EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please)

Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
2011/06/08 23:46:37 (permalink)

EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please)

GuitarHacker offered a URL to an EQ chart ... which has me hoping for better EQ techniques on the track, buss-stem, and master levels. THIS CHART IS GOOD 

I've heard pro-mixes here and on monophonic radio ... where there are smart EQ deliniations between electric guitars, vocs, and snares.

I constantly experiment with the car-radio equalizer to help get ideas of how to repair "tinny" or boomy masters.

Danny started explaining his inverse techniques.  But I hope to regain strategies from everyone (great or small).

Please explain your strategies clearly: like:

"I reduce the guitar buss 3 decibels, at 2.2 kHz, q=1", to allow snare and voc timbre.

"My band likes boomy toms, so I raise these 6 decibels, at 580Hz, q=2.5"

"Etc."
post edited by Philip - 2011/06/08 23:50:12

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501

25 Replies Related Threads

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/06/09 01:55:13 (permalink)
    This one is really a tough call, Philip. The reason being, the instrument prints/captures are never the same. Some sounds may have mids accentuated that literally make the sound what it is and you don't want to curb that, so you have to be careful.

One thing that I have always done when working with kick and bass guitar is, I like to map out my sounds before I record. If the song in my head should have more of a "Boom" type kick drum, then I know that the bass guitar I use will have less low end in it. If I'd rather more of a snappy kick with a bit more beater in it, I know I can have more low end in my bass guitar. If keys/strings etc will be in the mix, I decide if they will be dominant or filler type keys. If they will be dominant, I can get away with more mids in them...if they will be fillers, I know the mids and low end will need to be curbed if rockin' guitars will be in the mix.

It's tough to just say "well, I cut this and this in order to allow this to be heard more" because unless you are using the exact same instruments for every print, there's no way to determine what to cut or boost. It depends on the instruments you printed as well as what you expect out of your mix. For example...

In one tune, you may want your bass guitar to have a bit more 80 hz than it would normally have. You may want to add a bit of bass guitar clack at 2k or 2.5k...it depends on the sound. You may need to cut out 300hz...you just never know until the sound is in place. But if this were the case, it tells you what you'll need to do to your kick drum because you can't have that same boost or they will mask each other. So we may have to add some low end at 50-60 hz for the kick to have some low end meat and add a little 6-8k for some beater clack/presence....but again, unless we can hear what the kick drum is doing, all these numbers are just numbers.

In order for back up vocals to shine through a mix, you want to thin them out a bit from like 600hz to 800hz. This removes some of the thickness, but it also removes the blanket that could stop these from being masked within the lead vocals. But again, it depends on the mic used, how many back up vocals, what the timbre of the voice is, how much natural low end comes from the voice, is it a female vocal to where it may be lacking a bit of low end and it sounds a bit thin? These are all the things to consider, but again, meaningless unless we are listening to the sound that is being tweaked.

You like boomy, cannon sounding toms, for the right impact, you make them have the most low end in the mix and thin out the bass guitar and the kick drum. You'll also have to decide where you want the low end in the toms to be. This will dictate the decisions you make on the bass and kick. But the other side of the coin here is, the toms will not be sounding throughout the entire song, so you have to find a happy medium to where they have impact when they hit, have the low end that you need, but aren't adding this "whoommmfff' of low end that crushes the mix when they DO appear. They can also easily be masked by a bass guitar or a kick drum to where you have less impact...so you have to be careful.

For someone to come on here and say "Well, you need to high pass this and this, and remove mids here and curb highs here" would be pretty much a waste in my opinion. You just can't make that call without hearing the instruments in question. Sometimes, the instrument sounds themselves accentuate things that most people take away by default. By doing this and living by "eq templates" or however they may be set in their ways, they are depriving the instrument of "its natural sound" which is what we want at all times. Something shouldn't have to be so curbed that you no longer like what it sounds like. However, you do have to fit it in the mix and sometimes this can be challenging.

Another example. If we have a kickin' tune with a beater present kick drum and we have a nice low "ooom" sounding bass, what do you do with the killer string pad you just added that has left hand bass notes? You have 2 choices. You remove the left hand bass notes because they are not really needed with a bass guitar that has the nice lows we need already, or you high pass the heck out of the string patch until the low notes are not walking on anything. Or, you curb the lows in the bass guitar, give it a bit more "clack" and allow the string patch lows to be the emphasis of your low end.

But again, and I stress this, it depends on the instrument print as well as what frequencies you decide to push before we can even make a decision on what to cut or boost. We can all give you starting points as to what we remove, but this isn't the same for every project and it sholdn't ever be the same unless you are working on an album where the same instruments appear. Even there, sometimes what you use on 5 songs may not work on 3 additional songs on the same album. This is also due to what keys the songs are in. If we have a bass guitar playing one of those low B strings, you'll need to set up a different eq for that or you may need to automate for each time that low B shows itself in the mix. 8 out of 10 times, that low B is going to leap out and say "I AM A BASS PLAYING A LOW B NOTE, HEAR ME ROAR BABY!" :)

So keep in mind that there are lots of things that need to be considered when doing this stuff. If you compiled the info from 10 guys on here that gave you the techniques they use for this, I would bet that only a small fraction of their info would apply to you based on their instrument sounds vs. the ones you are coming up with.

The more you do this stuff and learn how to deal with eq as well as what to expect out of it, the better you get at making the right decisions. Another thing to keep in mind is, there are certain frequencies that are not needed in some instruments. Removing them completely actually cleans up the instrument. Do this on all your tracks and the mix suddenly sounds like a million bucks because it doesn't have the garbage in it any longer.

Let's look at a few instruments.

Kick drums: These are difficult to handle at times because you can literally tweak frequencies successfully from 40hz up to about 6-7 k But after 7k (which some might think is too high to work, however you can get a bit of air in your beater in that area) you don't need anything there...so you could remove it all from 7k on up. 

Snares: Not much low end needs to be in a snare, but it depends on how thick you need it to be. Most times, you can remove 150 Hz on down because it's not needed in a snare.

Cymbals: Remove lows and selective low mids completely. Some times we want a little beef in a cymbal that may be thin, so you can add a slight bit of low mid to enhance this. Remove 16k on up if you can depending on how much sssss or "air" you want.

