How we hear things at different volumes (the Fletcher-Munson curve)

Author
craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
2011/06/08 18:16:59 (permalink)

How we hear things at different volumes (the Fletcher-Munson curve)

On other forums it seems I'm posting this link about once every six months since the topic comes up repeatedly.  Sometimes the issue is brought up when someone wants to mix wearing headphones or sets up their guitar tones at bedroom volume.  Basically, our ears hear things differently at various volumes which is why something that sounds great at low volumes has too much bass and high end when played louder (and also why car stereos have that "Loudness" button - though using it at higher volumes has become all too normal and annoying).

Here's the document:  http://www.nwdreamer.com/misc/FletcherMunsonCurve.doc

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!

1 Reply Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:How we hear things at different volumes (the Fletcher-Munson curve) 2011/06/08 21:16:02 (permalink)
    Hence the reason why I like to work with the K system standard. Many people do not have any terms of reference about digital recording levels. I have heard a million different levels mentioned around here. eg rms should be this, peaks up to that etc.

Any sound contains a peak and an rms element. With the K system you are recording at precise rms levels within your digital system on tracks, busses and final mixes. K system has two aspects to it. One is digital ref levels and the other is monitoring level.

Many people would monitor at every SPL level under the sun. It should average around 85 db SPL as well. This a good compromise on the Fletcher Munson curves. (and OH&S) Of course it is cool to work at higher and lower levels than that and we all do but overall it should come back to that level.

I have done a bit of research about A and C weighting too. I don't fully agree with that article right at the end. (it says use A and check with C) Even Bob Katz says it is the C weighting we should use. Once bass is involved and once the SPL reaches 85 then it is C weighting that you should be using. If you listen to music at 85 db SPL A weighting it will sound pretty loud!

But good to bring it up. Your mixes will improve immediately just by regulating your monitor levels more closely. I have got a mike suspended over the top of my speakers and its calibrated to show 85 db when the sound level meter shows 85 db. It feeds a rack mounted display so I can see how loud things are all the time. It is extravagant but very helpful though.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1