut from hardware, software, EQ, compression, gating, delay and reverb, room treatment and acoustics, studio construction, mixing, recording bass, guitar, drums, keyboards, and vocals, mic'ing technique. Ultimately it leads up to a full studio session to record and mix a song. There's also some extras stuff like recording a choir and whatnot.

So there's quite a lot of stuff in there. It's not going to be anything that an experienced engineer would be suprised about, but that's because it's for folks like us who aren't fully experienced yet. As with any such endeavor as this, you aren't suddenly going to get 10 times better after watching it. It's still about learning how to apply what you've learned. It just gives you a lot of stuff to start learning how to apply and explains why you would want to. It's fairly agnostic about hardware vs. software, and he demonstrates both. Clearly you know where his preference lies, but he uses a fair hand to demonstrate both options.

I also had Mix it Like a Record at one point. The two aren't very similar really. MilaR obviously is all about mixing. It's a ummmm... mix'ture of at the DAW in the box mixing of a single song, interspersed with more philosophical thoughts about mixing as an art.

The Parsons stuff, as it says, is more about recording. Ultimately I think that recording is much more important. If you can do that really well, a lot less mixing is required. A big reason that mixing is so hard in the pro world is that so much of what they get isn't recorded well and they have to make it sound like it was. If you watch Milar, the bulk of what he does is take a song that was recorded one way (not really badly, but a particular way) and makes it sound like it was recorded a completely different way. Ultimately, to me, though that's obviously a very useful and powerful skill, I don't believe it's really something that any of us self-recorders should strive for, since if you have to do that you aren't recording yourself right to begin with.

So I think that the Parsons material is vastly more appropriate for the self-recorder, at least it's vast more important for those folks who are interested in learning how to do it right to begin with. Yeh, when he does his mix he does it on a big board, but if you look at what he does, it would make for a quite spare mix setup in an ITB mix. The material was well recorded to begin with, so it doesn't need a lot of twiddling. Though he does show a vocal comping session as well where they take some best of vocal phrases on his own vocal part.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1