Toms: Depending on how many and what sizes, you don't need any high end after about 7-8 k in these. Remove *some* mids and low mids if you want them a bit more punchy for a less classic rock sound...more low mids and mids for more of warmer classic rock sound. Watch for sub lows. I like to remove anything under 90hz on these other than a floor tom that may need a bit of low end.

Guitars: Nothing under 80hz is needed in any guitar tone. Some people high pass from 100 hz on down...I've went as high as 200 hz on down. Again, it depends on the sound, the player, the guitar, the amp and how it was captured before I can determine this. 600-800 for warm mids, 2k-5k for highs...anything else higher, will give you "sizzle". Watch 300 for mud, and 400-500 for boxiness.

Bass guitar: Most bass guitar low end is heard from 75 hz to about 120 hz. I don't like sub lows in my bass guitar, so I'll remove all that stuff. Watch for the 300 hz range...this is what muds up a bass. You shouldn't need any high end frequencies after like 4k or so...most times, you won't hear high end going into a bass after 3k, but at 4k, you can get a bit of air in there. 5k on up, get rid of it totally. But again, this depends on the bass. Maybe you want a percussive type bass...if so, you may wan it a bit clacky or airy in the highs.

Piano: Treat it like a guitar on the low end. Depending on the sound, high pass until it sounds like the low end mask has been removed and it sounds like "tickled ivories" instead of piano with a low mid or low end bass mask. Mids and high end here depend on the sound of the piano. Most times though, curbing the mids at about 860hz will do wonders for a piano...but this depends on how much low mids it may have. Again, 300 can kill ya.

Strings: Watch low notes if there is a bass guitar in the mix. High pass until you don't hear the low end notes fighting with the bass guitar. Again, pinpointing where to cut depends on what we're faced with. We might be able to let a little 110 hz slide through here. It depends on the sound we're using. Cut mids if this will be filler instrument, if it's the dominant one, eq to taste, but watch the lows and low mids. Strings can easily engulf an entire mix and mask everything if you're not careful. Anything after 6k will be giving you air type high end. However, sometimes it's nice to back down 4k a bit and bring in some of the upper air freq's for texture. Again, yep, you guessed it, it depends on the sound.

So in all honestly, none of the above means a thing really because it will depend on what your vision will be for these instruments. The great thing about this field is the ability to experiment and go against the grain. As long as nothing is masking and everything is audible, you're right where you need to be. We can't just do something because we read that we are supposed to do it. We need to try it with the instruments we are using along with the vision we have for this particular mix. Some instruments just sound cool when we leave what would normally be "offending frequencies" in the mix. We then fix the others to accommodate. That's another method to use. Sometimes we hear this killer sound, but it may not work in the mix. You either make it work by tweaking it, or you tweak all the others to compliment it and find a happy medium. Just remember there are no rules really, just starting points and guidelines. Sorry I can't be more helpful here, but this is just a huge topic that has too many possibilities to give you correct answers on.
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/06/09 02:02:19

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Philip
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/06/09 03:05:38 (permalink)
    Danny, I got a chance to pre-read this; much validates my suspicians, but you've scrupulously tackled this behemoth (as others may testify).  I'll re-read this tomorrow and the day after, as you've got quite an inspiring set of words that are easy to understand and worth taking to heart, IMHO.

Some permanent side-pearls here:

-- utmost memory for vision/inspiration (initial sketch) 1st and foremost ... before EQing

-- clean every track of blemishes/noise

-- discover the offending frequencies that compete

-- be willing to break the rules

-- backing vocs: reduce in 600-800 Hz if blanketing the lead

-- many specifics on the instruments which I must re-read for permanent learning.

Thank you my friend!

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Danny Danzi
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/06/09 03:30:21 (permalink)
    You're quite welcome, Philip. I'm just glad some of this stuff I share helps you out...and thank God I can type fast to post these huge scrolls. LOL!

One other thing real fast. Did you ever listen to a pro mix and not really like it? When this happens, chances are quite a few others will not like it either. I think you are a lot like me in what I can tell from your posts. You try to like something about every mix and try not to discard it as bad, am I right? That's a good way to be. The reason being, this allows artistic flair to be accepted in your world. I'm like that as well. I try my best to take something good from a mix or a style of music that I may not be down with. The reason being, that is the artist/producer's take on artistic creativity and if a majority of people do not like the mix or instruments chosen, he's probably gone against the grain and broken some rules. But to HIM, his instruments and the mix sounded good.

My point in saying that to you is, you may create a mix that you love that the majority may not like. That doesn't mean it's a bad mix. Even if people you hold credible respond that it's a bad mix or they may not like a particular instrument, it's still not a bad choice if you like what you hear. This going against the grain stuff as well as breaking the rules, is important my friend. It really is. It gives you a chance to say "well, guess what, I made this tune for ME based on MY vision, world!"

However, all of the above is perfectly acceptable...as long as you don't have any blatant issues, masking, or artifacts. To me, if a mix is audible and is pleasant to listen to without annoying high end, too much mid range congestion for the sake of "warmth" and sub low end booming all over (unless it's rap, hip hop or *some* R&B) it's a good mix. I don't like some of the instruments in some Beatles songs, but I love the Beatles and their tunes. Just some of those sounds didn't sit well with me. We can say this about any mix in creation really, but there comes a time to where we need to be less subjective and just say "is this good or isn't it" without someone mixing the tune in their own image. That totally ruins the vibe in my opinion, don't you think? I love when people can help you with problem areas and state the specifics when things are blatantly obvious to them, but to just give an opinion for the sake of "Well, I would have done this instead" just to me, doesn't really hold as much clout as it used to. I think how we listen to something is extremely important...and accepting something for what it is instead of what someone may want it to be, is of the utmost importance in my opinion.

So do your thing and enjoy it. Don't be afraid to experiment and don't be afraid to show the artist in you. At the end of the day, most people (unless your a signed artist releasing to the world) will listen to your tunes 5 times more or less and they may never revisit the tune again. You on the other hand as the creator, will have to live with it forever...so you make sure you please yourself first and foremost. :)

My Site
    jamescollins
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 747
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/06/09 04:56:50 (permalink)
    Danny, you are the internet's most outrageously long poster! Unlike the others though, your posts are always worth reading!

Keep it up, you rule.

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    Danny Danzi
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/06/09 05:03:13 (permalink)
    jamescollins

Danny, you are the internet's most outrageously long poster! Unlike the others though, your posts are always worth reading!

Keep it up, you rule.

Uggh, I know James. Trust me, the long novel posts bother me so bad. I wish I could be less wordy, but can't seem to cut things down when I go into teacher mode. LOL! I guess I'd rather be long and informative over being short, sweet and making someone I reply to have additional questions. I thank you for the kind words though and I'm glad you enjoy my posts. :) I figure those that are really into this stuff will get a good read out of it and those that aren't, will just call me a wordy baystid and move on. :) Thanks again.

My Site
    LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/06/09 08:06:29 (permalink)
    + 1
    To appreciating your long, informative posts Danny.  This is an excellent post I will probably reference more than once.
    Thanks

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/06/09 10:27:48 (permalink)
    HONESTLY, i find that the interaction between different tracks, is always more critical than any single track having eq issues.

in fact, i track flat, with no eq.

and hopefully, very little is needed at mixdown.

can you HEAR what you are tracking accurately, while your are tracking?

in other words, are you able to hear that the bass is wrong, or the midrange too strong, or the mic position needs to be changed, or that the source, is just flat out wrong/right?

if you can't, then you need to ignore all these EQ parameters, and start focusing on getting it right at the microphone first.

the quality of the source, is key.
    and then the capture.

and then,
     the EQ.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Philip
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/06/09 13:41:35 (permalink)
    Danny, I hope I think exactly like you, only you are far more advanced both vertically and horizontally -- ha ha!  I also agree with your novel writing, which inspires and makes us grow ... though oft I have to raise to your level or stretch to your boundaries.

-- "Very little is needed at mixdown"

What?

Bat, I'm a music painter; I follow you and love your artistic vibe and seriously adore your mixes.  But I prefer the eclectic palattes, like Danny.  Strict Classic rock isn't my cup of tea, anymore, TBH.  Albeit You've emulated Yes, and the Yes producer got pretty artistic and laborious (I forgot his name).  (Probably not with low-end EQ -- lol)

Consider, my mixes are more beatzy than yours ... my target audiences are also roller skaters and children, not just us crony classic rock lovers. 

Mixdown takes me an inordinant amount of time and labor of love!  (300 hours per song).  I mix a 'child' ... not a hireling.

What you and Hook do is utmost traditional excellence (old school mixing).  I pioneer across many genres and colorful complexities: hip hop, R&B, etc. with some of your traditionalism (hybrids).  I do not wish to get hyper-competent at traditional old classic rock sketches.

I much prefer 'in-the-box' + 'out-of-the-box": 'Hood vocals', producer-loops, synth bass, synth kick, EWQL Les Paul, disco strings, beatz, rap, and genre hybrids ... then you'll appreciate that the source samples and mics are not always so critical.

I can't stress this enough:  There are beautiful symphonies besides classic garage rock

... these always require a lot of EQ considerations, filters, etc. as they do conflict with other novel instruments.

EQing is my chief problem right now.

That said, I have messed up a lot of instruments with EQ and will continue to destroy them for better or worse.

Philip  

batsbrew
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/06/09 14:46:54 (permalink)
    hi philip. 

the style of music, really is not important.

what is important, is the development of 'listening'.

so, if what is coming out of your (whatever) and going into your mic, sounds exactly the way you want it to play back, the key is in the capture.

i've never emulated the band YES, on any level.
    if it sounds like YES, it's strictly by accident. 

and i do not write classic rock.

i write modern today right now rock. at least in my mind.

so there are crossover points, where certain things take on qualities that are derivitive of classic recordings....

study these classics for sonics, then move on to more modern sounds, the study of the EQ of classics are a great learning ground.

me, i currently use many modern recordings as the touchstones for my eq efforts...

CosmoSquad, A Perfect Circle,  Guano Apes, Joe Satriani, foo fighters, as well as some older fusion stuff: Brand X, Todd Rundgren, UK, Holdsworth..
    that's more where i've actually coming from.

actually, in closing, i guess what i'm trying to say is, i'm trying to forge my own mixing style.
    but starting with classic mixes, is a great way to get rolling.

being a singer/songwriter that uses guitars to write with, i can hardly get away from the 'classic' cubbyhole!

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Danny Danzi
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/06/09 18:37:10 (permalink)
    Philip

Danny, I hope I think exactly like you, only you are far more advanced both vertically and horizontally -- ha ha!  I also agree with your novel writing, which inspires and makes us grow ... though oft I have to raise to your level or stretch to your boundaries.

-- "Very little is needed at mixdown"

What?

Bat, I'm a music painter; I follow you and love your artistic vibe and seriously adore your mixes.  But I prefer the eclectic palattes, like Danny.  Strict Classic rock isn't my cup of tea, anymore, TBH.  Albeit You've emulated Yes, and the Yes producer got pretty artistic and laborious (I forgot his name).  (Probably not with low-end EQ -- lol)

Consider, my mixes are more beatzy than yours ... my target audiences are also roller skaters and children, not just us crony classic rock lovers. 

Mixdown takes me an inordinant amount of time and labor of love!  (300 hours per song).  I mix a 'child' ... not a hireling.

What you and Hook do is utmost traditional excellence (old school mixing).  I pioneer across many genres and colorful complexities: hip hop, R&B, etc. with some of your traditionalism (hybrids).  I do not wish to get hyper-competent at traditional old classic rock sketches.

I much prefer 'in-the-box' + 'out-of-the-box": 'Hood vocals', producer-loops, synth bass, synth kick, EWQL Les Paul, disco strings, beatz, rap, and genre hybrids ... then you'll appreciate that the source samples and mics are not always so critical.

I can't stress this enough:  There are beautiful symphonies besides classic garage rock

... these always require a lot of EQ considerations, filters, etc. as they do conflict with other novel instruments.

EQing is my chief problem right now.

That said, I have messed up a lot of instruments with EQ and will continue to destroy them for better or worse.
    Hahah thanks Philip, much appreciated. (thanks to you too LPMike!) I think I can put what Bat said into perspective for you. I'm not attempting to speak for him, but I took his post a bit differently than you might have.

In my recordings as well as those that record pro material, when you capture the sound the way it should be captured, you really don't have to mess with eq like you may be doing over there. A good capture is literally 80% of the battle in this field, it truly is. When you have great captures on all instruments, and you know what to listen for as you are capturing, you find there is less you need to do when you mix-down because it's been pre-done already in the tracking part.

Now that said, the other part of Bat's post mentions something really important which will lead me to your 300 hours comment. He mentions "can you HEAR what you are tracking accurately, while you're tracking?" This is super important Philip...and is equally important when you mix. I'm wondering if you may need to have your room or monitors tuned...or maybe invest in that ARC plugin I've been bragging about for a few years now? A mix should take you 6-8 hours to get solid tops depending on how many instruments. From there you take a break and listen the next day for possible changes. Now these changes, should not be anything major. You may need to adjust a few levels, maybe something was a bit bright etc...but for the most part, you should nail this in one shot and if you aren't, that tells me 2 possible issues.

1. Your room and monitors probably need tuning because they are giving you a false representation of what you should be hearing. If you are one that makes a CD and takes it out to your car with a note pad, you are in need of room tuning and monitor tuning/calibration. Nothing should ever go out to the car to be tweaked because when you come back in and listen in your studio, the question remains "if you heard it in the car, why didn't you hear it here?" And "why would I trust a $500 car stereo and not the awesome recording monitors I have in my studio?" So if that's you, we need to fix your room and your monitors. Trust me man, I dealt with this for over 15 years before I did something about it and the day I did, the black clouds over my head disappeared for life.

2. Maybe you are still a bit inexperienced as to what calls to make and how to fix them. I sincerely do not believe this because I've heard your mixes and think if there is an issue in your realm, it's with lack of monitor/room tuning and not your skill level at all.

Now, you guys both mention stylistic preferences in both of your posts. Believe it or not, this IS important and here's why. Listening to Bat's awesome music, I heard what appears to be hard rock with a classic rock element with some progressive roots and some sonic electric guitar. Great stuff Bats, you're an awesome musician, engineer and writer! That said, from the stuff I heard from you verses Philips stuff, you have way more room in your material than he does. Philip has so many instruments going on in his mixes verses yours, there really isn't much we can compare between them. He'll always have a more challenging time than you will with the current stuff I hear from you. Please understand, that is not a bash on you at all. I'm simply saying that Philip has way more to deal with as far as instruments and different parts that would be troublsome in a mix environment.

The style to me DOES matter. Philip has keys and hip hop grooves, horns, female voices and male voices, fake drums, real drums, real guitars, synth guitars....that's a huge production that will take some time to eq to make everything stay out of each others way even if it's tracked perfectly. Each one of his instruments need a pan field and the more instruments you have in a mix, the more problematic it *can* become at times. It would almost be like you and me trying to include our rock stuff in with Randy B's incredible classical work with all those orchestra pieces he uses. The more we have, the more cluttlered we can be so this is where styles really do matter.

For rock stuff, we got a drum kit, a bass, maybe 2 rhythm guitars in stereo, a lead guitar, a few cleans, lead vocals some back ups and maybe a Hammond or strings or even piano. That type of mix is really quite easy to put together. Now take a look at Philip's material. LOL! See my point? He's got so much more going on from all directions, that there makes it challenging. Again, I'm not trying to discredit you (or heck, even myself because I too am a rocker) but I would have to peacefully disagree that styles can make a difference. They truly can based on the instruments used as well as how many of them are used.

Interaction between tracks vs, single track issues: This is a catch 22, but it all stems back to what Bats had mentioned about tracking accurately so you don't have to spend loads of time eqing. That said, the toughest part of mixing is to make all the instrument tracks compliment each other. If you are soloing instruments up and eqing them, that tells me 2 possible things.

1. You didn't track properly and you're trying to fix problem areas.

OR

2. You are so into eqing individual instruments for good sound that you are missing the boat. Each time we eq something by itself, we are eqing it as an entity. This is not always a safe move. As soon as you make something sound good on its own, you will probably fail miserably when you put this instrument in the mix. Each instrument adds something to the field that the other does not. When we eq something all alone, we allow too much space within that instrument to be present via eq. We need to always eq within a mix because each instrument helps to make up the over-all sound. For example, most newer engineers feel bass guitar needs to be low endy. This is not the case realistically speaking. If you listen to a pro album without using an eq in a music player (all onboard eq's for players like winamp, win media etc here in DanziLand are permanently disabled for life...don't use them) and find a spot where the bass is alone, you will notice it doesn't have anywhere near the low end people think it should have. The bass you think you hear comes from all the other instruments adding to it when the full mix plays.

When you hear a guitar in a mix, you guitar players...it doesn't have the low end in it that you think it does when you try to cop the sound. Listen to it closely in a spot where the killer guitar tone is all alone. The bass you think you hear is the bass from the bass guitar as well as over-all bass overtones from the sum of bass, guitar, and heck, even kick drum at times. So each sound literally reinforces the others. If we solo things up and eq them, we end up with mud and a bunch of other crap that will make your mixing endeavor a time consuming nightmare. So to sum this up really, here are my thoughts.

If you are taking a week, a month or several weeks or months to mix:

1. Get a good set of monitors, tune them, tune your room and honest when I tell you, that ARC plugin works...and this will change your world.

2. Once you do number 1 above, you will now be able to hear the right things. Things that you couldn't hear before because your room/monitors were bringing out too much, or masking the stuff that shouldn't have been masked. This will totally change your world now that what you hear TRULY is what you hear.

3. Now that you can hear things properly, the next stage of the game is knowing how to deal with what you hear. Sometimes you need to make drastic changes, other times subtle to no changes at all. This is because now that you can hear, you are also tracking things more accurately.

4. Tracking accurately is important. You should be able to track something that is so good, you will barely need to eq it when you go to mix it. Anything that you think may be a problem to where you think for a second "ah, I'll fix it in the mix" should be something that should be re-tracked immediately...or at least archived and THEN retracked. The decisions you make while tracking will be decisions that make your mixing experience 100% better, faster, more accurate and with less issues to worry about.

When all of the above is taken care of, a mix should take you 90% less time to do than it is taking you now. If all the right stuff is there, you really shouldn't have much to do. My mixes these days (depending on the size and how much is involved) take me 4-8 hours realistically speaking. The ones that take 8 hours are *usually* not projects that were recorded by me. I do lots of client remixes over here and some of them, well...lets just say the instruments should have never been tracked to begin with. But, you learn from stuff like that too. But 4-8 hours should get you a great mix that needs minimal (if any) tweaking the next day when you play it back. That's when you know you have a well oiled machine and everything is where it should be in your realm. Hope some of this helps. :)
    **edited for incredibly stupid spelling mistakes**
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/06/09 18:47:11

My Site
    Philip
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/06/10 11:57:38 (permalink)
    A lot of excellent understanding here, per Danny.  For the record, I think we can all concur Bats' music is awesome ... as a 'performer', too; I'd never hope to compare to his seasoned savy. 

Yet, as a fanatical hacker-composer, I think I can somewhat approach his traditional excellence, in some of his vibe areas.

Back to reality.  I think my mixing issues are obviously per Danny's observations and possibly a 3rd.  I feel like every mix is a 'child' that grows into *new* versions (like good wine -- ha ha!)

I'll comment more later (at work); and will research the ARC plugin ASAP.

EDIT: June 13, 11

I bought the arc plugin (crossgrade) and will bump this after tests.
    post edited by Philip - 2011/06/13 17:59:45

Philip  

Deisel401rs
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 132
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/06/20 09:58:06 (permalink)
    Wow. . . . . I'll be studying this thread for quite a while. Lots of great info for beginners and advanced. Thanx folks.

Core 2 Quad Q8300, 8 gigs DDR2, WIN7 x64,Sonar PE 8.7.7, SATA WD650gig(primary), SATA WD160gig(audio),SATA Maxtor(loops,samples) WD320gig external(backup), MOTU 828mkII, Line 6 UX8, ,  Alesis DM5, Edirol PCR-M80, Wharfedale 8.1s, '86 Les Paul Studio Lite, Fender Blackout Tele, Breedlove Acoustic/Electric Bass, Schecter Deluxe Bass, Dean Luna Acoustic, Line 6 500 Variax. Keeley Compressor, Line 6 PODXT Live, Roland GR-20 Synth.
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/06/21 08:17:28 (permalink)
    Danny, in regards to a track taking 4-8 hours to mix, does this include comping time? I find this is the big killer for me, time wise... Gosh, I'll spend 3-4 hours just comping vocals/harmonies alone, at LEAST! It's not that the singing was so shocking, just that when you have 10-15 takes of a chorus, it gets hard to comp that perfect 'performance'!!! Which take do I chooose?!?!?! I am typically a VERY heavy comper, and am happy to cut/mix/match word for word if it gets me a better result. I understand other people like to keep it one take only (ie best take), if possible, but not me, cause I'm a perfectionist!!! Or do you consider comping part of the tracking stage? Which I guess it kinda is, but I think of it more as a stage on it's own: Tracking - Comping/editing - Mixing - Mastering.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Danny Danzi
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/06/21 10:42:57 (permalink)
    mattplaysguitar

Danny, in regards to a track taking 4-8 hours to mix, does this include comping time? I find this is the big killer for me, time wise... Gosh, I'll spend 3-4 hours just comping vocals/harmonies alone, at LEAST! It's not that the singing was so shocking, just that when you have 10-15 takes of a chorus, it gets hard to comp that perfect 'performance'!!! Which take do I chooose?!?!?! I am typically a VERY heavy comper, and am happy to cut/mix/match word for word if it gets me a better result. I understand other people like to keep it one take only (ie best take), if possible, but not me, cause I'm a perfectionist!!! Or do you consider comping part of the tracking stage? Which I guess it kinda is, but I think of it more as a stage on it's own: Tracking - Comping/editing - Mixing - Mastering.

Hi Matt,

It seems you and I share the same curse. LOL! The mixing was what I was talking about specifically. As far as tracking, yeah that can take me a long time but even there I'm starting to be a bit less anal about it because for some odd reason, I think that after 100 years of doing this, I'm actually getting much better first takes. LOL!

The vocal thing is always a nightmare though. I can't help it...I know it's over-done, I know it's not the in thing anymore, but I just love the Def Lep/Bon Jovi type back up vocals. It's my favorite part of tracking to be honest. I gotta have at least 30 back ups with whisper tracks going on for *some* things. Now my lead vocals, I'm not one that likes to color them too much or double track them. I have pretty good pitch, but that double vocal thing always reminds me of Ozzy and I just hate that sound so bad. I figure, if the sound of my voice isn't decent on its own, I should get someone else to sing. Most times, I sing the lead vocal like 5 times and cut and paste the best parts together. Sometimes I get lucky and have to only do 3 takes. Other times, when something just needs that special something, I do it line at a time/ But once the core is there, the chorus parts can be copied and pasted unless of course the lyrics change somewhere later in the tune...which I seem to be doing a lot of lately. LOL!

But yeah, vocals and back ups are the most time consuming for me. Oh yeah, and lead guitar too. Uggh! I think I hate that most of all. I did a tune on my last album that I just wanted perfect. By the time I was done, it was like 756 takes or something. LOL! The people that were here watching me do it said "dude, you need help...it doesn't sound any different than what you played on the first take...you lunatic!" Hahahaha! They don't hear what I hear though, ya know? I wanted every little part to have something special going on. It was so many takes because I'd punch in on a part that was like 5 seconds long...you know, sometimes you just want a different pick attack, or a different pinch harmonic sound...or you didn't hit the trem bar the right way...or you made a little string slide noise that just was annoying? You know what I mean I'm sure. LOL!

But the solo came out really good. The one thing about me that I think is also a downfall is, I won't record anything that I can't pull off live other than back up vocals and maybe a rhythm guitar. All my guys sing, but we don't sound like a wall of vox. Hahaha! But I force myself to learn everything I record..punch ins and all. If I can't do it live, it doesn't make it on the album. I try not to go too crazy with rhythm guitars these days. I was layering them like mad...but I seem to like the sound of just 2 now with maybe 2 more in a chorus section to bring it to the next level. But all that stuff is pretty easy thank God. It's the lead guitars and back up vocals that take the most time. You'd think I'd be happy to get to the solo sections...yet I can't stand writing/playing solos. I'd rather sing 9 trillion back up vocals. LMAO!! :)
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/06/21 10:46:06

My Site
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/06/21 13:39:50 (permalink)
    I think Danny is trying to say: (not trying to put words into your mouth Danny)

Learn the frequency response of the instruments. And use your ears.

To elaborate a bit further: I have learned that I can set up my EQ in one song for piano, guitar, vocals, whatever..... and save it as a preset. And to me, it sounds really good.

BUT, I can record the very next project and pop that same, sweet, perfected EQ into the same vocal tracks and it sounds completely different. I ALWAYS need to tweeze something in it. Always.

Every song, and every track will sound similar but with enough of a difference that "one size does NOT fit all".

That is why it is so important to learn the frequencies involved, and understand and learn what you need to do to tame those frequencies and understand this at the most basic and fundamental levels as well as into the details as well.

This applies to every aspect of tracking and mixing to get a finished product that has the tracks co-existing peacefully and not stepping all over each other and hiding the details in the tone and timbre of the instruments involved.

As time goes on, and this knowledge becomes part of you, it is then second nature to listen to a track and say "I need to cut the 300hz band by 2 or 3 db and boost the 5k band by 2db..... " to achieve what you want.  I don't think in this manner... in reference to dbs and such, I work by ear. I listen and think the track is a bit hollow or boxy sounding or lacks oooomph or sizzle, and I know, with my gear and software, what to do to get that issue resolved. I spent quite some time playing with the gear experimenting and recording, and posting to get feedback from others to get to this point. I also know that I still have much to learn and that will take time doing more of the same thing.... time in the studio.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Alegria
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2075
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/06/21 15:25:34 (permalink)
    Interesting and informative thread guys. Special kudos to you Danny for taking the time to share your expertise. I appreciate it tremendously. 

Bookmarked!
    batsbrew
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/06/21 16:13:52 (permalink)
    one caveat to eq charts and eq advice:

IF...... you mix in an untreated room, and have overlapping standing waves....

you will NEVER figure the eq balance out in a mix.

at best, you can guess and make adjustments, and learn what the outcome sounds like when you find a scheme that seems to translate everywhere, and get used to that sound while mixing.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Danny Danzi
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/06/22 06:15:36 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

I think Danny is trying to say: (not trying to put words into your mouth Danny)

Learn the frequency response of the instruments. And use your ears.

To elaborate a bit further: I have learned that I can set up my EQ in one song for piano, guitar, vocals, whatever..... and save it as a preset. And to me, it sounds really good.

BUT, I can record the very next project and pop that same, sweet, perfected EQ into the same vocal tracks and it sounds completely different. I ALWAYS need to tweeze something in it. Always.

Every song, and every track will sound similar but with enough of a difference that "one size does NOT fit all".

That is why it is so important to learn the frequencies involved, and understand and learn what you need to do to tame those frequencies and understand this at the most basic and fundamental levels as well as into the details as well.

This applies to every aspect of tracking and mixing to get a finished product that has the tracks co-existing peacefully and not stepping all over each other and hiding the details in the tone and timbre of the instruments involved.

As time goes on, and this knowledge becomes part of you, it is then second nature to listen to a track and say "I need to cut the 300hz band by 2 or 3 db and boost the 5k band by 2db..... " to achieve what you want.  I don't think in this manner... in reference to dbs and such, I work by ear. I listen and think the track is a bit hollow or boxy sounding or lacks oooomph or sizzle, and I know, with my gear and software, what to do to get that issue resolved. I spent quite some time playing with the gear experimenting and recording, and posting to get feedback from others to get to this point. I also know that I still have much to learn and that will take time doing more of the same thing.... time in the studio.

Ah it's ok, put words in my mouth if ya wanna...everyone else does...I've gotten used to it! LOL! Just kiddin' man. :) Yeah, you're spot on with the above post. Even if a person is not completely correct with hearing or choosing a frequency, it's nice to at least get close in your mind. Have a rough idea as to what area needs tweaking at all times I say. You can use an analyzer to show you the real deal anyway, but it's nice to challenge yourself before hand. Sometimes I'm presented with one of those "what the heck frequency is doing that!?" mixes.

And even when you see it needs work using an analyzer, it can still be a little tricky to pinpoint. I just mastered a project that had so much 217 hz in the guitars, it was driving me crazy. The guy wanted it like that though...but it was just super boxey sounding. Almost like there was a blanket thrown over top of his cab. Cool for lead sounds because he likes a really warm sound, but the rhythms had it too and it just sounded way too warm and lifeless. But, in this situation you have to watch how much you remove for a few reasons. It will upset the client for 1, and you'll lose some good stuff that you need a bit of in that area. Sometimes you get rid of the low mids and compensate with mid-mids to get some warmth back while removing the blanket. It depends on the situation really.

Yeah it is always different, that's for sure. But the cool thing is, when you hear what you're supposed to hear all the time, it's easier to make the right calls. When you can make the right calls in an instant due to hearing correctly, you cut your time in 3/4.

Alegria: you're quite welcome....hope some of it helped. :)

My Site
    Philip
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/06/26 22:00:37 (permalink)
    Apparently my term mix is a misnomer.  Mix, for me, includes composing to printing in my mixes.  Especially since I'm a sample-driven composer that constantly seeks the eclectic (like Jeff Lynne).  While I do humble gigs regularly, I'm not a great public musician, I'm mostly a studio freak.

TBH, the reason it takes me 300 hours to mix a song-child is because I work as a painter: mixing includes, song-writing, sketching, composing, arranging, re-composing, re-arranging, etc. ... melodies, progressions, complex rhythms, etc. ... and making about 100 versions of one song.

So much ad-hoc stuff is rarely done in one day (for me); also, the subconscious has to stew and brew.  A song goes through many 'generations' when I mix.  Heck, it takes months at times to reconcile and create-mix a labor of love.

Philip  

Danny Danzi
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/06/27 08:05:46 (permalink)
    Hi Philip,

A few more things to think about for you and also, a quick sanity check since now I understand a bit better what you're doing. :) And, when you read below, you'll see 300 hours isn't really bad at all. :)

There are 2 ways I go about recording. The Client projects and my own projects. With client stuff, you don't get much experimentation because it's on the clock. You hope they come in with a game plan or have tested things in pre-pro before they came to you. Those that didn't either pay for the experiments or they go with it off the cuff.

For our own projects, it's a totally different animal. I may record 3 test projects over the course of a week just to audition sounds for a song I'm about to create. Or, what I log here may become "the sounds" that end up on my album. So it's nothing for me to log 36 hours of sounds just to test them out before I even start recording the song. The good thing for me is, I have logged my sounds for the most part and usually know what I'm going to do before I even record. Sometimes when you do this though, you are faced with not liking the sounds. So, more experimenting can go on if necessary.

When all my sounds are the way I want them, I go into tracking mode and don't look back nor do I try to "mix as I go". This to me is something that I feel can easily make things take way longer than they should because at this phase of the game, (though there really are no rules) my instrument prints should sound good completely naked to where I don't have to mix them to see if they will work. From doing this over time, you learn what works and what doesn't pretty much as soon as you hear it.

An actual recording process for me of a song can take about a week for just tracking. Sometimes I can do the core in a single day...other times, it's over the course of a few days. But when all the tracking is done, a mix will usually never take me longer than about 6 hours and then maybe an hour or 2 tops when I listen again with fresh ears.

Now, if I don't dig things in the mix, I'll try to fix them but I give that a time limit because you should really never struggle to fix anything. It either works and you can carve that spot for it, or it doesn't. When I find something just isn't quite right for me, I just re-track it and 9 times out of 10 this solves my problems. Sometimes there are other instruments in the mix that make you THINK the instrument you are having problems with is the culprit when in reality it isn't. This can really drive you crazy.

I'm working on a project right now that is going to make me bald. LOL! I'm being overly anal with it, but that's just a flaw in my character. My cover band does an old Van Halen show and we are recording a few songs to showcase it. I'm so dead set on getting my tones identical to EVH that I'm losing myself. Last night I worked on the stuff for 4 hours and felt I had it so close, it would be stupid to even try any harder. I wake up today and totally hate it and think the sound I saved before my final save was even better. LOL! It's been quite a challenge to try and make the stuff have an analog flavor and I also took the liberty to try and create the drum kit from the 1984 album...which is nearly exact. But all this stuff took time, experimenting and probably years off my life from diving in too deep when I really didn't have to. LOL!

The good thing for you is a lot of your stuff is samples...which for the most part are really good instrument representations. When you have to create the stuff yourself, it can be quite a nightmare because you are sometimes forced to make an instrument sound like something it wasn't really supposed to sound like. Though that is a cool challenge, it can also be a time consuming curse and a waste of time. I've always been in the school of "if you want that sound, you buy the stuff that makes that sound" and that mentality really has made a difference and cut down the time it takes to accomplish some of this stuff. For example, I have a few drum kits here and various snare drums and samples. I couldn't quite get the snare sound that Alex Van Halen has. I came so close that a normal listener wouldn't be able to tell, but *I* could tell and I just wanted that sound...so I bought the snare. I did submit on the toms though...because there are no samples that I know of that give the sound of those long tubular toms he used...and the samples I have that sound close, sound electronic..so I'll just do the best I can there. :)

But yeah, this stuff can take loads of time when it's ours no matter how we look at it. There is no fast way to create. It would be like telling Rembrandt to paint us a masterpiece in 2 weeks time starting today. It takes some experimenting, trashing ideas, and most of all, inspiration while having good work ethics that allow you to create, but not go too far astray to where you begin wasting valuable time. So looking at things that way as well as what you consider "everything" in that 300 hour time frame, I'd say that's actually a fair representation of what a project would look like for most of us. I was under the impression that the 300 hours was just for mixing which is why I replied the way I did. :)

My Site
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/06/27 08:21:10 (permalink)
    Danny Danzi

mattplaysguitar

Hi Matt,

It seems you and I share the same curse. LOL! The mixing was what I was talking about specifically. As far as tracking, yeah that can take me a long time but even there I'm starting to be a bit less anal about it because for some odd reason, I think that after 100 years of doing this, I'm actually getting much better first takes. LOL!

The vocal thing is always a nightmare though. I can't help it...I know it's over-done, I know it's not the in thing anymore, but I just love the Def Lep/Bon Jovi type back up vocals. It's my favorite part of tracking to be honest. I gotta have at least 30 back ups with whisper tracks going on for *some* things. Now my lead vocals, I'm not one that likes to color them too much or double track them. I have pretty good pitch, but that double vocal thing always reminds me of Ozzy and I just hate that sound so bad. I figure, if the sound of my voice isn't decent on its own, I should get someone else to sing. Most times, I sing the lead vocal like 5 times and cut and paste the best parts together. Sometimes I get lucky and have to only do 3 takes. Other times, when something just needs that special something, I do it line at a time/ But once the core is there, the chorus parts can be copied and pasted unless of course the lyrics change somewhere later in the tune...which I seem to be doing a lot of lately. LOL!

But yeah, vocals and back ups are the most time consuming for me. Oh yeah, and lead guitar too. Uggh! I think I hate that most of all. I did a tune on my last album that I just wanted perfect. By the time I was done, it was like 756 takes or something. LOL! The people that were here watching me do it said "dude, you need help...it doesn't sound any different than what you played on the first take...you lunatic!" Hahahaha! They don't hear what I hear though, ya know? I wanted every little part to have something special going on. It was so many takes because I'd punch in on a part that was like 5 seconds long...you know, sometimes you just want a different pick attack, or a different pinch harmonic sound...or you didn't hit the trem bar the right way...or you made a little string slide noise that just was annoying? You know what I mean I'm sure. LOL!

But the solo came out really good. The one thing about me that I think is also a downfall is, I won't record anything that I can't pull off live other than back up vocals and maybe a rhythm guitar. All my guys sing, but we don't sound like a wall of vox. Hahaha! But I force myself to learn everything I record..punch ins and all. If I can't do it live, it doesn't make it on the album. I try not to go too crazy with rhythm guitars these days. I was layering them like mad...but I seem to like the sound of just 2 now with maybe 2 more in a chorus section to bring it to the next level. But all that stuff is pretty easy thank God. It's the lead guitars and back up vocals that take the most time. You'd think I'd be happy to get to the solo sections...yet I can't stand writing/playing solos. I'd rather sing 9 trillion back up vocals. LMAO!! :)

I pretty much just read that and nodded in understanding the entire way through! I have nothing to add, sounds like that's pretty much exactly how I work too. Oh and I also like to copy paste the chorus if I can too! Saves lots of comping time!

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Philip
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/06/29 12:49:30 (permalink)
    Danny Danzi

Hi Philip,

A few more things to think about for you and also, a quick sanity check since now I understand a bit better what you're doing. :) And, when you read below, you'll see 300 hours isn't really bad at all. :)

There are 2 ways I go about recording. The Client projects and my own projects. With client stuff, you don't get much experimentation because it's on the clock. You hope they come in with a game plan or have tested things in pre-pro before they came to you. Those that didn't either pay for the experiments or they go with it off the cuff.

For our own projects, it's a totally different animal. I may record 3 test projects over the course of a week just to audition sounds for a song I'm about to create. Or, what I log here may become "the sounds" that end up on my album. So it's nothing for me to log 36 hours of sounds just to test them out before I even start recording the song. The good thing for me is, I have logged my sounds for the most part and usually know what I'm going to do before I even record. Sometimes when you do this though, you are faced with not liking the sounds. So, more experimenting can go on if necessary.

When all my sounds are the way I want them, I go into tracking mode and don't look back nor do I try to "mix as I go". This to me is something that I feel can easily make things take way longer than they should because at this phase of the game, (though there really are no rules) my instrument prints should sound good completely naked to where I don't have to mix them to see if they will work. From doing this over time, you learn what works and what doesn't pretty much as soon as you hear it.

An actual recording process for me of a song can take about a week for just tracking. Sometimes I can do the core in a single day...other times, it's over the course of a few days. But when all the tracking is done, a mix will usually never take me longer than about 6 hours and then maybe an hour or 2 tops when I listen again with fresh ears.

Now, if I don't dig things in the mix, I'll try to fix them but I give that a time limit because you should really never struggle to fix anything. It either works and you can carve that spot for it, or it doesn't. When I find something just isn't quite right for me, I just re-track it and 9 times out of 10 this solves my problems. Sometimes there are other instruments in the mix that make you THINK the instrument you are having problems with is the culprit when in reality it isn't. This can really drive you crazy.

I'm working on a project right now that is going to make me bald. LOL! I'm being overly anal with it, but that's just a flaw in my character. My cover band does an old Van Halen show and we are recording a few songs to showcase it. I'm so dead set on getting my tones identical to EVH that I'm losing myself. Last night I worked on the stuff for 4 hours and felt I had it so close, it would be stupid to even try any harder. I wake up today and totally hate it and think the sound I saved before my final save was even better. LOL! It's been quite a challenge to try and make the stuff have an analog flavor and I also took the liberty to try and create the drum kit from the 1984 album...which is nearly exact. But all this stuff took time, experimenting and probably years off my life from diving in too deep when I really didn't have to. LOL!

The good thing for you is a lot of your stuff is samples...which for the most part are really good instrument representations. When you have to create the stuff yourself, it can be quite a nightmare because you are sometimes forced to make an instrument sound like something it wasn't really supposed to sound like. Though that is a cool challenge, it can also be a time consuming curse and a waste of time. I've always been in the school of "if you want that sound, you buy the stuff that makes that sound" and that mentality really has made a difference and cut down the time it takes to accomplish some of this stuff. For example, I have a few drum kits here and various snare drums and samples. I couldn't quite get the snare sound that Alex Van Halen has. I came so close that a normal listener wouldn't be able to tell, but *I* could tell and I just wanted that sound...so I bought the snare. I did submit on the toms though...because there are no samples that I know of that give the sound of those long tubular toms he used...and the samples I have that sound close, sound electronic..so I'll just do the best I can there. :)

But yeah, this stuff can take loads of time when it's ours no matter how we look at it. There is no fast way to create. It would be like telling Rembrandt to paint us a masterpiece in 2 weeks time starting today. It takes some experimenting, trashing ideas, and most of all, inspiration while having good work ethics that allow you to create, but not go too far astray to where you begin wasting valuable time. So looking at things that way as well as what you consider "everything" in that 300 hour time frame, I'd say that's actually a fair representation of what a project would look like for most of us. I was under the impression that the 300 hours was just for mixing which is why I replied the way I did. :)
    Thanks Danny for your excellent well-spoken thoughts concerning my mixing-misnomer.  Van Halen is well respected around here ... leading the classic rock venues to fulfillment ... for top-shelf disciples to follow.  But even their creative phrases and performances were carved to perfection over years of performing publicly: living on stage with crowd-feedback, meglomania, and extremes of public passion-feedback.  To mix too creatively in the studio with Van Halen: I'd suppose such mixing would damage the music and genre.

Rembrandt was oft faster than Vermeer (who took 3 months / painting, IIRC).  Both producers may have had collaborators for portions which sped up there productions.

Some producers go through 'bursts' of apparently speedy mixes, but their whole life may have rehearsed introverted or extraverted performance phrases in the mix.  Like this love-stricken singer who searches for words and phrases, and ponders: "I won't rest til I get this love song both right and cool."

Some artists would cry 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration!

Or this intermediate level noob may cry 99% vanity and 1% keeps.  --Haha!

Yet, I may go through a phase of ala-prima impressionistic VanGogh'd mixes (painterly sketches) that seem perfect and timeless.

Etc etc.

Philip  

Danny Danzi
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/06/29 13:20:35 (permalink)
    Ah you're always welcome Philip. I really enjoy the conversations we have on here and look forward to seeing your posts and questions. As I said before, you seem to always ask about different stuff than most people and I really enjoy how deep we get with this stuff. I just wish there was a way for me to be less wordy in my responses to you. Unfortunately, though I hate when I post you a novel, I think the "novel form" posts create more of an atmosphere to further share the expericience in my opinion. :)

I'm just glad to see you so interested in this stuff and hope that these books I post up never bore you or lose you. If I ever do lose you (can't promise not to bore you lol) please never hesitate to ask me about something. If we have to go over it several times for it to get explained right, I have no problems sharing. Worst case scenario, I do a quick lil video and explain it that way if we're really having problems with something. :) As always, looking forward to your future work and possible questions on the forum here. :) I also hope that your ARC experience is a good one that not only helps you with your mixes, but cuts down the time it takes to get them where you want them. :)

-Danny

My Site
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/07/12 12:15:56 (permalink)
    Another superb topic and very helpful thread, Philip.  Thank you, Danny, for all your tried and true pearls. 
    At least when i get back to Square One this time it's well furnished.
    post edited by No How - 2011/07/12 12:27:10

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Danny Danzi
    Re:EQing the Lower and Upper mids (Producers Please) 2011/07/12 18:41:15 (permalink)
    You're quite welcome, No How. :) Glad they are helpful...and thanks for reading.

My Site
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1